Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6 First Look  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 9/10/2007 3:22 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As the mad scramble by the Big Four to unveil the popular 600 and 1000cc sportbikes begins, Yamaha jumps out of the gate with a revamped YZF-R6. Check out MotorcycleUSA's 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6 - First Look

DJoplin
05' R1

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 1268

Posted 9/10/2007 10:25 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmmm.. Seems this news is gettin around fast..

Rest in peace my friend.

motorwerks919
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 341

Posted 9/11/2007 3:58 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This bike really pisses me off, weight gain???  Have the manuf's not learned that this is a bad thing?
What components does Yamaha site for this gain?  Surely a magnesium-alloy subframe would reduce weight...
(sorry to all people who are annoyed by my incessant weight criticizing)

636ADAM
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 2110

Posted 9/12/2007 4:12 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What about the 08 R1 Will it get the long awaited overhaul?

Don't look at me!
Adam

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 9/12/2007 4:46 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
636ADAM said...
What about the 08 R1 Will it get the long awaited overhaul?

nah, i don't think so.  it just had some changes done for 07' so i'm guessing there won't be any changes til 09'.

slowestrider
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 3

Posted 11/18/2007 9:41 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
motorwerks919 said...
This bike really pisses me off, weight gain??? Have the manuf's not learned that this is a bad thing?
What components does Yamaha site for this gain? Surely a magnesium-alloy subframe would reduce weight...

(sorry to all people who are annoyed by my incessant weight criticizing)

Don't let the total weight number fool you. The added weight will enhance the already superior handling of the R6 to another level with no negative effect beside the number on the spreadsheet.

I can't wait to read the first ride review on this bike.

Chaos
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 1030

Posted 11/19/2007 6:15 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The weights released by the manufacturers are normally a pack of lies anyway. Ride the bike and then decide if it feels heavier.

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4130

Posted 11/19/2007 9:20 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have read quite a bit about this one from various sources now.

I am not a Yamaha fan, and have no interest in 600s, so my opinion means jack sh*t to Yamaha. But still...

My impression of Yamaha is that they often go for the big technology fix, but end up exactly where everyone else is with more basic engineering. Tech for the sake of tech. Best example is the 5-V heads they used for so long - no better than anyone else's stuff, and so they have finally abandoned that in recent years. In the past it was the exhaust "power valves" - okay, that wasn't a total loser, and some other manufacturers picked up on it (Honda - who also do a lot of "tech for tech's sake - read:VTEC). Then drive by wire throttle actuation, and now it is servo-adjustable variable intake length.

Holy mother. No wonder so many of us have retreated to "retro bikes". Who needs all this crap? None of it provides anything that you couldn't easily exceed with "old tech" and another 100 cc of displacement. Since there are no displacement restrictions on what we buy for street use, why should any non-racer want any of this gadgetry overkill? Motorcycles are supposed to be simple.

Like I said, not my cup of tea, so my opinion doesn't matter. Just find it hard to understand why this is such a popular segment among street riders. Super high strung, expensive little bikes with tonnes of technology but still crummy engine characteristics for anything except all out balls-to-the-wall racing. This latest one is just another step down a very long, very wrong path IMHO.

Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre - Joe Klein

EdbearNZ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1190

Posted 11/19/2007 10:42 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
YellowDuck said...

I am not a Yamaha fan, and have no interest in 600s, so my opinion means jack sh*t to Yamaha. But still...

My impression of Yamaha is that they often go for the big technology fix, but end up exactly where everyone else is with more basic engineering. Tech for the sake of tech. Best example is the 5-V heads they used for so long - no better than anyone else's stuff, and so they have finally abandoned that in recent years. In the past it was the exhaust "power valves" - okay, that wasn't a total loser, and some other manufacturers picked up on it (Honda - who also do a lot of "tech for tech's sake - read:VTEC). Then drive by wire throttle actuation, and now it is servo-adjustable variable intake length.

Holy mother. No wonder so many of us have retreated to "retro bikes". Who needs all this crap? None of it provides anything that you couldn't easily exceed with "old tech" and another 100 cc of displacement. Since there are no displacement restrictions on what we buy for street use, why should any non-racer want any of this gadgetry overkill? Motorcycles are supposed to be simple.

Like I said, not my cup of tea, so my opinion doesn't matter. Just find it hard to understand why this is such a popular segment among street riders. Super high strung, expensive little bikes with tonnes of technology but still crummy engine characteristics for anything except all out balls-to-the-wall racing. This latest one is just another step down a very long, very wrong path IMHO.

While I tend to agree with you,here, the bottom line is, well, the "bottom line" and this class of bike is about the hottest seller in the market place! Like F1, it's a showplace for technology and there are obviously a lot of buyers for it out there!

Personally, I've found happiness with my Suzuki C50T Boulevard...

They say you're only young once! I'm trying to make it last...

flickmeister
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1021

Posted 11/20/2007 7:15 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

As far as I'm concerned, technology for technology's sake doesn't accomplish a thing (witness the VTEC crap on the current VFR). To me, it must work better, then I'm all for it. Another example is the 'fly-by-wire' throttle systems Yamaha and Aprilia are producing. Both have been criticized for poor throttle response. As far as I'm concerned, these issues should be perfected before put onto production motorcycles. Once they really are better, it's time to put them on the bikes we buy. We shouldn't be experimental guinea pigs for technology that isn't as good as the current technology. A good example is the 2005-6 GSXR1000. It had no funky, innovative technology, just proven equipment that worked better than any other literbike on the market. It was lighter, faster, stopped better, handled better, yet was more tractable and user friendly than anything produced before it. Even now, the 'latest-greatest' literbikes straight out of the box are no better, or maybe not as good as the K5-6 Gixxer thou'. In this modern era, I see no need for more complicated equipment that will increase the weight of a sportbike. As far as I'm concerned, technology should be aimed at ride ability and weight reduction (especially the wheels).

Lessee how the new ZX10R & CBR1000RR will perhaps raise the bar. I'm reserving a very skeptical opinion about the supposed traction control on both of these. One report said Honda had a traction control, another said it was a clutch less quick shifter. I certainly hope it's the latter. Now that's technology that really is an aid to better performance (if BMW can do it, why can't the Japanese big four??). Here's hoping.....

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 11/20/2007 11:26 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Like you fick i am more interested in the 1000 sportbikes.  Still it will be interesting to see what the bike is like compared to the '08 Honda CBR600RR when it comes to 600cc irons.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

luiggispeed
My other bike is a Les Paul!!!

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 1802

Posted 11/20/2007 7:06 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
YellowDuck said...

YD,the answer for your argument is very simple: these bikes are meant to crush the competition in 600cc class racing world.You just can't add another 100cc th them,you must have good use of those little 600cc,and good use they do!
Remember,to be able to win,they must provide the best platform from where the folks will build supersport racers.They don't care shyt if Johnny Poser wants to go to the grocery store in a race replica,fact is, most Johnny Posers love to buy race replicas that doesn't work in the real world,but try to talk some reasoning to them,they probably won't liten..companies that win on sunday sell on monday,no matter what.
I am a happy owner of an R6 and I totally love it.

Dannyd18
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 102

Posted 11/25/2007 12:22 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I also have an R6. It's my first bike, so I don't have much to judge it on, but it's freaking sweet.

mrrw60
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 387

Posted 11/25/2007 4:51 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dannyd18 said...
I also have an R6. It's my first bike, so I don't have much to judge it on, but it's freaking sweet.

So is the dipping sauce for those chicken strips!

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4130

Posted 11/27/2007 10:41 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Let us call them "prudence bands" in this case...

Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre - Joe Klein

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/28/2007 3:08 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The 08 R6 (with very varible velocity stacks and refinement aiding handling) is ripe for someone to toss the clip-ons, and put real world handle bars on, then.... see how it is in the real world. Could be seriously sweet.

A couple other 08's, namely the CBR1000RR and the Kawi ZX10 have to check in though. They could be just the ones to say screw the 600's these are everything a 600 is, but with the dangle bits of a 1000 as well.

At any rate 08 promises to be a year.

Focus the forces, Be The Force