Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > Too Cold...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

MDGeorge
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 856

Posted 1/14/2012 6:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
27 degrees at my house, near Pensacola.

It seems the older I get, the colder cold gets. I can handle the 50's but thats about where the fun stops.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 1/14/2012 8:15 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MDGeorge said...
27 degrees at my house, near Pensacola.
I'd invite you down south but that's about the temp. in Ocala too.

My threshold is about 60F, without extra layers, that is.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

MichaelD
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 658

Posted 1/14/2012 10:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For me the temp is only a factor depending on the distance of travel. I ride daily for my 70 mile round trip journey to and from work.
It was 16 when I left Thursday morning and a nice 50 on the way home. I wouldnt want to travel excessive miles in those 16 degree temps.
I wear a First Gear Hypertex winter riding suit, Winter gloves with ThermaKnit insulators, and a Balaclava. Full face helmet with a chin curtain. No heated gear . I admit Im a riding addict and there is no cure. When it snows or gets icy is the only times I dont ride. I ride about 60 of those miles at 60 to 70 mph. the other 10 are in town. My coworkers think Im insane but its just another day and if I were uncomfortable I wouldn't do it. For me perfect conditions are between 70 and 80 degrees.

In God We Trust, All Others Must Submit Objective Evidence

South Central Kansas

Post Edited (MichaelD) : 1/15/2012 8:31:41 PM GMT

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/14/2012 11:24 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It was 37 here in Green Bay on Tuesday, with a high projected of 46. The local BMW shop owner called me and said he needed a bike delivered to Wausau (100 miles away) and another bike piked up in Wausau to be brought back to Green Bay. Woohoo,.....I'm riding in January! It was cool for sure, but sunny and mild, and I got in over 200 miles that day.

I guess since I also ride snowmobiles the cold itself is tolerable.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/14/2012 12:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Well as 90% or more, bar Richard I can say with accuracy, then WELCOME TO A SAMPLE OF WINTER LIKE WEATHER IN CANADA & that is why our riding months of the year are so limited & while so many of your are riding we will have WINTERIZED our bikes some times earlier that season. 

just think of it when you obtain insurance on your bikes it is for a MUCH LONGER RIDING SEASON OF YOUR YEAR, but so much shorter in Canada plus our insurance in high in cost each year.

Yes I have tried ice racing a sort of beat up scrambler, many years, ago, but to cold & so back to speed skating or if in terrain for skiing then it was skiing.  Though GeoffG has to be one of those strange board skiers since he lives in one of the better skiing part of the B.C., Province & already a number have been killed in the NO SKIING slopes they just had to challenge.  I am wondering when more will be killed in snhowmobiles.  Oh yes even just cross-country skiing around the mountains can end up the same if things are against you.

I was with two others & we were laying explosives so as to test the snow of where it might come down on the Trans Canada hwy.

I missed one avalanche, but got cought in another, which is like HELL & the other two thought the ski-pole basket showing might lead to me & it did.  That is when all of us Quit & they had to bring in the howitzers.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 1/16/2012 4:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very seasonable here now, -29*c (20 below f) this morning and a stiff breeze. Normally would be just another day for here, but it's been so crazy mild this winter it hurts big time. And I've got an electrician coming out tomorrow to pull some cable 'outside' for a renovation, poor SOB, it's supposed to hit -35c tonight.
Sorry Andy, but I'll bet it's a wee tad chillier in Green Bay today huh?sad

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 1/16/2012 10:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Budoka, that is crazy! Probably too cold to even snowmobile. Though that might be the only way to get anywhere! 

It was about 36 here this morning. But the cold had a more bitter feeling to it. was definitely on ice watch. It's supposed to start raining soon but not if it stays this cold. It's making for interesting trips. Glad I have that Rocket jacket, man. 

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Post Edited (RaptorFA) : 1/17/2012 6:00:54 AM GMT

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 1/17/2012 12:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yesterday was nice, it hit -40 in the valley this morningfreaked and more of the same for the rest of the week says Enviro Canada. Funny how they're never wrong when it's bad weather they forecast.

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 1/17/2012 2:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yesterday we were in the mid 60's. It was warm enough to get my first ride of 2012. Today, wind chill at 21 degrees and dropping. Probably be in the single digits with wind chill after the sun goes down. The drastic difference gave us early morning Thunderstorm (2:00 am) and said thunderstorms woke me up at said 2:00 am. needless to say I am not in the best of moods today grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/18/2012 1:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Both GeoffG & I set our temperatures inside the house at quite a low reading.  Just today I obtained 1 L of milk to notiece I have 15% of one, but this would be a max of four.  So downstairs to plant the partially open container of milk & would haul it upstairs during b/fast to Supper time.

Pretty well the same Temperature Budolka ONLY remember we are looking at many fruit orchards & with such cold temperatures, well it can sort of put you out of business as you loose so many fruit trees.

Back in '46 we had it drop dramatically & we could all hear the bark of the trees splitting off, though by '48 we expected it back to normal ONLY on ANOTHER super cold spell.  I had replace some 350 fruit trees & had 1000 whips in the ground & would bud these dwarf to various type of apples & had 4 to 5 chaps asking for 50% of the new one.  Thing is come '48 came another dooze of cold weather lost all whips I had budded, to so many other still upright fruit trees.  THAT was the finish of me & would do any form of work to obtain a bit of pocket money. 

Yet all the dawn to dusk work on my own. with no helper, to run a fruit orchard was to my liking.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/19/2012 12:19:57 AM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/18/2012 1:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Agree with you Budoka for I lived in your Edmonton, Alberta city from '45 to '50 so had a sample of it.  Mind you not as bad a WINTERPIG as we called Winnipeg Manitoba, Saskatoon Saskatchewan, Calgary Alberta, to Banff Alberta bar moving to the Okanagan Valley in B.C. ub 1960.

Which reminds me that one has to watch what they say in front of young  people.  My Mother offered one of her sisters, we would handle Betty Lou till insurance & such was settled (her husband was using a steam locmotive as protection from a slide, as they were working the raill lines, but down came an avalance of snow with enough power to take the steam lomotive & my uncle to the deepest & deather to my uncle.

Betty-lou came home crying over an error or two in spelling for she had written WINTERPIG & that was WRONG so we had to tell her that was a SLANG word used by some adults, while WINNIPEG was the correct spelling.  She had been with us since 5 yrs of age & this came about when in lst or 2nd grade.  WE LEARNED A LOT THEN.

Also she lived most of her early life on a farm & knew what cattle, swines (pigs) meant, & such.

So will back you up on whatever you say about Edmonton & its strange weather.

Mind you on Saturday I cleaned off the snow or the narrow double driveway, then did it again in Thursday, I think, though looked out & the mess was still there, but knew shovelling again would be a waste of time for it WAS STILL SNOWING.  So thanks to a Subaru & its ALL WHEEL DRIVE.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/21/2012 12:15:21 AM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/21/2012 10:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

A hair up in temperature, though still freezing weather AND of all things it has snowed again.  That means some time in the future I will have to dig out.

Honestly was not happly with throwing snow around head leverl or high to the right or left, but that left hip of mind will be pure pain when I do that IT I get the guts to do it AGAIN.  Like i have already done it four times.

No truck with a blade on the front along with sanding, fine gravel & salt, so far.  Besides they leave a mess outside of my driveway for I am at the bottom of a T-section so you can guess the mess they leave.