Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > How bad is the Sons of Silence motorcycle gang?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
44 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Worm72_99
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 277

Posted 5/12/2008 11:45 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I ask because this weekend there was a bunch of commotion over them because they were supposed to come to town. The city removed all liquor licenses from the local bars for 24 hours. There were cops upon cops here from other towns including state police, biker cops, and some cops from about an hour away. They were said to be stopping any bike that resembled a Harley. I know they do have some violence to them, but how destructive are they actually? They were trying to set up a 1st annual poker run, but got denied. Did we luck out by them not actually being here in full force?

Treefort
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 2468

Posted 5/13/2008 2:22 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You mean "club"? lol

War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.

Jimmy Carter

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 5/13/2008 5:19 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just read an article on them from 1999. About 42 members of the 200 member gang got arrested for gun trafficing and drug dealing along with thier lawyer (damn they got the lawyer too). Seems as if these boys are some bad apples for sure. I had never heard of them. All the media focuses on is the hells angels.

Saying all of that...it is a free country and they have rights just like everyone else until they commit crimes. Stopping the liguor licesnes won't do sqaut. They just can move over to the next city or county and buy all the booze they want to. It may inconvience them, but hell they are probably rolling with a bunch of booze anyway.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1997 Virago 1100 special (coming to craigslist in the near future)
1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 

TC_Victory
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 661

Posted 5/13/2008 6:31 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They are no better or worse than any club that wears the 1% badges. As for the people in these clubs, they are in their own world and do not want you to enter or disrupt them. Leave them alone and they have no quarrel with you. Start trouble and you face a group not just an individual. It's the way it is and all the 'puter keyboard talk won't change that.

As for their having a run based in your town, I doubt it would be any trouble. Too much of that thinking goes back to old stories, most of which were exagerated or outright lies. They are like magnets in the sense that different clubs repel each other in most circumstances. If they make peace before a group ride or run they honor it tho.

We have a strong contingent here and they often serve as "chaperones" ( security ) at some of the ABATE rallies. Some do not like this but most have a great respect of their authority and it does keep overly obnoxious persons from spreading trouble.

My other bike's a bassboat, Triton that is.

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 5/13/2008 6:38 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Interesting...what town was this?

The SoS are a big 1%er club.  Lot of them here in CO, I don't know where they're based.  Saw a few at the big bike show/swap in January, although the biggest 1%er club there by far was the Banditos who had probably 4 or 5 different booths. 

Martin

Denver, CO

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 5/13/2008 9:39 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What is a one percenter??

CrazyOldMan
Rocket Captain

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 561

Posted 5/13/2008 10:20 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
1%'ers are those folks who are part of motorcycle 'clubs' like Hells Angels, Banditos, Cobras, Iron Coffins, Outlaws. Some of these clubs are involved in somewhat dubious activities. They are hard core and loyal to death to their brotherhood. I give them plenty of space if I happen to encounter them.

BTW, as far as I can recall the "1%" term refers to the outlaw bikers (organized or not) in relation to the overall population of bikers.
There's lots of interesting history available online.

06 Honda VTX 1300 Retro
Metallic Blue, V&H Big Shots, Ultimate Lowrider seat......
Ride Safe, Ride Smart, and BTW,
WATCH OUT BEHIND YOU !

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 5/13/2008 10:36 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
1% used to mean the riders that didn't belong to AMA or any other goody goody outfit. Outside of the law. 13 is the 13th letter of the alphabet which is M for smoke. A white winger is a brother that won't share his ole lady with another brother. There a many others and meanings for different patches and what you have to do to get them.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 5/13/2008 10:56 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

We, in this part of Canada are not accustom to large gangs/clubs of basically colours being so important to most riding H/D or cruiser bikes.  BUT around once a year in July or August we have a sort of Hog group that meet & booze in Penticton, only 15 or 20 miles south of our town.  Still a bit of trouble with the police, but really not much & if one runs into them they are basically a decent lot with some that have clocked a number of yrs in riding.  

Around every three yrs we also have a group of ex-police officers on their H/D Cruisers to BMW & what ever they ride.  This group are darn ordely & the town of Summerland are happy to see them.  They go to some of the inclised & open restraunts to take a rest, have a bit to eat & whatever the want to drink, but not liquor.  Again a group that have many yrs of riding under their belts.

Remember this is Canada & especially south central part of the Rockie Mountains.  Also in Cdn f/arms are not permitted to be carried around & only certain people have that right & can only transport their f/arms to certified ranges to shoot them.  So much more orderly & so often safer in Canada.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 2/9/2011 1:25:59 AM GMT

Worm72_99
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 277

Posted 5/13/2008 11:21 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Litchfield, Illinois is where this was going to happen in Montgomery County. Home of Niehaus Cycle Days.

jclax01

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 5/13/2008 11:26 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
the 1% came from the the riot that occured in the 1940's ( I forget the name). the AMA said at that time that 99% of thier members are not involved in any criminal activity at all. hence the name 1% . I saw that on the history channel.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1997 Virago 1100 special (coming to craigslist in the near future)
1994 Kaw Vulcan 88

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 5/13/2008 12:53 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jclax01 said...
the 1% came from the the riot that occured in the 1940's ( I forget the name). the AMA said at that time that 99% of thier members are not involved in any criminal activity at all. hence the name 1% . I saw that on the history channel.

Hollister, 1947.  The Hollister riot was also the inspiration for the 1952 (or 53) Marlon Brando movie "The Wild One." 

Martin

Denver, CO

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 5/13/2008 8:26 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
TC_Victory said...
They are no better or worse than any club that wears the 1% badges. As for the people in these clubs, they are in their own world and do not want you to enter or disrupt them. Leave them alone and they have no quarrel with you. Start trouble and you face a group not just an individual. It's the way it is and all the 'puter keyboard talk won't change that.

As for their having a run based in your town, I doubt it would be any trouble. Too much of that thinking goes back to old stories, most of which were exagerated or outright lies. They are like magnets in the sense that different clubs repel each other in most circumstances. If they make peace before a group ride or run they honor it tho.

We have a strong contingent here and they often serve as "chaperones" ( security ) at some of the ABATE rallies. Some do not like this but most have a great respect of their authority and it does keep overly obnoxious persons from spreading trouble.

Word for word... Great post yeah

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

TC_Victory
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 661

Posted 5/14/2008 2:23 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
martinjmpr said...
jclax01 said...

Hollister, 1947.  The Hollister riot was also the inspiration for the 1952 (or 53) Marlon Brando movie "The Wild One." 

Yep, the 1% image that Sons of Silence wear as a badge came out of the Hollister "riot" that never happened. A great example of exaggeration showing that the press created their own news even back then. The famous "drunken rider" picture was staged long after the bikers had left. The town had no damage, rapes, pillaging, theft or fights causing injuries. The press didn't report it that way tho. They paid for everything they drank and ate and tho the townspeople were nervous and not wanting a repeat they actually have benefited from the incident over the years because of publicity and the "Hollister biker days" today.

My other bike's a bassboat, Triton that is.

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 5/14/2008 5:54 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A good source for info on the 1%ers (although it's now 42 years old) is the Hunter Thompson book "Hell's Angels." Thompson was a gifted writer and IMO "Hell's Angels" was the best book he ever wrote (it was also his first book.) Thompson hung out with, and actually rode with, the Oakland chapter of the HA's for about a year until they beat the crap out of him, so he got a unique insider's view.

As TC pointed out, about 95% of the stuff you read in the media about the 1%er clubs is either exaggerated, or outright lies. Thompson goes into great detail contrasting the actual activities of the club with the media sensationalism.

Martin

Denver, CO

Post Edited (martinjmpr) : 5/14/2008 1:57:17 PM GMT

Macmac
x mod

Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 2061

Posted 5/14/2008 11:52 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The whole Hollister thing started because the townie cops blocked off the road for drag races, and were present. The state cops didn't know this fact and thought things were totally wacked when they arrived.. The State cops started the whole problem.

As far as 1% ers today, the only ones I would worry about are the HA, which are the top of the biker gang food chain. I knew a few in my days, did work for them on their bikes and always got paid what I asked on time. The rest of them are all wanna bee's... meaning any other gangs.

Me: I mind my own bee's wax and have never had a problem with HA or any one else. The only way you become subject to their rules and way of life is if you become one, or get in their way. If it is getting in their way they will say so. If it is a fight you are seeking, then you better be ready to take all of them on...

The last time I did any carb work for the HA, I was paid in full when it was supposed to be paid and I was given a couple tee shirts with their logo '81' on them as a tip I guess.. My son wanted one when he saw it, the other I still have un-worn somewhere.

Oil Monger

Battman
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 43

Posted 7/29/2008 8:15 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Most civilians (non club members) get into trouble with the club members because they do not show proper respect. People want to go up to them and take pictures and touch their bikes or some drunk ass will mouth off in a bar. these are things you should not do. I have run across a few 1%ers up here in Washington (mostly Bandidos and Angels) and they have never given me any problems. I talked to a few and a local bike show and never had an issue with any of them. I am not saying that they are swell fellas or not involved in some crime but you get from them what you give to them.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rcvsmc-edu/id19.html

this is a pretty good link that will help explain a lot about the lifestyle.

Insert Cool signature here.

jclax01

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 7/29/2008 9:03 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
wow so taking pictures of people equate to an ass kicking....better yet beat up a drunk in a bar (with 4 or 5 of your buddies)...yea they sound like real upstanding citizens to me.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88

Post Edited (jclax01) : 7/30/2008 5:07:37 AM GMT

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 7/29/2008 10:10 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We have trained several 1%s and they are no different than anyone else. In our advance class, we touch base with the different patches and that is not to mess with. This is important for the 1st responders to know. Always talk to the Sargent of Arms first.

On our travels we have run into the HAs on some occations. As long as you treat them with normal human respect, no problems. We partied with a group outside Amsterdam one time, ran into a group outside of Las Vegas and actually rode with them for some hours before I politely told them I had to split becasue I needed to be in Las Vegas that night. Going 45 was too slow. Absolute no problems even with a rice burner.

We have several of these groups down here but they seem to be busier with the other clubs. This Spring Banditos were stabbed by some HAs over in Eureka Springs:

But business is good:

"EUREKA SPRINGS, Ark. (AP) - The Hell's Angels began riding into Eureka Springs a few days ago and are in the northwest Arkansas city for their second visit in 20 years. Additional law enforcement officers were posted just to help if anyone got too rowdy in the small mountain burg. The bikers have filled up the hotels and kept cash registers ringing at restaurants. Jo Ashing -- the owner of the 1876 Inn -- says the motorcycle group is expected to bring in as much as a half million dollars in business for the town. Although the leather-wearing motorcyclists have a reputation for being tough, Ashing described them as "lovely people." Their meeting was expected to wrap up tomorrow."

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me!

Battman
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 7/29/2008 10:23 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jclax01 said...
wow so taking pictures of people equate to an ass kicking....better yet beat up a drunk in a bar (with 4 or 5 of your buddies)...yea they sound like real upstanding citizens to me.

Like I said I am not sticking up for them I am just pointing out that it all boils down to treating people the way you want to be treated. I dont condone the things they do, but if you are living the outlaw lifestyle then the way that you react to the things that people do to and around you would be different than the way you or I may react.

Macmac
x mod

Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 2061

Posted 7/30/2008 5:21 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't know I would call it respect. Respect is a earned thing, so I would call it common courtisy which isn't so common these days. These gangs are like cops, in that if you mess with one of them, you are messing with all of them.

I have never been 'set up' by any of them, but I have been set up by cops more than once. It is a good thing I take my peeps one at a time. one on one, or I wouldn't like cops much.

One statey wanted inspection on his personal car, and at the time I didn't know he was a cop at all. I did the inspection and the car failed because the windshield was split. He accused me of knowing that was a cop and said I cracked the windshield.

How was I supposed to know the overweight gray sweat shirt wearing, raggety shorts, moron was a cop? He was looking for a new FREE windshield...

Another set me up for a Felony hit and run. I won the day in court, and he is doing hard time, and has been for molesting children, but it doesn't help that I have to wait for my 15 minutes with a bat, because he called my wife the 'C' word in the courtroom lobby. Some people with a little so called authority just let that minimal power go to their heads.

No bikers ever have done me any harm, or even wanted too.

Oil Monger

Battman
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 7/30/2008 6:59 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Macmac said...
I don't know I would call it respect. Respect is a earned thing, so I would call it common courtisy which isn't so common these days.

Well said. Courtesy is the correct way of saying it.

To The
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2008
Total Posts : 454

Posted 7/30/2008 12:23 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We have trained several 1%s and they are no different than anyone else.
They're plenty different from "anyone else".  The ones that wear a diamond 1% patch do so for a reason.  Same for the various other patches they wear.  First contact I had with any 1%ers was when my partner responded to a local clubhouse where they had a 13 year-old girl pull the train.  They get no respect from me and I don't expect any from them.  I don't see many 1%er patches, but you get to know who the criminal "clubs" are real fast.  As far as I'm concerned, you can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep.  When I see someone with their rag on, I presume that they're saying "I'm a member of this group and subscribe to the rules and value system of this group."  That's not a good statement to make when the group you're representing raped a 13 year-old kid.  I don't care if you had nothing to do with it.  You wear the colors, you wear them all the way. 

If you want a good look at 1%er's, read "Under and Alone" by William Green. 

Post Edited (To The) : 7/30/2008 8:39:27 PM GMT

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 7/30/2008 2:14 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To The: I hear that and I have heard and read quite a bit about these groups.

The sentence that you quoted from me, is taken out of the context during training actually motorcycle accident safety and trauma training, which by the way, every biker/rider should have - even the 1%s.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me!

jclax01

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 7/30/2008 2:15 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Battman said...
jclax01 said...

Like I said I am not sticking up for them I am just pointing out that it all boils down to treating people the way you want to be treated.

when was the last time you beat up someone for taking your picture? come on man...these people are complete and utter trash. they give all bikers a very bad name in my opinion.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88