Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > Should I attempt to improve the handling?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Richard47
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 12/24/2011 4:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here is a pic of my little 400 Honda, I've owned it three years. As you can see it still looks reasonably tidy, despite being 18 years old. It's not worth a great deal of money now, if I sold it in the spring I might get £1,000 for it, maybe a bit less. I like the motor, it's still very quiet and has enough performance for me, and I find the bike comfortable. I don't use the bike that much but I like to own a 'modern' bike to go with my old ones, it's more convenient than using the car at times and I enjoy a longer ride in the summer occasionally.

However, I have never been impressed with the handling. There is a road near me that has a bend with an awkward hump that I use to assess the handling. If I ride reasonably briskly and the bike feels it would go faster without mishap it passes the test. This bike doesn't pass. I wouldn't say it's bad but it doesn't inspire confidence and I've never felt as secure as I would like when cornering. I don't try to explore the limits, I would just like to feel I have a little more in reserve in case I make a hash of things.

So here is my question: is it worthwhile trying to make the handling a bit sharper? The rear shocks are original and must be past their sell by, the springs look ugly as they are rusty, so I need new shocks anyway if I keep the bike. Would it help if I was to get rear shocks an inch longer, say, together with progressive fork springs and maybe pushing the fork legs up through the clamps by 1/2". Would these things give me a significantly better handling bike? I don't want to spend a lot on the bike, so would I be better off doing this or should I think about changing it for another machine? Anyone had any experience of this?

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
DSCN2096.JPG
  476KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 1400 time(s).

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 12/24/2011 6:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How many miles are on the bike? If it's shaking it's head when you hit that bump it might be wear & tear stuff too. How are the swingarm bushings? Steering head bearings? Those are usually really cheap and that'd be my first shot.

I do think a fresh set of Ohlins piggyback shocks and a fresh set of fork springs (with fresh oil, and that'll help too) would make it a new bike. How about an aftermarket steering damper? Neat stuff.

To me it's an issue of : How much are you willing to spend on the old gal? and of course: At what point does the budget get big enough that it makes more sense to just trade up to a newer, fresher bike?

Only you can answer those questions m'friend.

The world's a funny place,
full of funny people,
doing funny things.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/24/2011 7:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ohlins are nice,but, Richard can get nitron and hagon for a good price. I would take a look that way. Regardless new suspenders are always a good choice. Agree with Casper that the wear and tear stuff comes first, Im guessing that has been looked after though. One would hope that just a good servicing of the forks and new shocks/springs would rejuvinate the ol' girl.
Love the 400 Richard. Its very yellow.... I'd bet cagers still miss it though.

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 12/24/2011 9:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

The bike has about 29,000 miles. The head bearings are fine and so are the swinging arm bearings. It had fresh oil in the forks just after I got it as the seals started to go. The bike is in good order generally but the handling is just, well, uninspiring and I would like to make it sharper. I once had the proper sportsbike version, same motor with the alloy beam frame and it handled really well, but was uncomfortable for an old git like me. I had hoped this would prove to be similar with more comfort.

I could just replace the shocks with new ones and put new fork springs in, then it would handle like new but would still leave something to be desired. I want to improve on that. Would having longer shocks and dropping the forks a little make it sharper do you think?

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 12/24/2011 10:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If I were You..I'd keep it, It's a Jewel. A Jewel dripping with potental, and a timeless look, as well.

You know the sources for suspension over there that is a serious up-grade...and for your use, there is a high likelyhood that suspension that was almost top shelf, came on someones bike...that took it off for an up-grade to top shelf for them...which would be new enough, and a bargain price.

Even if You bought brand new (and custom made for you) rear shocks and have the forks internals done to match...That Makes it the bike it should be...as a complete package.

I'm assuming your handling complaint is very simular to the complaint I had with my (bought new) Honda CB900F, It would wallow and weave (but mostly wallow) when I went through dip and rise corners faster than...it liked.

Also I'd include the Damper (like Casper suggested) Ohlins Rotary is the only one I can recommend (I think only the best is good enough) And they have been coming standard on so many Euro SuperMotards for so long...one should be findable used, by now...Minor servicing and it's good as new.

I'd go with shocks that are (in USA measurement) a 1/2 inch longer..that both being a bonus to the travel length and a nice sharpening of the steering....Then You can play with adjustments to dropping the triple clamps down the forks...and see what feels best there (and return from what feels too much, if You want).

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 12/24/2011 5:50:13 PM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/24/2011 10:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Lovely bike Richard for I use to have one as well though in red.  So I liked the handle bars being almost like flat bars, but still a slight raise in them.  The rear shocks had to go for 1" longer & a bit stiffer, to also best of tyres back in those days, we did not have tyres like to-day.  Then I perked up the front forks and to mentioned the same.  I put on kevlar front brake lines for a bit more grap, but then I went into a one-piece of adjusting the system in timing if I became to a point that I felt this extra work was needed.

I think you have the lovely 4 into one exhaust system that came out on the bike though I think I stuck with black wheel rims, but that was for my out look or it could be red due to factory.  Some claimed this bike was NOT as fast as  Yamaha 350cc two stroke, but all agreed it handled like a dream.

So REALLY you have the best ideas in mind.

Oh yes I did shift to bolt on rear footrests a bit farther back & higher up to my saddle, but that was me & my liking of a sportbike.

It will be interesting at the final outcome for two years ago just finished my "brunch" at a small restaurat I liked due to home made bluberry muffin & some coffee.  So cown comes this rider on the bike SHE has had since it lst came out.  Man the milage she had covered was dramatic & was on her way to Victoria on Vancouver, though originally from Ottawa.  She was on a hurry & told me ALL bikes she had seen were to big for her liking & my '03 Honda 954 looked more to the size she liked.  Not realizing 954cc was a great deal more then here 400cc plus the additional weight & higher in saddle height.

Note my 400 was called a 440 by the RCMP & that I was clocking 120mph (Max speed limit was 90 mph) till I noted them starting to catch up with lights blinking & so opened to "approximently 140 mph", yet still pulled over, but then we know a 400 like you have & I use to have will NOT do 400mph.  Oh yes one constable said I did not wander around the road, but seemed to stay directly on the white shoulder line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So proof that with the same bike I found it handled extremely well & proof is there though error in the speed for the bike would not reach over 85mph.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 12/25/2011 12:07:40 AM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 12/24/2011 11:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is a gorgeous little bike, and it sounds like it has the same handling issues that my pogo stick Honda Nighthawk 750 had when I won it new in 1993.

A set of not too expensive Progressive rear shocks, a fork brace, upgraded fork springs and Race Tech emulators transformed the thing from a pogo stick to a rather nice little handler.

I'd imagine something like that might cost almost 1/2 what the bike is worth, (probably about $500-$700 in parts here in the US), but as Lou said, that little bike is, indeed, a diamond in the rough.

If you lived nearby I'd buy it from you as is in a heartbeat!

EDIT: Not sure which model or which year your bike is but I found this summary of Honda's 400's on the web...some harsh criticism here, not sure it is warranted or not, but here it is:

HONDA CB400T
1978-79, 395cc OHC twin,
43hp, 110mph, 50mpg, 390lbs
Fast, odd handling, strange looking twin that has a nasty chain driven balancer system that’s difficult to adjust. Problems from camchain, clutch and gearbox. Whole bike self- destructed come 50,000 miles, many had serious engine problems at half that mileage. Front discs become dangerous with age and caliper rot means the only way to get them apart is with a sledge-hammer. Not many left on the road, thank god!

HONDA CB400N
1979-86, 395cc OHC twin,
43hp, 110mph, 50mpg, 385lbs
Update on the Dream with Euro styling, better handling and relatively sophisticated ride. Later models had easier to adjust balancers. Ran well to 25k when same hassles as the CB400T. The odd one made it to 75k before disintegrating but most had to use a second engine at 50k. Harsh vibes, shot selectors and rattles signs of high mileage.

HONDA CB400F
1975-79, 408cc OHC four,
37hp, 100mph, 60mpg, 375lbs
Neat but gutless four that can be problematic after 20k – pistons, camchains and primary chain. F2 model lasts better (50–60k). Quick seize disc and rain causes the engine to cut out (look for newish, sealed coils, HT leads and caps; electronic ignition helps). Cushdrive wear ruins chains and gearchange (linkage also wears). Check oil sump bolt as it’s too small so can break or round off.

HONDA CB1/CB400 S/FOUR
1992 on, 399cc w/c DOHC four, 53hp 125mph 50mpg 385lb
Rather bland styling but nearly as much poke as the replica 400’s (on which the engine’s based) and much more comfort for general riding keeps it in the game. Earlier CB-1 looks better, goes very nicely and handles well but quite a few were crashed in the UK – can withstand high speed slides with only minor apparent damage.

HONDA CBR400
1987 on, 399cc w/c DOHC four
53hp 130mph 50mpg 365lb
The original CBR400 looked just like the F1 CBR600 but such trickery as alloy frames and CBR900 styling were added to later versions, the CBR400RR being particular in its extremeness and lack of comfort. Hard used grey imports suffer from marginal electrics, disc demise, rattly top ends and can even take out the main bearings, usually after 35k.

www.oocities.org/roadrunner999uk/honda.htm

Post Edited (GAJ) : 12/24/2011 6:13:40 PM GMT

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 12/24/2011 3:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Richard47 said...

I want to improve on that. Would having longer shocks and dropping the forks a little make it sharper do you think?

I think it might be a disappointing project......and probably not worth the effort.

Shocks, sure.
Springs.....not likely; even with a little rust springs don't "wear out" without a LOT of HARD use.

Change the geometry.......certainly not something I would attempt.

Unless you can find someone else with that exact model who has tinkered with the suspension, it's gonna have to be your call.
I think the odds are against you.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/24/2011 5:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Honestly Richard that is a lovely bike for look at what I did to mine in a few yrs of work.  A steering head damper is not needed, the bit on the rear shocks & the f/forks is all I needed.  The POINTLESS IGNITION was good, but if you can get them now I really do not know. 

The first one I obtained failed, but they people handleing it admitted it was for larger bikes like 750cc & such.  I did have a chap with an 750cc Four by Honda & that was the answer.  The firm, address I do not know other then in some place in Eastern Canada sent the other one & THAT was the answer.

Really that is the spare bike (admit I have another sportbike) it would  be ideal to go into town or to a city some place a bit way off.

Crumbs I did not know you had tht 400cc four & as soon as I heard about it to see the photo of it my heart did a bit of a beat as I was in love with mine.

The dumb buyer demaded the stock old hydraulic lines, I installed & back to normal footrests.  I did not tell him about the pointless ignition system or that S&W shocks were not stock on the bike.  Fortunately being a newbie & ran into a cage finishing the bike & himself off.   Though had he handed the bike over to a shop to do some work on it the pointless ignition system would have left them baffled.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 12/24/2011 6:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

There will be a lot to consider here. Some cost analysis will have to be done to see if the cost of upgrade components turn out to be more than what the bike is even worth. Chances are it will, but on the other hand do you want to take on either a new bike payment or spend thousands on a good used machine? Factor in any emotional attachment you may have to your current ride and whether you have been considering moving into a different type of bike.

Tough call for sure, but that bike looks like a sweet ride, soI would lean towards keeper her!  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/24/2011 6:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Raptor I do not think you have the knowledge that Richard has for he has made some lousy bikes look like new.  So Richard knows what he has in mind.  So you may be jumping across the ocean & not realizing what Richard has not to mention a maze of experience.

Also back some years ago with the modifications on the bike I was parked with bike on its prop stand in lst gear in front of the post office that was legal then.  As I was about to walk out someone asked if that was my motorbike & my yes was, well it was hit.

I felt the bike was laying on its side.  But know it was hit by a woman driving a larger station wagon & had backed up hitting the front wheel, but the bike had not come down.  She could not see any damage, but I could feel it in my front forks.  To late for the RCMP would all be home for supper so we traveled to spot one on his way home for that meal.

He could not see $360.00 in damage, only I insisted it was.  Still he was amazed that this woman was with only a #6 LP YET for years had been picking up people with arthris to even on wheel chairs SO THAT WAS TOTALLY WRONG.

My bill was over $360.00 & the woman could not load people into her super long station wagon to take them from my town to hospital in Penticton city or back to our town again.

Yes I treasured that bike for really it was probably the fastest Honda 400cc four in North America, since I was doing 120mph & opened up to "---aproximently 400 mph---" when I noted them behind me.  After all this was the reason I lost my DL for six months to also my job as that majic pace is looked upon by the RCMP as being a Criminal Offence in Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Tack on this RCMP constable was only inches from my body & poking a 38Spl revolver, almost into my head saying "--another second & I would have shot you---"  So really that was a super not trotting bike that Honda had not designed as a sportbike, but a bike for enjoying riding as Richard has in mind.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 12/26/2011 9:40:00 PM GMT

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 12/24/2011 9:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No dispute there, Smitty. But that is not the point. The man asked if he should spend good money on new suspension pieces and adjust the geometry to make an 18 year old bike handle better. My take on  it is the bike looks like it is still in pretty decent shape and obviously new parts are going to help a great deal. but messing with suspension geometry is a serious matter and at the end of the day how much better will it be? It's a calculated risk, but if you still love the machine and everything else on the machine is good it might be a risk worth taking. It all depends on what performance goals you are trying to achieve.    

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/25/2011 3:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'll Vote again for Richard keeping and up-grading it. (Vote Early and often is my moto).

I don't put a lick of stock in the posts about engine problems...This is a Honda, and Honda gave us the most reliable engine driven goodies (Motorcycles, Cars, Generators, Outboard boat engines) that the world has seen.

If I belived failure reports over the internet, I wouldn't touch a ZX-10, because of all the reports of cracked frames and blown fork seals and Cracked rims.

I don't know how those riders rode their ZX-10's But I do know what the strain to the frame is when you do a sky shot wheelie and let it drop back to the ground, because the wheelie scared the rider and they chopped the throttle.

I Ride the roughest roads  (by choice)  I've ever seen with my ZX-10 and I haven't had a speck of trouble, not even a blown fork seal...and I ride 6 miles of dirt/gravel everytime I take the bike out , just to get to pavement (which is the roughest pavement, being an old wagon trail before it got a hard surface about 100 years ago, and never resurfaced since).

Post Edited (louemc) : 12/26/2011 2:31:35 PM GMT

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 12/26/2011 3:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thank you all for your input, it's been very helpful. I've been having a think and this is what I am going to do. I would like to see if longer shocks will make a worthwhile difference and I can see a way to find out without spending much money. I have a milling machine and a welder and I can make temporary mountings that will bolt through the existing shock mounts and have holes to mount the shock higher in relation to the swinging arm. In fact I can have two hole positions to see which works best. I won't need to alter the swinging arm in any way.

Once I find which shock length works best I will have a word with Hagons and see what they can offer. I will keep the bike anyway, Lou is right about the motor, it's a nice bit of kit with its gear driven cams. I'll give the bike a good spruce up and service over the next few weeks and I'll keep you posted how things work out. I'm hoping for a positive result. 

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/26/2011 4:10 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Im not sure dropping the forks is the answer to getting better handling Richard. Quicker perhaps but not better. I like that you are keeping it. Gear driven cams are one of those things that if you havent owned a bike with them,you dont know what you are missing. What diameter are your current fork legs? Could you possibly fit cbr f2 adjustable
forks in place. Really I guess its down to the steering neck/stem. Hagon piggy backs are just pretty. Good choice.

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/26/2011 2:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Honestly Richard it will be so nice when you get the bike modified for its handeling then let us know along with  photo for really now it is a lovely looking bike & at least I had the same for around 6 yrs so I know a bit more then the newer riders are commenting.

Remember once mine was finished all that rode it claimed it handled like a dream.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/21/2012 12:07:43 AM GMT

luiggispeed
My other bike is a Les Paul!!!

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 1802

Posted 12/27/2011 1:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I heard you complaining about "not inspiring confidence" and I hear many people yelling this and that and you're >< this close to start cutting and chopping, but I haven't heard anyone talking about what tires are you riding? 20 year old street tires? What pressure?

I would first make sure I have the freshest set of the best available tires recommended for that bike and at the correct pressure for your conditions.Than I would give it a test ride and fine tune the pressure. Worn tires, old tires, greasy shiny toasted tires DO have a total influence on any bike's handling. Make sure you have diagnosed your problem correctly before twisting your bike's geometry in any way. Remember, you can really kcuf up your bike by altering the geometry, that should have been done by a japanese engineer long ago, and they usually do a good job :) and of course use the recommended tire size.

Get good, fresh tires and start all over again BEFORE anything else!

I rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 12/28/2011 2:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I bought the bike, three years ago it had tires on that had plenty of tread. I rode it home in cold, wet conditions and as soon as I had gone a few yards I knew that the tires had to go. They felt horrible, had little grip and were hard as nails, I didn't enjoy that ride at all. So it now has Bridgestone BT45's on, which I have used on other bikes of this size with no problems. Different tires may make it feel better, it's true, but as there is no guarantee of that, the Bridgestones will have to do for now.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 12/28/2011 10:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Enough years have gone since that bike came too market, and it's particular development has been what it was - while you Richard
have developed in lieu with all neat new performance products and tech analysis.

Go for it Richard. You have my vote.

I took back a 73 Honda CB750 back in 1974 and improved it to a Dunstall Honda 900. How do I now that it was improved? Well, if you don't take my word, take it from a Honda factory test rider that came up and checked it out - though he rode pillion with me while his 2 bosses watched "my" Honda shop is Oslo.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 1/20/2012 8:07 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I said I would update on what I've done in my efforts to improve the handling on my Honda and here are my efforts so far.

I've made these fittings to alter the rear shock mounting and so raise the rear of the bike. I originally planned to make something very temporary, just to see what happened, but then I reasoned that if they work I can keep them on and I won't have to get new shocks just yet, so I made them a bit more tidy. They are steel as I don't have the equipment (or skill) to weld alloy. They are a bit over-engineered, I feel, and I would make them a little differently if I were to do them again. I'm planning to add some 'bobbins' to suit a paddock stand I have, which explains the vacant threaded hole you can see. I also dropped the front of the bike on the fork legs a little.

Anyway, on a test ride last weekend of about 15 miles I found that the steering is much sharper, which I like, and I also like the riding position which tips me a bit more to the front of the bike. It was pretty cold though, so I was reluctant to push too hard. I didn't want to end up on my ear, so the test was a bit inconclusive. I will have another go when the road surface is a bit warmer. I will probably put the front forks back as they were, but before I do so I will have to extend the kick stand. I should have forseen this little problem.

I haven't altered anything on the bike I can't return to stock and I've spent very little, so even if I put it back as it was it's been an interesting exercise. 

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
DSCN1745.JPG
  742KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 391 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
DSCN1748.JPG
  715KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 359 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
DSCN1747.JPG
  700KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 491 time(s).

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/20/2012 10:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Richard I do love the work so far, plus the next step of two.  YES once you monkey around with shocks length or positon at bottom or top.  The darn prop stand HAS TO BE EXTENDED.

Crumbs with your milling machine, welder & your engineering touch to experience.  THIS is starting to look like a lovely Honda.  Thng is I should have hung onto mine some yrs ago & the fool I sold it to demanded stock front brake lines instead of the Kevlar, to rear & higher set footrest.  I did not tell him the bike was with longer rear shocks, or that I had beefed up the front forks, plus best Dunlop tyres I could obtain TACK on a pointless ignition system, as I felt the chap that started to work on the bike would be dumb-founded.  Unfortunately within a day he piled into a cage finishing the bike & self.

YES I have been living in anticipaion as to how the changes would work.  Oh yes the Bridgstone BT 45 tyres were stock on '97 Yamaha YZF600R & only went to much better tyres once they were woren out, so they should be ideal, besides you have had good results with the same Bridgestone tyres previousdly.

Honestly know a bit about your work on prior, but smaller bikes, it is sort of an eye-opener in what you have had in mind & WANT to know what it like handeling.  True mine did not have the max speed I wanted, but believe me the handeling was ideal if not better then any bike around the same size.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/21/2012 12:09:54 AM GMT

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/20/2012 11:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Excellent experiment there, Richard.

Getting the feel of the chassis change, as in how you use the bike, can be all you want....on up to the incentive to go on to the suspension....who knows, even put an Ohlins rotory damper on, as insurance.

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 1/21/2012 1:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I applaud your decision Richard. Those 400 Super Fours are one of the most popular bikes going over there. Great machines really.

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/28/2012 10:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Honestly Richard I am looking forward to how you have progressed with the Honda 400cc four, if you have progressed in that time.

Now I know you were a bit pissed-off with this change in the new m/d board, only it is the same one as previously.  I let loose on this one for really it seemed to be screwed up to the maximum.  They would NOT accept my Handle (for someone else had it previously which means Rich screwed up on possibly joining with another m/c board) to also my password was not accepted as in prior years.  Yes I was calling  Rich many names for the screw-up  I would be doing the same to the chap that took over my position as Handgun Director (for we needed NEW BLOOD) but in a thing that might interest some into the Club AND no one has joined since, he was telling them to focuse on the rear sight, when it shouid have been the FRONT BLADE to also after they fired 5 shots the Range Officer would supply the with another CLIP loaded with another 5 rounds.  That was wrong for it was his wrong impression of what all call a MAGAZINE.  So when asked if I would supply the shooter with a 2nd clip I said NO, for I would supply them with a MAGZINE to also I had to tell them how to aim.  I will admit he pointed out the safety of a h/gun in their hands & to keep their finger out of the trigger guard.

Since then he has alwas said MAGAZINE & forgotten his favoured "clip".

True I did raise a stink & it is all back to normal or like before SO would like to see you back on Richard even if it is in the Motorcycle Garage part for you have always been priceless.  This chap with the handle of Rich DID NOT KNOW THE IMPORTANCE OF SOME OF THE OLD SODS.  Like I have not seen Chris either & probably a number of others.

We also lack the number of Threads that started the Posts others would come up with & so many were advise.

Of interest some 4 to 6 new chaps have come in, but we are waiting for them to make a comment.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/28/2012 5:49:45 PM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/28/2012 12:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

RichG was on the phone to me & apparently this old m/c board is going to be eliminated.  Now this is where I blew my cool in where my handle & my password was not accepted.

I think Rich is a bit pissed off that he is going to be orced to do this or that to ge on the NEW one.  When you think of it RichardG has been a good regular on the old board & remember he travelled down to the USA & all liked him.  For why not as he is a keen person for anyone to bump into.

So if he new one is as screwed up as I assume, along with the thinking of RichG THEN will my handle of Smitth still be accepted & will my password have to be changed.

So if this is what we are looking forward to then this board is going to loose a lot of new chaps to some of us old farts.

Believe me RichG is NOT HAPPY with what he needs to do to get on the new on or whatever it is called.  I think I have been there to find it all screwed  up for me.