Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > LIABILITY INSURANCE FOR FOREIGN RIDERS IN THE USA  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ | Show Newest Post First ]

KiwiMax
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 210

Posted 6/14/2007 4:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
After months of stumbling around in the mysterious vacant fog of how to get liability insurance as a non-resident planning on riding in the States, the mist has finally cleared to reveal www.fernet.com as the people we all need to get in touch with before we do the cross country thing on two wheels.
Maxine

Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds a man down or polishes him up depends on the stuff he is made of.

Mac_Muz
Steering Committee

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 10321

Posted 6/15/2007 9:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cadd, should this be sticky? It has taken some work too find it....

So many bikes, and so little memory
Ossipee New Hampster "Eat Seeds or Die"

Geoffrey
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 774

Posted 7/31/2007 10:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great information.

American residents who ride beyond our borders should make sure their liability coverage is valid in foreign countries. Also, make sure the coverage meets each country's limitations of liability. Carry a copy of your policy when traveling.

'94 BMW K1100RS
'05 HD Ultra Classic Electra Glide

fxstein
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 11

Posted 1/15/2008 10:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We had similar questions last year when five of us went for a bike trip through the Austrian Alps in Europe. Turned out that renting the bikes and getting the standard insurance package with it was all it took.

BTW: What a trip! I have to go back and do it again....

www.starVmax.com

Tradewinds
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 60

Posted 11/7/2009 11:24 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thanks Maxine,

That is exactly what I have been looking for - as somebody planning a 13,000 mile trip across the USA on my own bike, I have been wondering where to insure it. I will follow it up with them.

Gary

Tradewinds
London, UK

poorboyspost88
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2010
Total Posts : 3

Posted 4/15/2010 6:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well insurance really is useful because we all know that motorcycle really is prone to accident so it is good to hear that there are insurance who caters it.

Post Edited By Moderator (Rich_S) : 4/16/2010 9:04:00 PM GMT

jimcocai
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 4/21/2010 11:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
man insurance is absolutely necessary i make reallyyyy loooooong trips on my bike and if I ever get hurt accidentally I can count on them to rescue me anywhere!

Post Edited By Moderator (Rich_S) : 4/22/2010 4:46:09 PM GMT

Juneau
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2010
Total Posts : 9

Posted 6/21/2010 8:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

What an excellent site with so much information.  We did our first USA tour ( from the UK)earlier this year and spent quite some time looking for the "right" insurance policy. In the end, we decided that as a percentage of the price we were paying for our bike rental, the complete insurance package as offered by the rental agency was probably acceptable at about 15%, which worked out at £150 (UK Sterling) for everything. It gave us peace of mind and just sorted the whole thing out!

What it did not cover is the most vital insurance, personal accident and "get you home" insurance. This was only an extra £25 for up to seven days.

Hope some of that helps:-)

My Harley Davidson Touring Blog

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 7/28/2011 6:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have had many occassions to look for Kiwimax's thread on planning and executing her coast to coast trip in the US. It is well hidden way back in the threads of 2007.
I am laying the link to that thread here so that it can be easily found:

ronaldlewis
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 8/8/2011 7:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i make long trips but the first point to do for me is get an insurance, and i feel so safe with it.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 8/8/2011 8:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ronaldlewis said...
 get an insurance, and i feel so safe with it.
Having insurance does not make you safe, Ronald. rolleyes

masteringram
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/8/2011 6:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
hi guys IM new hERE i want to tell somthing. I HAD THIS motorcycle prob. it wont start when the engine's hot and when i rest the engine for about 10 - 15 min. when its cold it's magically starts again and when it gets hot again there goes the same thing. my motor is battery operated when it stop running the power where to low but the signal and head lights are fine only in the sparkplug wire where to low sparks . i changed sparkplugs and even ignition coil and cdi where fine. what should i do to take this risk. WHEN THE ENGINE GOES HOT THE MOTOR STOPS AND THE GROUND WIRE WAS TO LOW SOMETIMES NO SPARKS AT ALL. EVERYTHING'S GOOD SPARKPLUGS, IGNITION COIL, AND CDI , BUT THERES STILL HOT ENGINE STOP GOING ON PLSSSS..... HELLLPPP ME .......

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 12/8/2011 8:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
masteringram said...
i changed sparkplugs and even ignition coil and cdi where fine.
First, you need to learn that your new problem should NOT be tacked onto the end of another, non-related thread.
Even if English is not your first language, you should be able to figure that out.

Some more testing and further details are needed but.......it's likely that the coil OR the CDI is not "fine" and one of them is failing when it gets hot.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/8/2011 10:24 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is an interesting INSURANCE thing that so many, should know about & it seemes a bit different in some cases, for like is it good for at home or out to another country?  I know some have additional insurace so if they drobbed the bike at still speed then the insurance firm would pay for the minor repairs.

Now GeoffG understands our COMPULSORY insurace here in B.C. Province.  Like we MUST obtain our compulsory insurance for a Provincial Govt owned firm called ICBC & tha statnd to Insurance Corporation of British Columbia.

If you have some points on yur record of speeding or other accidents you caused THEN you pay the extra to obtain the License Plate sticker & the same if you also have a cage so another sticker for the LP.

So things are rather confussing.  I know when I obtain my Compulsory LP (LP sticker for my m/c or my cage) the insurance is a LIABILITY in case I am in in the wrong & someone or their cage is damaged.

Needless to say said Liability on the cage or the m/cs is GOING UP AGAIN.  So to obtain insurance on my cage or my m/c then best to deal with another insurance firm as their cost on vehicle accident is less, but then most can sell only the LP STICKER as well.

Nothing like confusion.  I insure my m/c in the case of Fire & Theif, but not my cage as so much extra.

So Mack. Insurance is a bummer as you know when on that long trip of yours with a sidecar & so much was stolen at the time.

I think(?) if one is getting a loan from a bank oe a m/c shop one is FORCED to not only have Liability Insurance by Accident insurance as well.  In have the Insurance rep at our m/c shop he knew the dinged up bike was claimed, by the new rider, to be a dog that came out on one corner to take him down, yet the Insurance Rep knew this was a matter of going into a corner to fast & going down all because of being NEW to riding & no experience.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 12/8/2011 5:29:17 PM GMT