Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > mad max  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
32 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

brian93cbr900rr
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 29

Posted 4/26/2007 1:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
] does anyone besides me love the first mad max???i totally wanted to be toecutter,without having to kill...lol

we are bike riders,there for we are invisable..........

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 4/26/2007 1:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I liked it much better after I got the DVD with the original Aussie dialogue.  Up until then all we had was the dubbed "American" version that seemed weird. 

My favorite character was Bubba Zanetti. 

Favorite part (outside the courtroom where Johnny the Boy is being tried): 

Kid:  "Hey, mister, what happened to the car?"

Bubba:  "What do you think happened to it?"

Kid:  "It looks like it was chewed up and spat out."

Bubba:  "Perhaps it was the result of an anxiety." 

tongue

Martin

Denver, CO

"They were long, and low, and sleek, and fast, they were Classic, in a word
Back in '55 We were makin' Thunderbirds" - Bob Seger

brian93cbr900rr
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007

Posted 4/26/2007 1:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ahhh yes,great scene....i kinda like the goose to.....mad max of coarse is the man,only if mel kept cool like max,in real life,...lol...

ianisme
Typical Bloody Brit!

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8211

Posted 4/26/2007 2:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They dubbed it into American !!!! Thats so pathetic. Are they seriously suggesting Americans would not understand an Aussie accent, or were they trying to appeal more to the home market?

The Nazis were feared for their Blitzkrieg breakfasts.

brian93cbr900rr
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007

Posted 4/26/2007 2:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
aussie accent is cool,i would of under stood,aussie accent in women is sexy...

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 4/26/2007 2:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ianisme said...
They dubbed it into American !!!! Thats so pathetic. Are they seriously suggesting Americans would not understand an Aussie accent, or were they trying to appeal more to the home market?

The former.  They thought American audiences wouldn't understand the accents or the slang.  For example, in the radio chatter that goes on in the background of the chase scene at the beginning of the movie, one of the policeman states that the Night Rider went berserk and killed a "probie" (i.e. a probationary police officer.)  In the dubbed American version this was changed to "rookie" which is what we call a newly-recruited cop.  Other parts were also dubbed and had slight changes made to the slang so that American audiences would understand it. 

I don't really agree with their decision.  While it's true some non-US anglophone slang seems odd to hear, we can generally figure out what it means by the context, if nothing else. 

The "special edition" version of the DVD that you can buy now actually has both soundtracks on it, as well as having both the widescreen and the regular screen versions, so if you rent it, you can listen yourself and compare the two. 

Note:  Speaking of non-American anglophone slang, I read the book "Bravo Two Zero" by Andy McNab and had a very difficult time with the Brit slang he used.  "Chuffed", "bone", "Rupert" "slot" and several other terms I had to divine just from the context in which they appeared.  I think later versions of the book actually had a glossary. 

Martin

Denver, CO

"They were long, and low, and sleek, and fast, they were Classic, in a word
Back in '55 We were makin' Thunderbirds" - Bob Seger

brian93cbr900rr
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007

Posted 4/26/2007 2:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thats what im talkin about,if theres any common sense,people can finger it out....lol.............................

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 4/26/2007 4:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Talking of dumbing stuff down for American audiences...who else here has actually read any of the "Harry Potter" books? Did you read "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone," or "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone?" The latter is the US-only version (thankfully we got the original British version here in Canada). I assume the American publishers were afraid American kids wouldn't be bright enough to figure out the British colloquialisms.

BTW, one of my riding buddies is "Bubba Zanetti" on another motorcycle forum...

Spahrep
V-Star 1100 pilot

Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 432

Posted 4/26/2007 4:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I actualy recently watched the mad max trillogy for the first time. Not realizing that one of the movies was a re-release we watched Road Warrior first, then Mad Max and then thunderdome based on the release dates on the tapes (yes, we borrowed them on VHS, had to digout the VCR).

Personaly I hated Mad max. Road warrior was great and thunderdome was good, thats my 2 cents.

Drive to arrive and dress to crash.
6300+ km on the odometer.

** The above post is metric **
km * .62 = miles --- liter * .26 = gallon --- CND * .89 aprox USD

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 4/26/2007 6:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is hard to believe Ian.  I did not realize that some so called brains in the movie world felt Americans could not catch onto the Aussie slang & lingo.  When you think if it that is so darn funny.

I have two aussie friends.  Both are honest to gosh working cow-pokes.  They do the same over in Australia during our cold season & are here in our summer time.  It takes a few minutes to get accustom to their dialict though sometimes I am lost if it is a cattleman slang word & all I need do is ask & they are willing to explain it to the sort of city like Cdn.  After all I am the crazy bastard that rides one of those crazy motorcycles yet poor bugger tried to be a ruddy fruit orchardist. 

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 4/27/2007 1:51:53 AM GMT

ianisme
Typical Bloody Brit!

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8211

Posted 4/26/2007 7:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well if any of you folks need translation services, then feel free to ask. For the record Martin....

1. Chuffed = very happy
2. Bone = depending on the context, but probably means to have sex with
3. Rupert = derogatory term used by enlisted soldiers to mean an officer. Derived from many officers coming from the upper classes, which is the only class likely to lumber their sons with a name like "Rupert"!
4. slot = kill somebody.

This website is quite useful for some of the more obscure terms www.peevish.co.uk/slang/

For military slang (of which there is a truly stupendous amount) then you might like to try The British Army Rumour Service. When there, be sure to check out some of the threads in The Best of NAAFI. Just prepare to be offended.

The Nazis were feared for their Blitzkrieg breakfasts.

Post Edited (ianisme) : 4/27/2007 2:27:56 AM GMT

sockjohn
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 588

Posted 4/26/2007 7:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
brian93cbr900rr said...
] does anyone besides me love the first mad max???i totally wanted to be toecutter,without having to kill...lol

That movie always drove me nuts with the supercharger he could turn on and off. That would have been one rather large clutch, the clutch on an A/C compressor only has to handle like 2-3 hp, a monster supercharger something like 50 hp so it would resemble a compact car clutch.

Not very practical, but I suppose a turbo wouldn't have looked as cool.

brian93cbr900rr
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007

Posted 4/26/2007 7:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
sockjohn,thats very true,i just loved the whole freedom of the bikers is basically what im gettin too............at least in the first of the trilagy.......

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 4/26/2007 8:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I too have always liked the Mad Max trilogy. Except now I'll have to get the Aussie version.

Thunderdome was great for many reasons, not the least was Tina Turner,.....GGRRROOOWWWWLLLLL!!

What was that phrase Aunty Entity had for Max?

Too bad the original had to "dumbed down" for the American market. I'm surprised they still showed them driving on the left!

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 4/27/2007 9:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
She called him "Raggedy Man".

I own all 3 on DVD, but I didn't know that American and Australian language versions both existed on them, and I honestly can't say that I watched one or the other for sure. I think I recall the term "probie" being used though.

Now I'll have to go watch them again. eyes

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
VROC #11619 Rolling Blunder #128

MattyWall
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 3

Posted 4/27/2007 9:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
G'day
i was recently over in the US for a few months and Mad Max was on the telly and i noticed the slight changes in dialogue as well.
This "dumbing down" as you have been calling it occurs on almost all of your movies, i watched gone in 60 seconds while i was there and they change the wording to take out any kind of swear words. i found it quite annoying actually, i reken theres nothing wrong with swearing within reason of course

Smax
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 2871

Posted 4/27/2007 11:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
:p GREAT post!! I like this Brian-guy. Welcome to mcusa!

"This is a threshold moment, Johnny... STEP THROUGH!"

"The Bronze... they take our pride!"

I could go on all day...

Are you aware there is a Mad Max IV that's been in the works for a few years (Miller/Kennedy prod.)? google Mad Max and be amazed! There are annual Mad Maxathons in Oz and the UK where fans show up in costume driving/riding MM bikes/car replicas. The origional cars (Falcons Holdens) go for millions. I'll post a pic of a dead-on Goose-replica 'Kwaka" Z. Rich history concerning the bikes (note that all Z's have "Kwaka" on the tanks). The sound recording is impeccable. The Weiand 6:71 blower actually was activated by the PTO button seen in film.

"A piece hear, a piece there...". Max: "When do we go for a RIDE?!?"

Thanks. Now I know why you're in to 'rat' bikes, Brain.

Toecutter (Hugh Keyes Berney): "We have a problem here... she is not what she seems. She was sent by the Bronze. Full of threcherty... Bubba - put 'er against the fence! Mudguts - get outta there!"...

yeah

Scoot-jockey. gsx-r 1100

mistertoadie
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 363

Posted 4/28/2007 2:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's "put 'er against the post". I've loved the whole mad max thing since I first saw it back in the early eighties. I always new the dialogue was dubbed, but never knew there was an aussie version still in exsistence until they started airing it on american television a few years ago. Makes it even better in some ways, but I miss the americanized version of the scene where Toecutter questions the garage owner about "that wagon"..."yep"....come through here?" ..." yeah, nice couple with a kid, left their spare, darn good one too..." toe cutter grabs him by the nose "who?" "...a couple...passin' through...said they was headed nawth...mbabee..." The sound of the mechanics voice with his nose pinched was hilarious.

P.S. That is also one reason why my handle is mistertoadie. From "The Roadwarrior" "Toadie...the gas!" "the tanks are full oh mighty one...and it's all yours..." BOOM!

I'm only happy when I'm in the wind, sometimes I wish this road would never end. So if you're lookin' for me my friend, you can find me in the wind..you can find me in the wind...

Post Edited (mistertoadie) : 4/28/2007 9:25:16 PM GMT

mistertoadie
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 4/28/2007 2:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sheesh...you really got me goin' I could talk about those movies for HOURS!!! "that there is Cundolini, and Cundolini, wants his hand back!"

I'm only happy when I'm in the wind, sometimes I wish this road would never end. So if you're lookin' for me my friend, you can find me in the wind..you can find me in the wind...

Smax
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 4/28/2007 8:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mistertoadie said...
... P.S. That is also one reason why my handle is mistertoadie. From "The Roadwarrior" "Toadie...the gas!" "the tanks are full oh mighty one...and it's all yours..." BOOM!

cool lol

Does the first part of my sig ring a bell?? (FiFi & Max's intro scene).

Scoot-jockey. gsx-r 1100

kneedragginchick
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 290

Posted 4/28/2007 9:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This thread is funny. My husband loves all the Max Mad movies.

Honda 2007 600RR
Aprilia RS50
NSR50R
CMRRA & SCMINIGP #72

mistertoadie
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 4/28/2007 11:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Scoot jockeys? Yeah...nomad trash.

Smax
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 4/29/2007 7:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
lol This thread IS funny! I just realized that as much as I think the 'Rocky Horror' cultists are oddballs, we're just the same! And the homoerotic overtones are just too similar (Budda Zanetti was in fact portrayed as Toe's 'boy')... Hmmmmmm :p

And Humongus(sp) and the ass-chap-wearin' warriors in the later Max movies.....

636Adam: have YOU seen the Max movies yet? Rent/download the first two. The Kawi-sounds are incredible!

Scoot-jockey. gsx-r 1100

Smax
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 4/29/2007 7:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
cool lol Just located this goldmine on my HD:

Johnny: "Seeya later, Goose...(tap-tap) nice knowin ya!". Anyone know what the open-mouth "tap-tap" to the back of Johnny The Boy's neck signifies???

Scoot-jockey. gsx-r 1100

Post Edited (Smax) : 4/30/2007 2:46:09 AM GMT

636ADAM
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 2110

Posted 4/29/2007 2:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I love all 3 movies..I am going to have to rent them again though...I never paid much attentiont to the bikes..SMAX the pic you posted with the cop on the bike,seeing the breath guard brings the whole back for me.. Is it me or does anyone else think Stephen king stole the idea for "The Stand" From this movie..

Yup, I call her the Honda Red Ninja.
Adam