Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > Eighteen Wheelers  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Smitty
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/11/2012 6:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
These are dangerous to any of us as m/c riders & same when driving our cages ESPECIALLY in the main paved roads in the Okanagan Valley.  Just the other day they were, as usual travelling to fast to where a few ran into each other to many more doing the same all from not being able to stop due to their speed on the iced up roads.

Hwy people tried to low some down, but they just continued to hit one after the other.  One was killed for he was out checking his 18 wheeler when another slammed into his & so the driver was found dead under his rig.

The RCMP, for the last few years have been asking drivers to report any 18 wheeler that is driving to fast, by possible remembering their LP number, but I cannot remember numbers to letters thanks to being with Epilepsy in my crawling days of life & followed my father down the 18 stept only the short cut being directly.  This was my lst scull fracture with a chunk of broken up concrete in the forehead.  Then you have many faults in live like failing many grades of elementary school, not able to understand words of someone speaking to you to anythink like what such & such a year or some others might mean in life of North America.  Even normal spelling was to hard on life & released after being held over 1/2 hr at school & told I could go home since I could not even remember two lines of a poem AND he was correct.   Still this does not effect me when riding a m/c or driving a cage to any form of truck or tractor & such.  Fact is since 1970 I have been teacing others how to handle & shoot a h/gun to even how to reload with safety or any errors I can correct.  Both mean more then a stupid poem line or two.

I could tell you how I had an 18 wheeler loose his DL through the colour of his rig, him swearing at me, to simply dangerous driving THOUGH I could not remember his LP & others remembering the same in other parts of B.C.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 1/11/2012 7:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Night riding is tricky when the retreads are all over the Interstate. Can't DOT make a rule that they can't run junk tires?

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

T-Bird
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 8

Posted 1/11/2012 7:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The government can do anything you can afford to pay them to do.  I also hate recaps, having too close of a view of one destroying itself at speed.

MDGeorge
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 856

Posted 1/12/2012 5:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rarely is there an 18 wheeler that passes me, on my bike or in the car.
I have not seen the problem with there speed. My interstate travel is on I10 through Florida and I65 In Alabama.
It ahs been unusual to see an accident involving an 18 wheeler due to speed.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 1/12/2012 8:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MD is correct, keep them big rigs behind you - and also - pass them quick with 100% attention particularly for flying off stuff. Tire pieces may kill you, and the truckers
are also on the cell phone. You see weaving, that's a sign.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 1/12/2012 11:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smitty said...
These are dangerous to any of us as m/c riders & same when driving our cages ESPECIALLY in the main paved roads in the Okanagan Valley. Just the other day they were, as usual travelling to fast to where a few ran into each other to many more doing the same all from not being able to stop due to their speed on the iced up roads.

Hwy people tried to low some down, but they just continued to hit one after the other. One was killed for he was out checking his 18 wheeler when another slammed into his & so the driver was found dead under his rig.

Here's a news piece on the multi-vehicle accident involving six highway tractor/trailer rigs: www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/01/10/bc-coquihalla-closure-crash.html

It happened on the Coquihalla Hwy. While I often do see tractor/trailer rigs travelling pretty fast (and on occasion at very dangerous speeds) on the highways, I'm aware that many people will say the same thing about motorcyclists...

In this incident, I believe that heavy snowfall which had been and was falling at the time (2:30 am) probably had a lot to do with it.

I've driven that section of highway during similar conditions, and it's nasty. The hill is very steep (when the highway was first built, many truckers didn't want to use it because of the grades which exceed 8%...). It's common to see trucks stuck on the hill, spinning their tires and sliding to the sides (they're required to chain up when the "poor weather" lights are flashing, but for whatever reason, many chance it anyway...I know that the one driver I saw interviewed on the local news swore that the guy who was killed was NOT out of his cab to chain up, but who knows...).

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/12/2012 12:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thank you for you have this ability of being able to capture the media print-out.   So much better then my bit of tougue flapping.  STILL 18 WHEELERS are the sort of the most danterous vehicles on so many roads in North America.

The chap with the red/wine 18 wheeler, the the RCMP finally had enough info, from others, as well, to have him loose his DL.

So often I was headed from Hwy 97 to through Penticton city, to hwy 97 on the other side.  The Hwy people set up a Channel Parkway for 18 wheelers, truckers to cage drivers & yes m/c riders to even bicycle riders.  The city speed limit being 50KPH was hiked to 70KPH on that Channel Parkway.

So often I would be clocking 70 or 75KPH when I find an 18 wheeler giving me the blast of a horn, that he wanted me to move faster even though this is a four-way lane.

People get speeding tickets when doing their 80 to 90KPH.  So this above fool would get by me at his 80 to 90KPH & be partway out of his rig with swearing words to me along with arm & hande signals, time after time.

Even at a stop light he would be head & shouldes out & aiming all at me.  That is finally when I reported him to the RCMP & some months later on an RCMP constable told me about the maze of other charges to end his DL.

Still it is those few, time & time again that scared the 'ell out of you OR you could have been badly injured.

For the interest of other this Hwy 97 stars from the Trans Canada Hwy down south through many towns, along with Vernon, Kelowna & Penticton city to finally be at the Cdn/USA border INTO Oroville, Washimgton OR from the USA into the Cdn section of Hwy 97 though the hwys are both called Hwy 97 in USA or Canada.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/20/2012 12:07:08 AM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/18/2012 2:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Well honestly it is WINTER TIME in this area & so many drivers of normal cages or 18 wheelers do NOT HAVE TRACTION due to lack of chains, to also driving way, way to darn fast for the mountain passes they are going over.

Not surprising to see some video of so many of them have rolled or jacket-knifed.  Any fool that is driving a cage is overy stupid for believe or not but an 18 wheeler is so much larger in size & weight.

Yet in some of the TV news some of the 18 wheeler people are just starting to put on their chains when in the ditch, but not crasched, though waiting for a tow truck & so proper traction tyres.  THAT should tell you that so many of the 18 wheel drivers are cought with their pants down even in the winter weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are trying to put on their chains when fellow 18 wheeler with chains on are buzzing by them throwing a lot of crap & the one putting on the chains, at to late a date, is pissed off.

Of interest I noted a Washington TV program was talking about two wheel drive & the advantage of four-wheel drive.  That cought my attention for he did not mention the maze of better points to an ALL WHEEL DRIVE.

I have had mine for past 6 yrs & at lst I was questionable considering that I had drived two wheel rear drive to front drive & hated the latter, to 6 wheel army vehicles.

I had read up on the ALL WHEEL DRIVE.  So took a used manual shift, at a good price, with winter tyres on, then headed to the twisty switches of the gun range with snow all over them.  What amazed me is that it was a piece of cake.  Did some more driving on Hwy 97 & finally sold.

Been sold ever since & so often some of the 4-wheel drive trucks, of members, run into problems getting up, but rarely, though when starting to warm up a bit, a few nearly went over the bank & though he would need a tow-truck though other 4-wheel drive plus winches was the answer.  Just that you had to come down in a sensible manner & that Subaru of mine is beyong belief.

To-morrow should be a challenge for it simply has not stop snowing even late as now.  I just plow out with the all wheel drive.  YET I have a factory recall on my older Subaru due to something on the handling at the left front & yes I will arrange to take it down, but they way this gal handles THEN I doubt if they will spot a similiar flaw on mine.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/19/2012 12:09:02 AM GMT

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 1/18/2012 10:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smitty said...
Of interest I noted a Washington TV program was talking about two wheel drive & the advantage of four-wheel drive. That cought my attention for he did not mention the maze of better points to an ALL WHEEL DRIVE.

I have had mine for past 6 yrs & at lst I was questionable considering that I had drived two wheel rear drive to front drive & hated the latter, to 6 wheel army vehicles.

I had read up on the ALL WHEEL DRIVE. So took a used manual shift, at a good price, with winter tyres on, then headed to the twisty switches of the gun range with snow all over them. What amazed me is that it was a piece of cake. Did some more driving on Hwy 97 & finally sold.

Been sold ever since & so often some of the 4-wheel drive trucks, of members, run into problems getting up, but rarely, though when starting to warm up a bit, a few nearly went over the bank & though he would need a tow-truck though other 4-wheel drive plus winches was the answer. Just that you had to come down in a sensible manner & that Subaru of mine is beyong belief.

Yeah, I'm a believer in AWD myself. I owned my first true full-time AWD back in the late 80s when I was working as a ski instructor, and my wife drove it well into the 90s. It was a 1980 Jeep Eagle, laugh if you will, but that thing was a tank and was one of the best "go in the snow" vehicles I've ever driven.

I owned several 4X4 pickups after that, including the Dodge diesel I drove for ten years; however, I replaced that with a Suzuki Grand Vitara AWD a few years ago, partially due to my experience with the Eagle. The GV is also great in the snow; indeed, after it was recently destroyed, I replaced it with another GV. The GV is similar to a Subaru Forester, only a bit heavier and more "heavy-duty."

Driving a true, full-time AWD vehicle (like the Subaru, the GV, or my old Eagle) in the snow is an interesting experience--one needs to be careful, because the traction can give you false confidence. They definitely go better in the snow, and they'll steer better too, but they won't necessarily stop any better than a similarly equipped 2WD vehicle (and keep in mind that most truck-type 4X4s are properly operated in 2WD mode on the road).

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 1/19/2012 1:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GeoffG said...
Smitty said...
Of interest I noted a Washington TV program was talking about two wheel drive & the advantage of four-wheel drive. That cought my attention for he did not mention the maze of better points to an ALL WHEEL DRIVE.

I had read up on the ALL WHEEL DRIVE. So took a used manual shift, at a good price, with winter tyres on, then headed to the twisty switches of the gun range with snow all over them. What amazed me is that it was a piece of cake. Did some more driving on Hwy 97 & finally sold.

Been sold ever since & so often some of the 4-wheel drive trucks, of members, run into problems getting up, but rarely, though when starting to warm up a bit, a few nearly went over the bank & though he would need a tow-truck though other 4-wheel drive plus winches was the answer. Just that you had to come down in a sensible manner & that Subaru of mine is beyong belief.

Yeah, I'm a believer in AWD myself. I owned my first true full-time AWD back in the late 80s when I was working as a ski instructor, and my wife drove it well into the 90s. It was a 1980 Jeep Eagle, laugh if you will, but that thing was a tank and was one of the best "go in the snow" vehicles I've ever driven.

I owned several 4X4 pickups after that, including the Dodge diesel I drove for ten years; however, I replaced that with a Suzuki Grand Vitara AWD a few years ago, partially due to my experience with the Eagle. The GV is also great in the snow; indeed, after it was recently destroyed, I replaced it with another GV. The GV is similar to a Subaru Forester, only a bit heavier and more "heavy-duty."

Driving a true, full-time AWD vehicle (like the Subaru, the GV, or my old Eagle) in the snow is an interesting experience--one needs to be careful, because the traction can give you false confidence. They definitely go better in the snow, and they'll steer better too, but they won't necessarily stop any better than a similarly equipped 2WD vehicle (and keep in mind that most truck-type 4X4s are properly operated in 2WD mode on the road).

When  I was in my most active, Extreme skier mode...I had a Subaru Brat with studded snow tires on all four corners. (tires that never saw pavement, I had a separate set of wheels for pavement). 

That vehicle out did every other choice of vehicle.  I was competing with everyother hardcore  every morning in the race up Mt Hood.

Not one vehicle passed me, I can't even guess at the number of thousands I passed.  No matter how early the start is made...there are others doing the same.
Every hardcore wants to be first into the parking lot, picking the spot they want to be in.  Then first in the lift line, first down the virgin snow that fell in the night.

In these "races" up the mountain, the fastest vehicles get into packs.
In those packs (we are all going the same speed on the same conditions)  I saw vehicles spin, and shoot off the road, over the edge and down the mountain.
Every time it was a Jeep.

Subaru had at that time, the only independent suspension on all four wheels and that flat engine/unitized body was the lowest center of gravity, that way.
Thats a big reason for Subaru dominating World Rally Racing.

That is a huge item, and it showed.

Subaru has the superior drive in viscus coupling of wheels so the speed differental between wheels on the inside of a turn and outside...is maintained.
 while drive of the wheels...is maintained. 
Jeep is good there, on drive, but their wheels and axles are too heavy...so not so good in how it works on snow.

4WD just plain sucks in this.  4WD is for off road, Rock crawling, etc.  It has the transfer case, for that use.

AWD is for being on an existing road...and also wanting the traction at all four wheels (no transfer case).

Oh and "false sense of confidence"  That's crap,  that is just plain, not knowning how to drive.

Any time you lift your foot off the gas, and especially if that includes moving the foot to the brakes.  It better not be because you have doubts about your speed and cornering...cause...at that point it is all thrown away.

Everyone has brakes on all four corners...and if You are braking...You're not one bit better than they are...If your going faster than them before braking...you're even worse than thy are.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 1/19/2012 8:22:43 PM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/19/2012 5:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

On thing about Geoff is that he has riden a lot, to also driven many vehicles.

Of interest up in the Kootney terrain, being Geoff's sort of terrain.  I was headed west to a downhill to Hwy 97 with three 18 wheelers in front of me only to have a fouth close behind me.  So I am a bit worried, ESPECIALLY when one, of the three in 2nd or 3rd from the front 18 wheeler.  Probably with an empty load & he decided to cross the one or two in front of the lead 18 wheeler & this is a  double NO PASSING LINE.  Okay I had the power to do the same BUT who might decide to do the same & that would be the death of me. PLUS I had this one from behind me. 

So at the bottom I pulled over to a parking lot & made sure all the 18 wheelers we well past me before I started to roll again.

Line on the way south of Penticton on Hwy 97 I noted this all yellow & chromed 18 wheeler close behind me, so I am headed east & have 7 normal cages in front of me.  That is when I go down several cogs & by all like a rocket.  THANK GOODNESS as said 18 wheeler would be held back by the seven cages in front of him.

Only 10 or 20 miles past I am in the town of KEREMEOS clocking 60KPH which is the the max speed limit.  Suddenly I note behind me this same yellow & all chromed 18 wheeler was only inches from hitting me.  So dove into a place at the right that retail fruit & vegitablees stand ,as said 18 wheeler continues on & the teener working there said----you were almost killed by the crazy 18 wheeler.  Like what sort of crazy killer was driving that tank??????????????

So I do not trust 18 wheelers.  Though I trust logging rigs empty or loaded for they will be a bit above the max speed limit & take the road like they have the past week or more, with ease, all wheels on the pavement, not some on the shoulder or across the center yellow line.

If you see a logging rig sort of loaded with newly dropped trees, PLUS a lot of dirt hanging under the rig, well stay back for a while as he hits a few bumps a maze of that dirty stuff will be all over YOU.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/20/2012 5:46:12 PM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/19/2012 5:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes I understand the pros of an ALL WHEEL DRIVE being often better then a 4-wheel drive.  So often I am on my way home clocking the dramatic speed of 80 to a bit under 100KPH, following some other drivers, & 100KPH is the max speed.  Still on me left side are a maze of 2-wheel dive cages closking 140 to 160kph on the snow or a lot of rain, in the summer-time, of actually some spinning out as hydroplaneing on a lot of water FOR they are LOUSY drivers.  Those at a slower place, in front of me also get a bit of a fright when they start to hydroplane  on the same batch of water though their lower speed was what saved them.

Yes when driving my Subaru I can see the above errors & when riding a m/c home I get past the rocket laucher cage drives to a pace I feel is more safe & will step up on drop the speed so I will not have an accident.  You have to play it SAFE to stay alive so help me & this comes from driving to riding since 1946.