Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > NEW MEMBERS: Please sign in here.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
636 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :

[ | Show Newest Post First ]

ROCKY_RIDER
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 17

Posted 12/24/2005 3:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello everyone I`m Ken, from Missouri ride when I have time and love it. ride a 1100 virago. If the forum came as natural as riding for me I`d have it made.....hahahaha

Thanx for having me and putting up with the mistakes I`ve made in the forum

GOD Bless ya`ll

DragonRider
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 60

Posted 12/29/2005 2:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi all-
I'm Cena from CA. I just passed the MSF class and am looking to buy a used Honda Rebel or something similar. Riding is my new passion to celebrate my 50th; still need to get that tattoo!!!

Thx for all of the great info!

Patty D.
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 58

Posted 12/30/2005 9:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hi everybody,

My name's Patty and I live in Shoreline, Washington, which is just north of Seattle.  After a 35 year hiatus, I decided to take up riding again.  A few months ago, I took the MSF Basic Riders Course and recently got my motorcycle endorsement.

At present, I have two bikes: a 1983 Yamaha RX50 and a 2004 Honda Rebel.  I'll try attaching photos to this note.

Nice to meet you all!

Patty
Seattle, WA
1983 Yamaha RX50
2004 Honda Rebel

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Honda Rebel 250.jpg
  16KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 342 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Yamaha 1983 RX50.jpg
  20KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 727 time(s).

Wolfgate
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 270

Posted 1/1/2006 6:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi all. Missed signing in here when I joined in November. So I'll do it now.

I live in central NC, which is great from a riding perspective because, except for the handful of days each year we have snow or ice, you can ride. Or so I've been told by those hardy enough to brave cold but clear mornings.

Just took MSF in early November. Got my "M" endorsement the next day. Recently bought a Yamaha Vstar Classic as my first ride.

I have every intention of using the bike to commute to work most days. Can't decide if my ultimate dream bike is a larger, hard bag equipped cruiser or one of the Boxster engine BMWs. So I figure the Vstar will give me a taste of the cruiser, and we'll go from there. (And my wife likes the cruiser look better - heck, she's begging me to get good enough that she can ride on the back with me.)

My wife's friends think she's crazy for letting me get a motorcycle, and all their husbands are a bit mad at me because she's so enthusiastic. What they forget is my wife and I have both bicycled for many years - so we've already accepted the risk of riding with cages who don't see you and do stupid stuff around you. My wife was hit and seriously injured by a oblivious cage 10 years ago, but was back riding 1 year later. Once you get over that, it's not hard to accept a motorcycle.  Personally, I think motorcycling's safer with the leathers and moving at the flow of traffic rather than being passed by everyone.

RD973
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 10

Posted 1/2/2006 6:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello all, I'm Russ from South Carolina. I grew up riding dirt bikes and quads, and later street bikes. Now I have R1 and YZ426. Love to ride!

Arizona
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 568

Posted 1/2/2006 4:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello All,

I've had my V-Star since mid-October of '05, so am a newbie on street bikes. I rode dirt bikes in HS in my teens, but that was the extent of my motorcycle experience. I'm 42 yrs old and a conservative rider so opted for the cruiser style which fits me perfectly as I'm i no hurry and just enjoying the ride when I go somewhere.

I immediately fell in love with riding and am now an incurable addict. I'm lucky to live in So Cal where we can ride year around. My daily commute to work is 67 miles each way, so I log about 135 miles a day and in the Mtns where I live I've got a beautiful ride for a good portion of the way as I head into or out of the city (San Diego).

I've got about 5500 miles under my belt in 10 weeks and look forward to many miles this new year now!

I've really enjoyed this site and have learned alot from you all since joining here. This site is a part of my daily routine now... :)

2001 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic - daily commuter 2500 miles per month

PeeWee
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 19

Posted 1/4/2006 12:00 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I'm new now again in '06... but used to be here in '03/4... now I'm back.

I'm the pillion to RedDog.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
NewBaby 006t.jpg
  124KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 293 time(s).

SC_shooter
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 31

Posted 1/4/2006 9:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, my name is Paul and I live in upstate South Carolina, near Charlotte. I am getting back into riding after a 20 year break. I rode a couple of years before then - an XL175 enduro and a 650 Nighthawk. I am looking for a nice, used, midsize bike now. Probably a standard or a cruiser, but it will depend on insurance costs, etc..

I am planning on taking either the MSF or Riders Edge basic rider training class pretty soon.

Shadowman
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 3

Posted 1/6/2006 8:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, I'm ShadowMan, from east central PA. I'm a newbie with an '05 Honda Shadow Aero. Ambition to ride to Colorado and Arizona to see my children. Career school administrator. Amateur photography.

'05 Shadow Aero
300+ miles

tplyons
Future Biker

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 34

Posted 1/8/2006 10:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm Tim, I'll be 19 in March and am looking to become a rider this summer. I actually registered and posted a bunch almost a year ago, but had to put my riding plans on hold because of college. I'm a business major with a music minor at Moravian College in Bethlehem, PA but live in New Jersey. I love to drive, work on my 1987 GMC Caballero (El Camino sistercar) and of course I love playing music. I've made over 6,750 posts at talkbass.com and look foward to bringing my post count up here as well, while absorbing all the insight I can from you guys.

\m/ Timothy Lyons

ozbiker
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 4

Posted 1/9/2006 10:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
G'day everyone,
just joined in.I'm from a small country town in NSW,Australia,not many other bikers around so mainly ride solo.Sites like this are a great way of meeting others.I might make it to the US one day and would love to ride across the country but at the moment have a big enough backyard,may meet some of you people also over here.Anyway will pop in every so often. :p :p

steve
1988 fj1200
NSW Australia

Some of my favourite drinking places can be found at http://www.gdaypubs.com.au

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Picture1.jpg
  42KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 304 time(s).

255 total miles

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 91

Posted 1/11/2006 9:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi there and thanks for all the great advice and info I am finding. I have posted a few questions and received wonderful suggestions. I spend way too much time here. I am already late for work. I just can't seem to stop. I am addicted. I am a new newbie and don't even own my first motorcycle yet. I have taken and passed the MSF class last month.

Oh right, about me. I am Teri and live in the Los Angeles area. I am looking at either the Vulcan 500 or the Virago 250. I have to go and sit on the bikes at the dealer a few more times than I will begin looking at used. (I have been looking at the used, I just haven't narrowed my choice down...I want one to practice on NOW!!!) Time to run and take my shower...oh I am soooo late.

Peter B.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 4

Posted 1/11/2006 1:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, I'm Peter. I ride a 2004 Kawa VN2000. I first rode back in '82 on a Suzuki GS750 which I later turned in for 4 kids! My wife, who would ride with me from Charleston, SC to New Jersey and back for vacations turned into super mom and guilted me into hanging up my riding chaps. Fast forward about 15 yrs to 2004 and one fine day she manages to wrap my car around a telephone pole. It was one of those 5 MPH slow motion affairs in which she was unhurt completely, but the car being a piece of junk anyway, looked like a pretzel. A couple of days later she said to me "Why don't you get yourself a bike?" After the inital shock, I bought my neighbors used 1986 Kawa Vulcan LT700. The rest is shear riding pleasure. I didn't buy a new bike right away for fear of scratching it up, but was amazed how fast I got "back into the saddle". A few months later, we rented a new Harley softail classic from our local HD dealer and had a wonderful day touring the Delaware river with some friends. I got the bug for a heavy bike! A few more months later I was in our local Kawa shop having some work done on my LT700, and just for giggles I sat on a new VN2000. Love at first sight! It fit like a glove. I did some internt research and discovered that everybody who rode it loved it except for the seat. A week later, I bought that glove and ordered a new set of seats from Mustang. The rest is just smooth sailing. :)

POP11549
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 14

Posted 1/13/2006 9:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Not sure if I'm doing this right or not, but I'm sure someone will let me know if it is wrong...........

My name is Terri and I'm in the Orlando area.   I'm sick of the people who have told me for years that "I am too short" or "you are not strong enough" or "it is too dangerous (for a girl)" for me to ride a motorcycle.  So I'm not listening to them anymore.

I'm signed up for the MSF course and have the good fortune of having a very understanding brother and a large, empty parking lot not far from the house.  He has an '86 Rebel that I've tooled around on.  Learning some braking and gear shifting and turns.  I've done both right and left turns without putting my feet down, although I have to admit you could do a U-turn with a semi in the space I was using. 

Anyway-----I've enjoyed the advice I've picked up so far and look forward to more along with something to add once I have some street cred.

jgon
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 26

Posted 1/16/2006 6:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hi my name is John. 

I started off road riding the the late 1970's.  I have owned different models from all the Japanese Brands.  I purchased a KLR 650 and started road riding three years ago.  I took the MSF Course and it was very helpful, because my aggressive off road riding technique was not suitable for safe road riding.  I have ridden all over Oklahoma.  I really enjoy riding in Southeastern Oklahoma.  I enjoy modifying and maintaining my KLR650. I have 13,000 miles on the KLR.  My longest day on the KLR was a 12 hour ride from my home in Central Oklahoma to Mena, Arkansas and back home.  A 581 mile trip. 

async
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 26

Posted 1/24/2006 3:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Greetings, the name is Andrew.  My past rides are as follows:

2 mopeds (a Puch and a Peugot)
Honda 250 dirtbike (can't remember the model)
Honda CB400t Hawk
Honda CB900F Supersport
Yamaha Maxim 550

I live in Long Island and do not presently have a bike.  I have been "out of the saddle" since ~1995 but I'm planning to buy a 2006 Yamaha FZ1 this spring.  Here's a pic from a recent trip to Cali, the bike is a Honda VFR (very nice!).

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat."

Post Edited (async) : 1/24/2006 10:37:56 PM GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
async.JPG
  9KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 294 time(s).

racer99
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/25/2006 6:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hi all new to USA forums, I've been riding since I was 16 racing that long also flattrack in the midwest, my current horse is a 2005 electra glide standard. I've reading and surfing some of the other posts this place sounds cool hope to talk a little later.

harley.

Harleycat
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 69

Posted 1/29/2006 10:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just want to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Jim and I'm from the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I've lived here since 1970 and call it home now. I began my road riding in England some 36 years ago, my first bike a 150cc Francis Barnett. I've owned a few bikes over the years and won't bore you with listing them here but they range from Brit bikes (of course), Japanese bikes (mostly), to a Ducati 900SS and now a Harley Heritage Springer. I can and do appreciate all types of motorcycles and types of riders and also realize a Harley isn't the living end when it comes to a motorcycle. I love my Harley and also love to ride it but I'm also a realist when it comes to the facts, and of what is and what isn't. I love talking motorcycles, motorcycling, working on them and riding them of course. I read your messages for almost two hours before I joined. I'm thinking, what a diverse group...cool. And no childish bashing of this brand and that, also pretty cool.  I'm looking forward to putting my two cents in on occasion and hopefully can add something positive to your message board.   

Jim

'99 Harley Heritage Springer
Eastern Shore of MD.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Jim-Americade NY.jpg
  90KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 307 time(s).

Engine No. 9
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 600

Posted 1/29/2006 3:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I too am new.

Yep.

butcher
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 1

Posted 1/31/2006 5:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
HI everyone,
                  I started years ago riding off road when I was in high school (I am 49 now).  I just got back into bikes about 2 years ago. My first road bike was a Volusia 800. I think that it was a great bike but after about a year I felt like I wanted a bigger bike. I put most of my miles on with my wife Cyndy riding 2-up. Last spring I moved up to a 2005 Road Star. I have had hobbies in the past but none of them can compare to motorcycles. In the past 2 years I have met alot of new people and made many new friends.  I will enjoy looking through this message board and learning new things and posting once in a while
                                                                                          Thanks,
                                                                                                            butcher

MotorPsycho
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 2/5/2006 10:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

My name is Alan.  I live in Eastern Tennessee near the Great Smokey Mtn Natl Park.  I'm 56 years old, been married for 36 years, and been a motorcycle owner for the past 23 years.  There are numerus unpaved roads in the area that I cover on a KLR-650.  There are some of the best curvy roads (including Deals Gap) in the area that I cover with an FZ1.

I hope to see and meet some of you out there.  Stay alert and ride safe.

ps: Great site.

curt
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 12

Posted 2/13/2006 10:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello all, found this site last night while looking for bike comparisons between the Yam Royal Star Tour Delux vs the Kaw Nomad. I have been riding street for about 3 years now and have done a cross country trip and a lot of trips of Ca and Az. I have had a Kaw Vulcan 800 classic and a HD Ultra, sold the HD due to it being a piece of crap. I have a trip planned for Aug 06 for Canada and will be buying a new Kaw Nomad or the Yam Royal Star Tour Delux, both bikes have what I like and they dont have what I dont like about the massive touring bikes. Im looking for threads and notes on these bikes, and if anyone wants, please email me for comments.

akaMissy1961
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 11

Posted 2/18/2006 1:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm Lisa and new to all of this in the chilly North East. I'm taking the MSF course in May and hope to have many enjoyable experiences motorcycling . The site is great !!! Lots of good info to digest

bucky
wise beyond my years...

Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 12

Posted 2/18/2006 4:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello y'all. I am in San Antonio, Tx. I gave up street riding because the police don't care for sport bikes around here, and the cagers don't carry insurance but they do carry beer and guns. So now I only ride the track, until the military sends me someplace else where street riding seems safe again.

www.theanimalpak.com

Dubie1967
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 2/21/2006 11:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello,
I live around Scranton, PA. Hubby and I ride Viragos. Waiting for mine to come back from shop. Going to be a new color. Yeah! We have been diligently working on them over the winter and are ready for some warm temps. I am a wimp and don't like to ride in the cold. Hope to see you on the road.