Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > NEW MEMBERS: Please sign in here.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
636 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :

[ | Show Newest Post First ]

Hellfighter
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 201

Posted 6/12/2007 10:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
G'day, not my first post but i seemed to have missed this thread earlier.

Names Matty, 20 year old newbie from Sydney Australia and proud owner of a brand spankin new Suzuki Intruder. There's me looking happy as usual.

Nice forum, glad to be a part of it!
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
mattybikesmalljpg.jpg
  63KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 246 time(s).

DR-ZKing
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 199

Posted 6/12/2007 10:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Im DR-ZKing and I love offroad riding.

SirMetro
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 5

Posted 6/16/2007 10:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello, I am generally known as Sir Metro. Am in Loganville GA and just recent bought a pair of 07 V-Stars 1300 (Wife’s is black, mine is Blue and I hope that it’s only the bikes that stay that color).

My first bike was a 67 Bridgestone 175 (recently discovered it had “vanished into thin air” from storage). I also had a 65 Honda Dream 305 that I recently sold to a guy who had the funds to fully restore her.

Anyway, am busy now sitting up temporary driving course on local parking lots for my wife to practice on weekends with so she can go take the MSF class. Afterwards, hope we can go riding locally and just have a good time.

I appreciate the fantastic post the others have shared which is making it easier for me to teach my wife (and still remain on speaking terms afterwards). And I don’t care to pay to do that course twice, so I want to make sure she can pass it on the first go.

BobM50
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 1

Posted 6/17/2007 11:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi,
My name is Bob, I live in Central Florida, am new to riding, and my ride is a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50.
It seems that it takes me longer to go from point A to point B when I am riding. On four wheels, it is about 20 miles to work, but on the bike it ranges from 20 to 60 each way. Hmmm....

Beesa
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 38

Posted 6/18/2007 6:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey Beesa here. Born again biker,ride a 2002 Fireblade, silver and black, live on the Gulf Coast of Florida.
Love motorcycle racing, especially the real road racing in in U.K. and Ireland.
Grew up riding sportsbikes back home in England, and likes Beesa best. Had several Gold Stars and a Rocket
Gold Star too.
Just returned from the 2007 T.T. in the Isle of Man.

Mr. Self Destruct

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 9

Posted 6/20/2007 2:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello... New guy from Texas... New Braunfels to be exact... Nice place you got here... and I will soon be the proud owner of my next bike... a 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition...

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit

arts cart
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/21/2007 2:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi all! Neebie to this site ,but riding 29 years. 4 hondas ; 360 :500cx :750: 1200 gold wing and now a 1200 voyager Looking for a service manual for the kaw. Anyone know how to get a controler(sound system)out of a full fairing without having to remove ever piece of plastic in front or the rear license plate??? Just returned for a90+ mile spur of the moment ride with no radio or c.b. You can do that when your retired

patti smith
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 5

Posted Yesterday 9:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi.

My name is Patti and I’m a reporter with 1Tail.com. I would like to write several articles about the novice racing in the MRA/other associations that will be posted at: http://www.1tail.com/sa/news/

So I'd like to ask the top novice riders and/or any novice riders that would like coverage to call me at 720-891-4888 or send me their contact info to (press at 1tail dot com) so I can get you on the the phone and interview you.

Thanks, Patti

sunset
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 6

Posted 6/28/2007 1:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

hey hi...located in nor cal...ride a 03 deuce.  

very cool forum...lots of info....thanks!

sunset

Marti
HD Woman Rider

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 27

Posted 6/30/2007 7:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, I'm Marti.  2005 FLSTC.  Full-time Mom.  Part-time artist.  Love to ride.

I have reached an age when if someone tells me to wear socks I don't have to.
--Albert Einstein

DarkStar
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6

Posted 7/7/2007 10:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nobody reads this!

__________Dark Star

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 7/8/2007 7:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I read it.

I just don't have time to reply to everyone.

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
VROC #11619 Rolling Blunder #128

trtlpmp
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 7

Posted 7/17/2007 2:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey, my name is Eric. I drive my bike everyday. Mon-Fri I drive to work, and on the weekends I hit the canyons. I currently ride a 2006 CBRf4i.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 7/25/2007 3:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Geoff Jones.

Found this by accident looking for articles on the BMW F800ST.

First bike in Belgium when 16 in Belgium; crashed it many, many times. Had never heard of countersteering, thought the way to get around corners was to go faster.

It's not.

Next bike purchase was 22 years ago at the age of 28; BMW K75S. Took that bike to Sears Point and learned how to ride it with Reg Pridmore. Would still have it, great bike, but this past March an 85 year old left turner killed it, but I survived with a lot of luck, the right gear and a tiny bit of skill.

Next bike Yamaha Seca 550; great bike, sold it to a friend when I won my next bike, a 1992 Honda Nighthawk 750, at a Ride For Kids event. Thought 3 bikes too much. Went to California Superbike School to learn more.

Nighthawk a great bike after some suspension work. Crashed it when I tried to ride it like my TL1000. Never ride a bike with some of the worst brakes in motorcycling like one with some of the best brakes in motorcycling. Doh! $1,500 later it was back on the road.

Next bike 1997 Suzuki TL1000S; took me two years and lots of mods (Power Commander, Ohlins rear shock, Lindeman workover of front end, one size narrower rear tire), to finally figure out how to ride the thing on NorCal back roads without scaring the bejeezus outta myself. Sorted out, and with a smooth throttle hand, it is now lotsa fun. Still have that bike and won't get rid of it.

Next bike 2006 Suzuki DRZ400 SuperMoto. 300ish lbs, and with Stage 2 kit, huge grins on the back roads. Keeping that one.

Had the DRZ + TL + Nighthawk + BMW briefly as a foursome, until I spent a few months training an interested friend to ride on the Nighthawk, before I would sell it to him.

Last bike, due to death of K75S, is 2007 BMW F800ST. Outta the box best bike I've ever owned and one I'd keep if forced to only have one. Needs absolutely zero mods which is a first for ANY bike I've owned.

The new Triumph 675 naked triple is calling to me.

Wouldn't four bikes, again, be too many???

Mmmmm....

Great Forum.

mcassill
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 149

Posted 7/26/2007 8:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mark here. 37 year old "professional tourist", got back onto two wheels this spring after spending a fun-filled year overseas working for Uncle Sam. During my time off you will find me motoring around Iowa on either an '82 Honda CB750f or an '07 Victory Kingpin Touring.

Lady Rider
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 19

Posted 7/26/2007 11:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hi.  My name's Dotty.  This is my first post but found the forum a couple of weeks ago and its great, have found so many interesting things.   

Growing up in Central Mississippi I rode  my brothers' bikes and loved it.  My husband and I have owned a couple of Hondas through the years.  But now...I have my very own...2000 Yamaha 650 Custom...red. Height and weight fits me just fine in that I'm  about 5' tall.  It had been a long time since I actually rode solo so started off 3 years ago on a Virago 250 .  When  we started planning a bike trip to Colorado 2 summers ago I  upgraded to the present Yamaha.  My husband rides a black 2001 Yamaha Classic 650.  Grandma and Grandpa having a wonderful time, I even commute to work weather permitting.

You all take care...

Dotty

LIVING HISTORY 1
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 13

Posted 7/26/2007 10:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
YAMAHA TT-50
            TT-90
HONDA CL-100
HONDA CX-500
KAWASAKI-1100 SPECTRE
HD SPRINGER-TC88 SOFTAIL

Started riding again at sister's behest, Love teaching the kids to ride , lots of fun. this seems like a great place lots of fun- lots of people with riding experience- equals a good source for tech tips.  It seem there are alot of great people here with alot of great stories to tell.
   under my belt i have one big wreck one good high side.nono, The inconvenient wall storyroll] , Where the rubber meets the pole story or steel versus the grain the real story , thats a wowzer freaked .also what happens when the top pops off the carb story, or how fast can you go while eating a burritoburger . Findng first gear without a clutch cable mad, That darn flat that wont fix right idea,The construction ladder buffer zone shocked, and everyones favorite -Why dont the throttle and front brake work at the same time story or the purple nuckles gang smhair , The never reach around the head to turn off the bike story or know your kill switch and understanding your cows pain shakehead,  & how long can i stand on the back brake peddle before replacing the pad story, with great practical experience- garage walls and density factors? :p,  Why look for 30 foot aroyos before we ride into it or over hill and dale a hobbits story yeah, also see The bible , under valley of the shadow of death chapter or how to ride and not push your bike out of the desert   turn. understanding gasoline- fuel , vapors - an exact explanation of how smoking can kill .jumpin , and finally- The why does my sprocket look like a daisy story - proper chain  alignment and you smilewinkgrin .  ok hope to see ya's on the road. 

Post Edited (LIVING HISTORY 1) : 7/27/2007 6:43:21 PM GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
CINDIES RETURNS 023.jpg
  1.11Mb (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 315 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
CINDIES RETURNS 027.jpg
  1.02Mb (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 256 time(s).

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 7/27/2007 7:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Living History, have you noticed that nobody else here types everything IN CAPITAL LETTERS?

There's a certainly a reason you're the only one doing it, but I can't imagine what it might be.

Anyhow, you need to quit. It wears out the internet twice as fast when you do that.

"When in doubt, ride."

LIVING HISTORY 1
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 7/27/2007 11:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
 to the 12 billion people on the internet , yes i repent please dont every one send rebuke i see the error of my ways

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 7/27/2007 5:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks. We all appreciate it.

"When in doubt, ride."

TheKawiKidd
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 86

Posted 7/29/2007 10:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

My name is Mike and I live in the Capital District (Albany area) of New York. I'm new to riding, but have been bitten bad.

I took the BRC from MSF 3 weeks ago, then last weekend, I got my waiver, my license and purchased my first bike on Friday. The dealership delivered the bike practically to my doorstep on Sunday and I've put 600 miles on my new bike in 6 days of riding.

I purchased a red Kawasaki Ninja 650R for it's balance of comfort, style, versatility and confidence inducing handling.

Prior to the MSF course, I had never ridden and looked at biking with quite a bit of trepidation. But once we started actually riding, I was hooked. After reading many threads in the Newbies forum, I think I fall into that "perfect storm" category where I am highly risk-averse and therefore am a very defensive (perhaps overly so) rider.

I've been visiting these forums almost daily since a friend of mine pointed them out to me. I love reading other people's experiences to try and learn without making the mistakes myself.

As for my handle... this friend of mine, actually she's my mother's best friend, has been riding all her life (in her fifties now). When I told her about having taken the course, we've spent some time discussing riding, the pluses and minuses of the different bike styles, etc. She dubbed herself officially as my "Favorite Harley Rider." I in turn, at the time being bikeless called myself her "Favorite Fledgling." Once I got the bike I officially dubbed myself "The Kawasaki Kidd" :)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
650R.jpg
  132KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 278 time(s).

LIVING HISTORY 1
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 7/30/2007 8:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i started ridding 32 years ago , its hard to remember what its like to be new in the saddle, leave a big space between you and the cars infront of you, it brings huge success to staying on your wheels and take the next msf course. your motorcycle menual has really good learnig tools about ground surface and traction importance & turning plus more. as well as pretrips . reading the entire menual si a great start, good luck harry

ravenmike
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 7/30/2007 3:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

hello everyone my name is michael edwards, i live in bonney lake Wa at present time. i am 30 yrs old and by trade i am a deap sea diver with most of my work being done out in the oilfields of the gulf of mexico. i have been riding dirt for years but am new to street. i have an 05 R6 raven and feel i have found my new passion i love the bike and i love riding. i am not one of those speed freak adreline junkies who are a danger to myself and others, at least as it relates to street riding and i am never a danger to others with my other pastimes.

any way this forum is great i just sat and read for about 3 days before i signed up and have come across alot of interesting helpful stuff. i will be interested to draw on everyones experiences so i can get a feel for what i should be looking for as far as keeping myself intact aside from some of the obvious things such as people not seeing you , pulling out in front of you ect. i will be taking irc next week and completed my nrc a couple weeks ago. safety first ya know.

well this is supposed to be short and sweet so i will leave it at that, and look forward to all that i can learn from you street vets. thanks for listening.

ravenmike
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 7/30/2007 3:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

i guess i was supposed to add some picsblush

heres my bike my brothers bike and the blue and white yami is the bike we bought to practice with

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
100_1217.JPG
  1.12Mb (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 244 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
100_1220.JPG
  931KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 275 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
100_1201.JPG
  915KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 242 time(s).

LIVING HISTORY 1
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 7/30/2007 3:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
keep a big open, people tend to become over confident when they survive the first few days. read your owners manuel cover to cover, pay special attention to riding tips . get a motorcycle course, and keep your speeds reasonable. keep a good following distence this alone with do wonders to keep you alive. good luck.