Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > 2004 Suzuki Boulevards  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
35 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

webmaster
Oversight Committee Chairman

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 321

Posted 7/1/2004 4:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ken Glassman just returned from Vegas where he sampled the 2005 line of Suzuki cruisers. What are you thoughts on Suzuki's decision to rename the new lineup? Read his report.

Seadragon7
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 3

Posted 7/2/2004 4:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
  Overall, I don't have a problem with the name change, but that is where my good nature ends. I can't believe you journalists are gonna treat these bikes like they are some totally new bike. Suzuki is gonna charge more money and screw up more features on the Intruder line and expect people to love them for it. Not me. They take a great street cruiser like the Intruder 800(which most people without motorcycle knowledge,understand is a decent sized bike) and do the following: Take away the standard sissybar chrome accessory, add drag handle bars which when moving up from a learner 250 isn't really a good idea., and change the universal 800 to S50? simply for the metric system conversion nuts out there. I was ready for the Suzuki lineup to change, but not like this. I can only hope they have something new up there sleeves, but I doubt it. While they may have a few new POWER bikes on the way, and nothing wrong with that, It still leaves all us Intruder Owners pineing for something new after all these years. These are not new bikes, just old lineups with new badges, less accessories and higher prices! Not well done so far Suzuki,nono I own a 2001 Intruder, and as far as I am concerned, if it acts like an Intruder, runs like an Intruder, and all the old Intruder parts fit on it like an Intruder...guess what, it's an Intruder. S40, S50, S83....Pleeezzzzz, yuck! The boys over at Victory Motorcycles will be glad to pick up the extra buyers from Suzuki. I'll be one of them.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 7/2/2004 7:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well I read the report; but in the words of the bard, it's "Much Ado About nothing."

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Puppy
"ugly" is a form of birthcontrol.

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 6047

Posted 7/3/2004 2:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It confuses and frightens me.

Naa actually its quite easy to pick up.

S -sport
C- cruiser
M - muscle
T- touring

With 40, 50, etc all being the designation for displacement in cubic inchs instead of cubic centimeters.

IE: S40 is a 650cc with small bob'd fenders, while a C40 would be a 650cc with full fenders.

If I was running Suzuki, I would'nt have made the change.

They spent alot of time and effort building up name recognition like Intruder, Maurader, Volusia etc. So I kind of think that its not that smart of a move.

Maybe I am wrong .... we'll see.

-Richard.

"Republicans want everyday to be like the fourth of July, Democrats want everyday to be like April the 15th" - Ronald Reagan.

Seadragon7
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 7/3/2004 9:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It doesn't work like that. The S40 is the 650 all right. but it does not come in a C40 or 650 with different fender skirts. The S50 is the old Intruder 800, It doesn't get made with different size fenders and called the C50. The C50 is a different style 800 all togeather. Yamaha on the other hand does. It has the 650 Custom and Classic Same style bikes, but with different style fenders.
S40-650 Savage
S50-800 Intruder
S83-1400 Intruder
C50-800 Intruder Cruiser Class

croozer
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 4

Posted 7/4/2004 8:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No, dropping all the old, familiar names doesn't seem to make much sense,
but they are taking the longer view, and if they really are coming up with
several new models, it may be the name changes'll work out for Suzuki, and
we'll all get used to the new names. I haven't seen anywhere that there's going
to be any major price hikes on the 2005s. I'm planning on making a major bike
change in a couple of years anyhow, so if they want to call 'em 'Backroads' it's OK with me.
Never picked out a bike yet based on the name. I mean, Low Rider, what kind of name is
that? And that was my first HD.

Puppy

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 7/5/2004 2:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
SeaDragon,

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

If that's the case and you cant get different fender skirts for a peticular model than I really am confused as to WHY they would go that route if they arnt offering more choices to consumers than what are already availible.

I figured Suzuki might have been trying to counter Harley-Davidson & Yamaha's "factory custom" you pick the components, they build it sorta thing.

-Richard.

"Republicans want everyday to be like the fourth of July, Democrats want everyday to be like April the 15th" - Ronald Reagan.

aVOL2
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 2

Posted 7/5/2004 3:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Alot of confusion just when the other manufacturers started to make VOLUSIA accessories Suzuki goes and changes the line ..  Glad I purhcased my 2004 Volusia.. when the bike had a REAL name....  So much better to have a Volusia then a C50 ...  yeah

Julie

Seadragon7
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 7/5/2004 9:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I really think Suzuki messed this up big time. I don't want to go into a dealer ship and have to choose a bike with Boulevard on it and have to tell everyone "Oh, this is the Boulevard C50, not the Boulevard S83." I mean, granted I don't buy a bike solely on the name but geezzzzz,part of the fun when talking with people is the distinction between name models, It tells people just what bike your talking about. "I ride a 800 Intruder, what do you ride?" I ride a Volusia." See, there you know what the heck everything is. Now it's Boulevard C50, Boulevard S40, Boulevard C90, etc... Just Stupid. It's like getting Vanilla Ice Cream, only difference is designations of one scoop, two scoop. It's still Vanilla right?

Puppy

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 7/6/2004 7:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
AVOL2, Welcome to MC-USA's forums!

Gotta love those Volusia's, they are nice bikes (even if they are called C50's? now).

SeaDragon, agreed it just seems like it would have made more sense if you could get the various displacements in various styling configurations. Then maybe I wouldnt be so worried about Suzuki market share going into the toliet along with their established brand name recognition.

-Richard.

aVOL2
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 2

Posted 7/14/2004 8:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Puppy thanks for the Welcome....

HA Luckily I will always have a VOLUSIA.. not a C50, I think the FI might be nice, but this one is easier to work on if need be.  I love the name, the website, the bike OMFG I love this bike..  it is my first ride and I am so happy I went with it.. The new c50s will be being delivered in the US in the next couple weeks, I just go the current Motorcycle Consumer News in the mail and they to kinda slammed Suzuki for a big let down.. now REAL changes just rebadging..  Stupid thing is is alot of Vol owners REMOVE the badges anyway.. LOL  so folks can still call them VOLS??? 

Sometimes change is stupid  ask COKE.. how many times have they changed, and they still have to come back to the original COKE.   Besides the original C50 was a frigging moped or something years ago made by HONDA... ???roll

Puppy

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 7/15/2004 8:24 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh yea I agree.

But then again I could be wrong (its happened before!) maybe Suzuki knows something I dont, but I cant fathom the reasoning behind this move LOL!

-Richard.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 7/15/2004 4:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Seems like the stupid move that only makes sense to a suit. Heavens forbid they actually put effort into designing a better bike to capture more sales.

MarauderMike
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 1

Posted 7/18/2004 7:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
2 months ago I purchased a Suzuki Marauder 800 and I have thoroughly enjoyed riding this bike.  Now having said that I would like to add that I liken Suzuki's 2005 lineup to everyone in my hometown having the same first name. "Hello Mike.  Hello Mike.  Hey how is Mike doing?  I don't know, I havent seen him lately but I hear Mike is in town.  Why dont we go see Mike's cousin Mike and see if his twin brothers Mike and Mike are home?  I know this sounds stupid or maybe funny but it makes a point.  when there is little or no distinction things get boring very quickly.  Even with the alphanumeric differences there is still the same name basically.  I dont like it.  I have been hearing about Intruders, Marauders, and Vols for years and finally I decide I gotta have one and they up and change everything.  I like the distinction of being a Marauder owner and I am disappointed that Suzuki is eliminating this.  I suppose Suzuki has the right to do what they want and some people may even like it, but as for me....when it comes time for my next bike I will probably still be seeing the Suzuki dealership.....Only this time I will be seeing it as I pass by on my way to the Honda dealership ( I got my eye on that new '05 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 anyway).  Happy and safe riding to all. 
 smhair

Texas Jay
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 8/10/2004 5:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm a newbie. In fact, I'm not even a newbie yet - I haven't got my motorcycle license. But I do have a degree in business/marketing, so I know little about brand names, etc. I think what Suzuki has done with the 'Boulevard' grouping of their cruisers is a wise long-term move, but it may cost them a little in the short-term because there will be some resistance and confusion. Suzuki wants all of their cruisers identified under one name, sort of what GM has with all (or most) of it's luxury cars under the 'Cadillac' name.  In time, it is hoped that motorcycle consumers will automatically think "cruiser =  Boulevard", just like some car consumers think "luxury = Cadillac".  No one knows if it will work, but I hope it does. I don't know much about motorcycles, but I've had two Suzuki cars and I'm a loyal customer. Their quality is equal to Honda, Toyota, & Nissan. I'd like to buy a used Intruder 800 when I'm ready. 

Mr Casual
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 15

Posted 8/12/2004 11:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've been looking into big Japanese cruiser offerings lately, and I was kind of interested in the Intruder 1400. Big honkin' engine in a relatively lightweight bike, shaft drive and hydraulic valves for Buick-level maintenance, split-pin crank for less vibration . . . all very attractive. I also kind of liked the Yamaha V-Star 1100 custom, but the Intruder 14, for almost the same money, kicks the V-Star in the nuts in the performance department. "But if I bought it," I said to myself, "I'd have to change the bars. I'd like lower bars. And I'd have to do something about that seat."

Lo and behold, here's the new Boulevard S83, and Suzuki fixed it up exactly the way I would have fixed it myself.

Maybe the name "Boulevard S83" doesn't quite roll off the tongue like "Intruder 1400." So what. It's on the top of my list now.

piper
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 8/17/2004 2:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hear that the new Ford Mustang is coming out.  Only, it's not going to be called a Mustang anymore.  They're trying to make a segway into a new market, so they're taking the same car, adding more horsepower, new paint schemes, and new seats, and they're calling it the Ford Stallion, actually, the Ford Stallion S3.6.  The Ford Mustang GT will be the Ford Stallion S5.0, and the Ford Mustang Cobra will be the Ford Stallion S5.0 Plus.  .  Then they're making a really bold move by taking the Taurus and renaming it the Ford Stallion F1! The big new is that the Pinto is making a comeback being brought into the fold.  It'll be the Ford Stallion F.75

Yeah, Suzuki really knows its market.

Post Edited (piper) : 8/17/2004 9:47:24 PM GMT

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 8/18/2004 12:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They will never rename the Mustang, 'nuff said.

piper
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 8/18/2004 1:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"They will never rename the Mustang, 'nuff said."

Ummm, I think you're missing the point here, dude.  It's called saarcaaasssmmmm.

rolleyes 

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 8/19/2004 1:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Don't be a prick... How am I supposed to know when somebody with two whole posts is expressing sarcasm? exactly :p

Oh and if you want to be techincical The Taurus is going to be taken out of the lineup and replaced with the Ford 500 which is going to use the Mazda chassis and motor. That I know for a fact. It actually looks like it will be a pretty nicely built car. 

piper
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 8/20/2004 6:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
C'mon guy, bringing back the Pinto???  What's the thread about?  It's about a company abolishing their well respected names in their lineup, making small changes to the bikes, and renaming them to create the illusion of a brand new lineup.  You think someone just came along and decided to post about Ford cars on a motorcycle oriented board??  If that wasn't obvious enough, the the "Yeah, Suzuki really knows its market." should have clinched it.

"Noob" or not, my intent was painfully obvious.  Sorry it confused you.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 8/20/2004 1:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
lol, what a dick.

piper
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 8/20/2004 1:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
 Kansas said...
lol, what a dick.
rolleyes

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 8/24/2004 8:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kansas said... How am I supposed to know when somebody with two whole posts is expressing sarcasm?
I knew. Immediately. In fact, it was pretty funny IMHO.

But if you're not sure, it's better to give people the bennefit of the doubt, than to start calling "prick".

nono 

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 8/24/2004 9:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I stated that the mustang name would never be removed and I got "rolleyes" I didnt call him a prick until that annouying rolls eye thing came up. I stand by what I say, so :p
No problem though, not exaclty worried about it.

Post Edited (Kansas) : 8/25/2004 4:43:54 AM GMT