Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > Selling used motorcycle jackets  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 1/12/2012 5:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've got about five lightly used motorcycle jackets that don't fit me anymore.

Other than Craig's, I've been looking online for a place where I can sell them. Anyone have any ideas?
I don't want a lot of money for them, but they are worth something.

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R & 750 Nighthawk

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 1/12/2012 5:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gone in 60 said...
I've got about five lightly used motorcycle jackets that don't fit me anymore.

Other than Craig's, I've been looking online for a place where I can sell them. Anyone have any ideas?

I don't want a lot of money for them, but they are worth something.

ebay with a low "Buy it now" price. if not, try as many online motorcycle forums that has a classified section as you can...

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 1/13/2012 8:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Craigslist is best IMO. That way you're dealing with locals, dealing with cash and not paying any fees.

Just meet in a safe place like a store parking lot, and if possible take another person with you.

My wife bought her last MC jacket from CL. Barely used and she got it for less than half of new cost.

Martin

Englewood, CO (Denver suburb)

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

Previous Bikes:  '69 Honda CL450; '74 Honda CB750; '83 Honda 550 Nighthawk; '92 Yamaha Virago 1100; '83 Yamaha Maxim 750; '84 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD; '01 Triumph Thunderbird 900; '82 Kawasaki Spectre 750

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 1/13/2012 10:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, guys. I guess those are the best routes!

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/13/2012 12:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Gone 60,  I sort of know what you have in mind.  Crumbs I ended up giving away custom made Moto Cross leather pants from Norway, that were some 20 yrs old, to a chap that needed them, but did not have the money.  Also have three Waxed Cotton Barbour & Sons jackets still dating back to the 60s & several that have been received in the last few years, tack on the light one-piece Observed Trials suits, to one that was waterproofed, to still a number of fabric ones for dirt competition, tack on several Joe Jocket jackets that were poorly designed of where one was so bad that if liner is in then you cannot do a quick shoulder check when planning getting over to the left lane to quite a number of dirt comp gloves still in good shape.  YES I have 5 good pairs of different makes of better quality jackets I use on the hwy, & close to competition form, but some I will keep in stock just in case.

Like if it is stinking hot I will set one pair of hwy gloves rest a few days before thinking of using them FOR I am using one of the other few I have not used for past week possibly.

I know the Observed Trials comp gear is of no interest for they are old to not what so many are using since back in 80s or 90s for life keeps on changing or moving along.  Still in good time they were needed.

My fault in taking on a matter of older age & not drop waist size I have one pair of 100% waterproof & properly lined waxed cotton pants that should still be in perfection even now.

So some of us do build up a number of things in the m/c line & I am not referring to outdated helmets.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

AK Duc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 922

Posted 1/13/2012 1:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Post pics of 'em in the Flea Market on here and the same in any other mc msg board you're part of.

Any of 'em Ducati, Harley, or Triumph in about a sz40? ;-)

Good luck, Mark H.

My Ride Reports

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 1/16/2012 10:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi guys,

Sorry Duc, nothing in those brands, or in that size. I don't own any bikes that fancy! In fact, I'm now buying size 40 stuff, and the jackets I'm selling are much bigger.
This is interesting - I found a place in Long Beach CA called Yellow Devil Gear Exchange - www. yellowdevilgear.com

About 30 minutes from my house, so I went to check it out yesterday. Very cool little shop! The lady who owns it has racks of both men's and women's nice but used jackets for sale, and takes jackets in on consignment. She also had boots and gloves, and new helmets (she doesn't deal in used helmets)

Cool idea - I'll probably take my stuff to her to see what happens.

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 1/16/2012 12:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, the "Yellow Devil" place sounds interesting.

Ten years ago or so, I bought a good-condition used jacket from an online company called "New Enough." At that time, they sold mostly used gear on consignment, but were just getting into selling overstock, discontinued, etc. Within a year or two, they stopped selling used gear--and a year or so ago, they changed their name to reflect that fact.

Their leaving has left a void in the market; I'm glad to see other specialty shops (like Yellow Devil) step into that void. I think I'll check out their website.

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 1/16/2012 1:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Geoff - just to let you know, if you check out their website, they have a few jackets listed, but as I found out, only a small portion of what they actually stock. It's a neat, eclectic place - definitely worth the trip if you're not too far from Long Beach. They're also just a few blocks up from the beach, so if you're doing a coastal ride through the Belmont Shores area, it would be a quick detour.

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 1/16/2012 2:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've bought & sold lotsa stuff on Ebay and always been happy. The fees are pretty reasonable and I've always gotten good prices for the things I sold.

The world's a funny place,
full of funny people,
doing funny things.

AK Duc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 922

Posted 1/16/2012 3:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cool. Sounds like a great little shop!

Good to help keep folks like that in business too.

Thanks for the reply and the heads-up on the shop.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

My Ride Reports

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 1/17/2012 10:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gone in 60 said...
Geoff - just to let you know, if you check out their website, they have a few jackets listed, but as I found out, only a small portion of what they actually stock. It's a neat, eclectic place - definitely worth the trip if you're not too far from Long Beach. They're also just a few blocks up from the beach, so if you're doing a coastal ride through the Belmont Shores area, it would be a quick detour.

Hmmm...I did a ride south to San Francisco last year, took 3 weeks, had a blast riding around NorCal and Oregon. If I'm ever down that way again, maybe... :-)

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 1/17/2012 2:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The lady who runs the shop was very nice, and I really hope the store is successful. Duc, she had some cool stuff you'd probably be interested in. When I was there on Sunday, a guy with a beautiful 848 was shopping, and bought his girlfriend a Ducati jacket.

MotoMan1
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 7

Posted 1/17/2012 6:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you're not interested in Craigs or eBay, at least check around and see what they are selling for then I'd go to motorcycle aftermarket stores/thrift shops. They might be willing to 'buy back' something. Garage sales, too.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/18/2012 1:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Honestly it would be nice if there was a shop that would handle good shape used riding gear RATHER then it handing on the rack & not being used any more.

GeoffG was walking by a rack of outdoor normal gear ( we do have winter here as well) to m/c gear, when visiting me & saying "Had this, had that, still have this, etc".

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.