Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Bike Reviews > 2004 Honda CBR1000RR Review  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

webmaster
Oversight Committee Chairman

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 321

Posted 2/5/2004 10:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kevin Duke took a spin on the new 2004 Honda CBR1000RR. Click Here to read the story. What are your thoughts on the new king of Superbikes?

figbuck
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 423

Posted 2/5/2004 11:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Power band wider than a Bush Deficit"?? Ha, ha, good write-up Kevin. How does a shoot out work? Do you guys talk the manufacturers into letting you have bikes to flog or do they have a bunch of bikes dedicated for abuse by the media. What is the deal, are you going to get to ride these monsters back to back and live to write about it

jimmy89
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 59

Posted 2/5/2004 3:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I had a chance to see the new RR and it's small. Unfortunatley I haven't ridden or seen the ZX10, but after checking out the lap times from the daytona tire tests and reading Mat Mladin's comments, the RR looks like it may win a championship in the AMA this year. I'm stoked for the shootout as well! Should be a doosey.

Dude, smell my finger...Seriously.

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4130

Posted 2/6/2004 7:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice writeup - thanks, I really enjoyed it.

Personally, I think any one of the big four's liter bikes would be overkill for me. 90 mph in first gear? Sheesh. So, I guess I don't really care how they compare at the track. Given that I could use maybe 50% of their capacity anyway, if I buy one I will just choose the one that is prettiest, or that has local dealership I like the most.

Right now, that is probably the ZX-10.

bunchof6
Troll/Squid/Spambot

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4566

Posted 2/6/2004 12:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great writeup. I know the Honda would be in my garage if I had teh $$.

figbuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/6/2004 1:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think that is the key... if I had the bucks.

"If my aunt had balls... she would be my uncle" Eddie Lawson.

YellowDuck, no kidding, that's what I was thinking as I was reading. I'm a die hard Honda fan and there is a huge Honda dealership right down the street. I'm screwed, I have no excuse... Uh except, Dan's excuse. Seriously though, this is a serious sport bike and you would have to be serious about riding it or else it's some kind of expensive ego booster. If time and money were not a big deal though, what would happen is that I would ride it out into Eastern Oregon and look for a place to open it up and scare the heck out of my self. My butt would be sore in an hour and all of those joints would be hurting from not riding enough. I'd think to myself, I have done this enough times in my life that it's not really fun and I'd rather do track days. Like once a month! One of the problems with a bike like this is, that it takes and hour or two to get to anyplace to ride it. It's better to haul the bikes out in the mountians for some sport riding so you don't burn out and it's fun. I don't need to remind anyone that it can be risky to ride on public roads. Anyone that has enough seat time to half-assed even ride the thing anyway. Hey Kevin, you guys weren't going fast on Angels Crest Highway, Right?

I don't see the CBR as an only bike. Not for me anyway. I can't ever see giving up my VFR. It's a real world kind of bike. It does everythng pretty darn well. When considering a second bike, I would have to ask my self if the CBR that I want is really the 600RR. That's me being practicle again. No, the CBR1000RR is just pure excess. I wouldn't even register the thing. It would keep me from getting in trouble on the street. I'd get some race plastic and slicks so that I could burn some serious gas and rubber.

jimmy89
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 59

Posted 2/6/2004 3:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can tell you right now that when I rode the CBR600RR it was plenty of bike! I can't imagine getting on the 1000RR and trying to navigate the hills of socal. I might poop myself. I think people that are buying these bikes are really doing so for the wow factor. Which I certainly would never fault anybody for. Still looks pretty cool, except for that fairing, I just can't get over that. It's bit to pokey.

Dude, smell my finger...Seriously.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 2/6/2004 6:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice quick ride test and funny parts on the write ups. A long time and since we got a whiff of the 04 sportbikes to come, it has sounded that they would be so more powerful than the existing models. Man, I thought we would have a quantum leap in power.
Surprise! The CBR1000RR has 1 - one - more HP than the '03 Suzuki GSX1000R according to Sport Rider's bench test. It may not even be as flickable as the "old" Gixxer. But that may not mean anything when the tough gets going cause there is no doubt in my mind that the other brands may have their work cut out to keep up with this CBR1000RR. Too bad the tricolor version is N/A here in US of A.

RedDog
Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 2/7/2004 12:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I really like Kevin Dukes journalism, perceptive identification of what's happening, in the arena of the track where the bike is designed to live. I'm not surprised that Honda put the design and development work in the platform. The people that ride that bike on the track don't need more power, they need more ability to put the power they have to the ground. And that's just what Honda is giving them. And if you are a race team dude, then Honda supplies what race team dude needs. We have a vicious cycle thing going in the market though, the good and bad factors, are getting more extremely good and bad every year, and there isn't any nice way out of the pattern. Let's take the Honda as an example, but every manufacturer, would do as well. The CBR1000RR, would not, and could not, exist, if it wasn't for the volume sold to people that won't see the track, and are in no way shape or form, qualified to toss a leg over it, and head out into traffic. And being the air heads that they are, are headed for a twisted metal, noisy braking glass and plastic, bloody thump crash. And the added stability of the new Honda means even more people will have more confidence to write checks with the wrist that the brain (or aquired skills) can't cash.

figbuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/7/2004 2:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It seems to me, if I think back to the early eighties... Honda was producing some cutting edge sport bikes. The CB750F and the CB1100F were quick and fast and there were no Ninjas and Gixxers. When the Ninja came out in '84, it sold like hot cakes because it looked like a hot rod. It had a big back tire and wicked looking full bodywork. If I remember right, Honda came out with the VF750F Interceptor that was a race bike made for the street so that they could smoke the AMA Formula 1 class, which they did. In the next years Suzuki came out with the first Gixer and Kawi had evern more potent Ninjas. If I remember right Honda was concerned about product liability lawsuits, and didn't produce a 750 for a few years. There was a VFR in Europe in '89 and then it was sole here in '90, But these were sport touring bikes not race bikes. Honda didn't have a 750 pure sport bike that was raced in AMA or World Superbike. You couldn't really buy one of the RVF Superbikes. Meanwhile Honda knew that their biggest market could be in 600s and came out with the CBR600 Hurricane. Does anybody remember the TV ads with the Hurricane blowing away the Ninja dude? That 600 got snapped up by all the club racers and canyon carvers brecause it was kicking butt in the AMA supersport class. The F2s and F3s were the biggest selling segment of the entire market, more units thatn any other bike. Honda was so freaked by product liability, that they stopped calling it the Hurricane and introduced the CBR600F2. The stopped calling the FVRs Interceptors. I don't think they wanted the public to have the perception that these were hot rods.

Time has gone by and the product liability spector didn't turn into the nightmare that they feared. Oh hey, lets build a bike that will take on the GSXR and the Ducs. It worked for the 600s... win the championships and the great unwashed massed will buy up all the units we can produce. Let's take back the Superbike crown from Mladin and Company.

I think that Lou said it in a nutshell. The manufacturers know that big bore loaded guns sell, but they don't want to take any of the heat for any squid with enough cash for a down payment can have one. Bikes don't kill people... people kill themselves on bikes. Is it the manufacturers fault that they make and sell what people want to buy? I don't know. Which comes first the chicken or the egg??

WhKnuckle
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2003
Total Posts : 103

Posted 2/7/2004 9:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Even beyond product liability (which they'd presumably be covered for as long as an engineering deficiency doesn't exist), I think Honda is very concerned about their image, and what would happen if 60 Minutes showed up on their doorstep doing a piece about how easy it is to plunk down some money and walk away with a bike that'll do 90 in first gear. Bad pub for sure, and from their earliest days Honda has known what pub is. Remember, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"? Now, is it, "You meet the nicest future cadavers on a Honda"?

frydaddy
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 1

Posted 2/8/2004 2:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I see all the posts on why not to buy this bike or any one liter bike, but the main reason you want one of these bikes is for torque.  They are much friendlier to ride and go fast on without revving it to the moon and bringing extra attention to yourself.  Now that they are much lighter and handle better is all the more reason.  I started out on a Honda CB750F SuperSport and moved to a CB900F SuperSport.  My lastest bike is a GSXR1100 which is actually a 1127cc with the 5 speed which is effortless to ride.  Never fall into sterotype's until you here all points of view.  Sure its overkill, but that does'nt mean you have to kill yourself over it.

figbuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/9/2004 1:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No, but if you can't ride it in the power band then why have one? Oh yeah, to give the chicks the impression that you are groovie and cool. So, frydaddy where do you ride your GSXR so you can get into the power band in top gear?

If you aren't riding it on the track you really aren't impressing anyone. Anyone that's worth impressing anyway.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/9/2004 2:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just in case anyone might think I'm anti latest and greatest racer replica, that's not the case, as for the 1000's, I rant with a higher volume about the 600's, since so many newbies that are attracted to the looks and features, of the sport bike, see them as the small entry level starting point. It just seems to me that if no one else will push for it, it's way past time for the industry its self to push for tiered license for performance level. Of course it won't stop the determined moron on a garden variety 250 from pinning the throttle and spat into a concrete wall, but it will sure effect what happens on the show room floor, with the air heads buying into what is some how known in the insurance industry, but a guarded secret everywhere else. It's just that a race bike was something that mere mortals couldn't have until the recent past, it was only by looking over the fence at the track that we saw what was unobtainium to anyone but connected racers, Now anyone can walk into a dealer, and ride out on one.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/10/2004 12:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do we have to impress? I'm happy with a bike that impresses me. That's a whole lot of fun! Sure I can be in the powerband in the lower gears and occationally in the upper ones. But that's not to impress anyone. There's more to a sportbike than brute power. Getting the best sportbike out there, gives me the secure feeling of having one of the best handling bikes out there with superior brakes and a minumum chance of wicked tankslappers, etc. If I wipe out, I cannot blame a bad bike, just myself.

I love the best sportbikes out there. It's the ride. Now, the question is how to convince Mrs. RedDog to get a new bike. Overkill is fun. Shooting sparrows with a cannon. Darn, that's a lot of fun and you're sitting on it. To hell with practicality, that's boring.

One of the best bikes I ever had was namely a Gixxer 1100. Big, raw power and solid as a rock. I could load it up with pillion, tent, sleeping bag and tank bag and haul ass from Kiel to Geneva all day long. And that evening when that blonde in a Testarossa came to pass us, the driver nonchantly looking over, cruising at 100 mph, pillion squezing my guts, the "Go!" sign. And the machine starts whipping into the powerband, the blonde screaming faster to her driver, the floor got stumping dents, - and the Testarossa dissappearing in the mirrors. Overkill? I love it.

That night we pulled into Hilton Geneva, very happy, well knowing what a $10,000.00 dollar machine can do - compared to a $130,000.00. Someone talking about overkill? Yep we have it and love it. And now, Honda will plant them horses better. I gotta have one of them ... 

RedDog

Post Edited (RedDog) : 2/10/2004 8:06:45 AM GMT

figbuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/10/2004 12:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So, the solution to where to ride is to take your bike to Yurrip? Yeah, that's the ticket, go to Yurrip to impress blondes driving Ferraris.

RedDog, same question; Where do you ride your bike that you can get it into the powerband in top gear?

Not that I don't believe your story about the Blonde in the Red Head but dissappering in your mirrors riding two up?? Come on! I raced a 308 Quatrovalvole on my 750 Interceptor. Yeah, I smoked him from forty to a hundred forty but when he finally got into gear he blew by me at one sixty-five. When he passed me all I could see was an exhaust cloud.

Dog, your problem seems simple to me. Give your wife your bike and buy new CBR. How much does your wife weigh? How many horsepower does it take to move a pound of weight?? If you just dumped you wife, you would have a truck load more power.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/10/2004 1:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Speaking of Honda's CBR1000RR (will the 06 have another R?) It looks like there is a shortfall. Rip Roaring Rabid Road Rascal. That stearing stabilizer (in Scotts talk, it's stabilizer, and I prefer Scotts talk to Damper drivel), the valve regulator, being linked to speed, probably will, and does work fine on the track speed needs. I still will like to see what the riders going through the Laguna Seca cork screw will have to say, about how it works there. But, that aside, since the bike has a license plate, This is something I'd have to check out my self (Honda don't send me a bike, you wouldn't want my report), but, on the street, there are very low speed times, like train track crossings, road construction, old broken pavement, cobble stone, God knows what, that you want stabilization, BASED ON HANDLEBAR MOVEMENT, period. It doesn't matter what the source was, it just matters what is going on at the bars. That's how Scotts does it, and nothing else makes sense, although the Honda way, probably won't be challenged, because it works on the track, and the voice of God will be accepted by the devoted masses.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/10/2004 1:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Figbuck: It was quite a surprise to us too, it was like the ultimate test, a Testarossa vs. Gixxers 1100. Now first of all my pillion is light and hides well, and second, the Gixxer was smooth-bored with yosh pipes, and tweaked by a racer. It was fast and long legged. Third, these top gun cars with some 400 hp kind of peak out at some 160-170 miles, though some will get closer to some 200 mph, but that's longing home, tail wind and a long stretch to get there. The blonde was a fun part of it and so was the driver, but most of all it was impressive to ourselves.

The Autobahn is a good place to play in your top gears' power band and some hidden stretches here and there.

RedDog

zaphod
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 1

Posted 12/20/2004 5:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Alot of opions about the latest superbikes, some hate em , most love em. This is my opion. Last Friday, 12-19-2004, I had the GREAT pleasure of bringing a new CBR1000R home to my garage. I put 300 miles on it over the weekend and find it to be simply amazing.

Iam 43 years old, have been riding for 33 years, 28 years on the street. Is this bike overkill for the average rider - YES, will those
who have no riding experience die while riding it ? - GOOD CHANCE. But for me, a person with money , experience, and looking for the ULTIMATE SPORT-BIKE- this is it, one the best.

See, after year-after-year of buying bikes that had excuses attached to them, I just wanted to buy one of the best. I have the money to do it, Iam not getting younger , so I bought it. Am I looking to impress anyone? No - Will I ever take it to the track? NO.
Do I do wheelies ? NO. Will I thrash it to red-line time-after-time? NO.

Why did I buy it ? Simply because of its beauty, technical advancements, and how well the entire package works. It is superb in any respect. To find faults is really nitpicking.

Forget the horsepower for a moment, what impressed me time-after-time was how SMOOTH & PRECISE the bike is in going through corners, it tracks perfectly. Super confidence inspiring, but at the same time I had to keep telling myself not to become overly confidant.

The engine doesnt have the usuall noises , vibration associated with most bikes, instead it sounds like a jet-turbine. I will not put louder mufflers on it cause I love the sound of the engine.

So my friends, if you find yourself dissing them (I think thats the black term you youths are saying these days) - be honest with yourself , YOU REALLY WANT ONE.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 12/20/2004 4:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey, when you're the President of the Universe, you don't have to deny ypurself much of anything, least of all a Honda.
lol

Cadd
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

mrrw60
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 387

Posted 12/20/2004 9:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Enjoy the ride! I know I made the right choice...

Me on my Sunday ride.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/21/2004 10:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You did!

RedDog
Normal People Scare me!

clutchslip
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 5

Posted 12/22/2004 8:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Boy, bikers sure get hung-up on "my bike is best". I have this Fireblade. There are good things and bad things.

Some bad things:
1. Honda did not cover a warranty issue
2. I have had to "rebuild" the forks to work right. And that's STREET use.
3. Torque starts way too high in the RPM range for a liter bike, IMO
4. The HESD is not like a Scott's. It is there when not needed and not there when it is needed.
5. Gear ratios are stupid. I added 2 teeth to the rear sprocket. (Not a true solution.)
6. Rear brake is for squids (not good enough). Lever positioning is limited.

Some good things.
1. Handles better than previous liter bikes.
2. Very, very smooth power.
3. Easier to keep front down.
4. The HESD settles minor head-shake. Yes, this is listed above.
5. Great front brakes.
6. Quiet exhaust.

Further stuff
The bike is fine in race posture. It is very rough on the wrists, etc. in normal riding.
I am always amazed that reviews call this a better street bike. The bike is set up for track, IMO. Because:
A. Riding position
B. Suspension is bad on rough stuff.
C. Needs to stay above 6 grand to accelerate.

My last bike was a Honda 929. My next bike will NOT be a Honda because they didn't honor their warranty.

I wish I was faster.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/22/2004 11:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very accurate perception ClutchSlipppppppppp, I rant about this, on a constant basis. Not sure if the manufactures are at fault for presenting us with confused packages, or are we pathetic morons for looking like we will buy anything they put on the floor, and rave about how great the latest great bike is. I expect to hone the package, from the best starting point available, to what I want to end up with. Not once in the last 50 years has a bike been created by the manufacture, to suite me, right out of the box, but in all honesty, I really have fun, doing the hone job. :-)

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 12/29/2004 2:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Face it: Since the 50's when the engineers were ousted from the front office, the stylists and marketeers have had the tiller.

...and they ain't lettin' go.

Cadd
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad