Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > G  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

T-Bird
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 8

Posted 1/11/2012 8:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Greetings All,
     Just taking this opportunity to post a pic of my bike.  Its a Thunderbird 2010 I'm making a wee bit of a bagger out of.  As I live in Central Texas on a dirt road I usually refer to the bike as a "dirty bird" as cleaning it more than weekly is useless.  As you can tell, neither English nor photography is high on my short list of skills.  Best to all.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
446a.jpg
  88KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 228 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
444a.jpg
  38KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 220 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
443a.jpg
  73KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 210 time(s).

MDGeorge
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 856

Posted 1/12/2012 5:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Congrats on the nice ride. Welcome to the forum.
The T-bird was my second choice to the Heritge.

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 1/12/2012 7:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You clean your bike weekly? That's impressive, mine only get cleaned when it's time for maintainence.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 1/12/2012 7:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Richard47 said...
You clean your bike weekly? That's impressive, mine only get cleaned when it's time for maintainence.

I wash my motorcycle at least once a year whether it needs it or not.  smilewinkgrin

Martin

Englewood, CO (Denver suburb)

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

Previous Bikes:  '69 Honda CL450; '74 Honda CB750; '83 Honda 550 Nighthawk; '92 Yamaha Virago 1100; '83 Yamaha Maxim 750; '84 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD; '01 Triumph Thunderbird 900; '82 Kawasaki Spectre 750

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 1/12/2012 8:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Welcome to the forum, T-Bird. Very sweet ride you have there, Sir! Not to worry about a little dirt on the bike - Gives it some character I say! :-)  I do mine once a week too - deep cleanings get done at service time. Seems to be workin so far!

Anyway, welcome. This is a good group, so you should have some fun here!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 1/12/2012 8:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I ride in the rain sometimes,,,

Nice ride man. Welcome aboard.

The world's a funny place,
full of funny people,
doing funny things.

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 1/12/2012 8:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
if its nice enough outside to clean your ride, its nice enough to ride it. Nice looking T-bird.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/12/2012 1:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes welcome to the board T-bird.  I am a bit like Richard in ONLY washing the bike about once or twice a year, but admit the various bugs & I tend to collide, so once home I use some Pledge to remove what is left of them. Also do the same on my helmet visor at the end of the ride that day to several times when I stop off to fuel up or for just to many cast away bugs, bugging up what I am seeing, so find a spot off to the side & do the same with my helmet visor using a Plastic Protection of some name to also a CLEAN SOFT COTTON cloth meaning that visor will be good on the helmet till I have to scratch the helmet some 6 plus yrs down the road.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

T-Bird
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 1/12/2012 7:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and warm welcomes.  I am a Pledge user also, especially on the leather, Smitty.  The bugs are a problem here also, hate cleaning them off the bike and helmet, some of them are over a pound in size (this is Texas).  Actually, they only seem that way when they bounce off one's head.  What they lack in size they make up in sheer numbers.  Got to agree with Jdax01, if its nice enough to clean the bike its nice enough to ride.  We're blessed with year round riding weather, if you can handle a little cold, so there is no "winterizing" the ride.  Thanks again for the welcome.

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 1/13/2012 8:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jclax01 said...
if its nice enough outside to clean your ride, its nice enough to ride it.
Yes, thank you!  smilewinkgrin

If it's nice enough to wash, it's nice enough to ride.  And when you ride, it will get dirty, so no point in washing it before you ride.  And when you ride all day, it's dark by the time you get home and who washes their bike in the dark? 

All of which explains why my bike is dirty most of the time.  :p

Martin

Englewood, CO (Denver suburb)

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

Previous Bikes:  '69 Honda CL450; '74 Honda CB750; '83 Honda 550 Nighthawk; '92 Yamaha Virago 1100; '83 Yamaha Maxim 750; '84 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD; '01 Triumph Thunderbird 900; '82 Kawasaki Spectre 750

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/18/2012 2:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

T-bird not bugs like Texas, but when hiking my way up into the mountains to the passes on the left or right can be many farms of some difference like some with hay they will mow down, to cattle, to vegitable to Fruit farms. So my jacket is plagued with deceased  bugs.

I had my jacket hanging on another chair to have a cup of coffee & blue-berry muffin (this is my brunch for I take off, so often with no b/freast) when the owner asked if I had an accident due to all the deceased bugs.  Only pointed out no accident, but maze of bugs.  Nothing like in Texas I will agree.

My full face helmet is perfectly clean when I am taking off, but sometimes part-way to the turn around point I will have to clean the visor again, & know for sure at the small restaurant some kilometers away I will have to do it again to make the run home in a more safe manner.

Any form of PLASTIC PROTECTION is ideal for cleaning the visor along with a super clean SOFT cotton cloth.  For so often 6 yrs down the road I will still be using the original visor or sometimes an even an older visor, as I put them away just in case, if they will still fit my Shoei helmet.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/23/2012 4:58:29 PM GMT

AK Duc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 922

Posted 1/19/2012 1:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello and welcome from another Triumph owner and the other end of the US!

Have fun, Mark H.

My Ride Reports

T-Bird
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 1/22/2012 8:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smitty, understand where you are coming from. The river valleys around here during spring and autumn will leave you covered with deceased bugs. I use an HJC modular helmet and replace the face shield at least annually. I keep it cleaned but I swear that some of those bugs carry knives. How is the bug situation in Alaska, AK Duc? Alaska is a beautiful place and I definitely envy you the terrain up there, though not the short riding season. I was there in 1970. Thanks for the comments and look forward to hearing from both of you again.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/28/2012 5:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

You are right T-Bird since so many of the farms, up in these mountains are on the left or right with hay farms, vegitables, grapes, fruit trees to catle.  Now being an ex-fruit orchardist I payed so much for some bee hives to be placed in my acerage & yes they did their good.

Still what amused my Mother was that she scratched the spot for her flowers to some plastic one & sure enough the bees would spot the plastic ones & travel back to the hive, with other works & tell them the route to these amazing flowers!!!!