Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > I'm thankful for motorcycling....................  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
33 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/12/2012 7:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Because,..........well let's get a list going, because many of us have multiple reasons. Here's one:

I'm thankful for motorcycling because it gives me a real life away from all the media crap and hype. I could care not ONE bit about ANYTHING Kardashian! I cannot fathom why anything about them has any merit whatsoever for our daily lives, yet even the national media covers them.

For that matter, I'd be more concerned about the Kardashians on Star Trek the Next Generation.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 1/12/2012 8:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm thankful for motorcycling because it gives me a sport/hobby/recreation that I can enjoy every day without taking resources from my family.

If I go play a round of golf, I take $40 I could'a spent on groceries and 4 hours I could have spent with the grandkid and treat myself.
Bowling,,, same thing. Stamp collecting, RC airplanes, etc.etc.etc. All solitary pursuits that take time and money away from the fam.  There's nothing wrong with any of these, and I treat myself once in a while.  But I always feel like I'm being a little selfish.

But a fun 40minutes of motorcycling? Well I gotta get to work either way. Motos just make it fun.

The world's a funny place,
full of funny people,
doing funny things.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 1/12/2012 9:07 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Andy VH said...
Because,..........well let's get a list going, because many of us have multiple reasons. Here's one:

<<snip>> 
For that matter, I'd be more concerned about the Kardashians on Star Trek the Next Generation.
Good one Andy! lol  Well, for me, motorcycling is a personal victory because I was never supposed to be able to do this in the first place. I have overcome a lot of physical adversity just to get to this point, so every morning when I throw my leg over my bike I am very, very thankful.

I am thankful for the kinship I feel with fellow riders out there, this is a thing that still amazes me. We are sort of like an extended family; I have never experienced anything quite like it.  

I am also thankful for the spiritual lift I get when I'm riding. It's truly the only time I am ever at real peace. In these crazy times, this is priceless.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 1/12/2012 9:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I love riding cause once we put our butts on the bike and take off, we're set free and leave it all behind - just the road, the bike, the air, the curves and the sound.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 1/12/2012 11:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's therapy.

When I used to commute to work on my bike I'd arrive far more invigorated and ready to jump into the day than the days I drove the car.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/12/2012 1:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

The same as the rest of you.  The simple matter of riding, shifting gears, use of the clutch lever, throttle & such  are things that the maze of cage drivers probably do not do or even dare to try to learn how.

For in a way when I look at a bird flying it sort of reminds me of riding.  When at the gun range I spend almost an hr watching the birds fly & it is so interesting & such an eye-opener in how they can glide in the air to also hit places of where they are lifted up & such.  Finally some of the regular h/gun shooters arrive & since I have set up the sign in book,  to charges, to cost of targets has already been set-up.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 1/12/2012 2:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's both phyical and mental therapy, and opens a possibility for me to see America.

The trail riding did a brain building job, in focusing concentration on picking a line...and physical coordination in telling the bike how to move, all the time with coping with slick/loose traction conditions.

That all transfers to riding street, and driving as well.

The physical workout, under the guise of having fun...has kept me in great shape.

Everyone else My age, that I see, is a physical disaster.

To be fair it wasn't just trail riding...it was the type of person that does that, as well.
I bicycled from Portland Oregon to Guatemala and back, and on a seperate trip, trecked through the Peruvian Andes.
And also started skiing when 5 years old...ramping that up to extreme skier at 50.

The current pavement riding on my prepped ZX-10...allows and forces a concentration that isn't approached in any other part of life.

Like Smitty...I slip into a bird flying mode..especially on the mountain downhill grades/switchbacks...
sometimes when both wheels are in the air, as well.

So I've got a lot to be thankful for.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 1/12/2012 9:28:24 PM GMT

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 1/12/2012 2:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yup, when I'm on my bike, everything else is gone and I am totally engrossed by the riding, the sensory aspects, the affect of being in the conditions, relating my thoughts to what I want the bike to do, and feeling the responses. Nothing else seems to do that for me all the time.

Not tied to a computer, not blurring my brain with all sorts of TV reality blather, just me, the bike, the expereince, the ride. Its still so good that after 40+ years it still feels fresh and envigorating.

Low level flight.

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 1/12/2012 3:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For me, riding has a couple  blessings. When I share riding with my wife (pillion) we epxerince the joy of travel in a way unique to the machine and it's virtues and it's drawbacks. This makes the memories even more special and the trip more meaningful. It binds us as one uniquely that way. When I'm by myself I get to reflect and get back in touch with my inner being. I arrive a t work pumped, I com home relaxed. I leave on a tour with anticipation, and I return rejuvinated and cleansed mentally. On the rare occasion that I get the bejeebers scared out of me, it makes me realize what a wondeful gift life is and to appreciate what I have and those I share it with.smile

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 1/12/2012 4:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Two main things - First being able to pass stopped cars in traffic by the thousands on every commute to or from work. Also, it's a cool "brain eraser". No matter how crappy may day at work was, by the time I'm home, I'm smiling.

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R & 750 Nighthawk

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 1/12/2012 4:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Had to drive from the Bay Area to Riverside (South of LA) and back this past weekend.

How do those people put up with that traffic and not see the huge advantage a motorcycle has to offer in that commute environment is beyond me.

Mind you, a lot of the bikes lane splitting have far too much faith in that double yellow they have separating the HOV lane from the other lanes than I'd have.

They blast down that double yellow as if nobody would ever "cheat" and cross before the allowable merge areas.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 1/12/2012 8:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No comment.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

skyhawk04kilo
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 1639

Posted 1/12/2012 8:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Andy VH said...
I could care not ONE bit about ANYTHING Kardashian!

Hmm... I can think of a few bits of Kardashian I'd be interested in.

2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1978 Yamaha XS650 Special

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 1/12/2012 8:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wrinkles and no tats, boring.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 1/12/2012 9:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Picking up the 2012 ZX-14 SE green tomorrow. Not boring, and far faster, heart beat through the roof.

Hellfighter
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 201

Posted 1/12/2012 11:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
skyhawk04kilo said...
Andy VH said...

The problem with this, is that in person you'd actually have to hear her speak. Boner killer right there.

On Iron Horse He Gladly Dies

skyhawk04kilo
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 1639

Posted 1/13/2012 4:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hellfighter said...
skyhawk04kilo said...
Andy VH said...

The problem with this, is that in person you'd actually have to hear her speak. Boner killer right there.

lol lol lol

2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1978 Yamaha XS650 Special

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 1/13/2012 5:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kinda like a bike that is simply gorgeous to look at, but runs like crap, is expensive to fix, breaks down all the time, can't find parts for it, insurance is ridiculous, just doesn't produce a lot of satisfaction. Great to look at, but ya gotta be able to live with it.

Anyone who has a multi-million dollar wedding, media hype all over, and then files for divorce not even 80 days later? You have to wonder about what's inside that one, or isn't inside that one for that matter. Pass.

MDGeorge
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 856

Posted 1/13/2012 8:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Riding gives me an oportunity to be with just me, if that is what I want.
It also gives me something I can do with my wife, if that is what we want.
It gives me new friends, new adventures, and new motivation.

It gives me sometihing to be proud of myself about. (OK, that's getting too deep).

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 1/13/2012 9:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nah it aint, George. I know what you mean, man. Finally getting the oppurtunity to participate in this great sport has been a life changer for me, and for my Wife for that matter. I like what you and Budoka said in that regard. This thing has become almost something of a religion for me! So I'm thankful for finding a thing that one can feel such passion for.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 1/13/2012 9:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ZX Rider said...
Picking up the 2012 ZX-14 SE green tomorrow. Not boring, and far faster, heart beat through the roof.

Right on, ZX. Heck, I'm excited for you! Looking forward to a "first ride" report! Congrats again, man.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 1/13/2012 10:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ZX Rider said...

I'm excited as well.  The picture of it on the cover of the March Sport Rider mag, is So Beautiful.

And, for public road/Utah Canyons, and getting out to Southern Utah Canyon lands, and beyond, that's  a Sweetie yeah

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 1/13/2012 1:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...
ZX Rider said...

Right on, ZX. Heck, I'm excited for you! Looking forward to a "first ride" report! Congrats again, man.

I think that goes for all of us Raptor. Hey ZX wrinkles can be smoothed out, and tats added anytime! Remeber Andy if it has boobs or wheels, it's gonna cause some trouble somewhere!lol

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 2119

Posted 1/13/2012 2:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow - what to be thankful for...

Without getting too specific about racing, track days, street rides, touring vacations, dirt riding, Baja trips, commuting, etc... I'd have to say this...

Motorcycling gives me a special thing in my life that I discovered at 15 and has never stopped exciting me and giving me an immense amount of pleasure, satisfaction, competition and discovery. When I'm feeling upbeat, I think about rides and plan trips and work on my race bike... when I'm feeling low, I think about rides and plan trips and work on my race bike... that has to say something, right?

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 1/13/2012 6:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Agreed Hellfighter, if Kardashian had as many pricks hangin outta her, as she had in her, she would be a porcupine.
 Motorcycling and motorcycles have kept me outta really big trouble since I was 6. I still got in trouble. Just not as much as I would have. The threat of losing my privileges, kept me straight.  Now motorcycling just gives me joy. Its a selfish by myself time. Teaching my kids to enjoy, respect, and love motos is fun as well. Its definitely a passion.

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.