Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > You gotta be kidding me.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 1/17/2012 8:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i saw this story on this site and was reading it. At first, I thought that they were taking engines that had been modified and returning them to stock. But at a closer look, I saw that they were taking stock engines with high miles on them and "refreshing" them. And you pay premium price for these motorcycles why again? take note of the years that they are refreshing. then look at the price. Is the harley engine becoming the equavalent of the HP printer cartridge? oh and look at the prices they are attaching to these rebuilds. Crazy.

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 1/17/2012 10:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looks to me like a simple engine rebuild, just done by Harley employees rather than your local rebuilder (or yourself).

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 2119

Posted 1/17/2012 10:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm guessing the cosmetics and the 12 month warranty are what are sending the price so high. Given that, it seems in line with the rest of Harley's pricing to be honest.

jclax01

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 1/17/2012 11:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Look at the years they are including in the rebuild. At the end of the pricing list, they include the 2007-2011 dyna and touring models. they have a rebuild program for 2011 models? never heard of that, but I have heard from a buddy who has a 110 ci motor and they had to do a rebuild on that engine.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 1/17/2012 12:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GM did factory remans on engines sometime back (maybe they still do IDK) and comparatively they were less than a new crate engine. This looks like kind of the same idea. Have no idea what a new factory 103 would run, but I can guess it would be substantially more than the remans are. Doubt they'd be any more reliable or longer lived eitherlol Oops, outside voice againblush lol

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 1/17/2012 2:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The term "rebuild" is so freakin vague, it really means nothing.

If it was done right, the labor cost would send the price tag higher than a new engine...because a new engine produced on a production line, is the most efficient way it's going to be done.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

jclax01

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 1/17/2012 4:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think the price tag would depend on how much you can salvage out of the old engine honestly. I agree with lou that if they had to redo some the work outside of the confines of the automated processes, you would be looking at a much higher cost.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88

mrmarklin
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2011
Total Posts : 299

Posted 1/17/2012 9:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think you only do this when your engine is shot.  Current Harley motors will run 100K or more.  That's whyu only recently the newer ones became part of the program.  One would have to balance the cost of this vs a new motor.  So I assume it's cheaper.

I'm sure that some are beyond repair too.

2008 Harley-Davidson Crossbones

[IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/mrmarklin/motorcyclepic-1.jpg[/IMG]

jclax01

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 1/18/2012 8:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know at least 3 guys who would TOTALLY disagree with you. all of them have brand new harleys and all of them have engine issues. one of them has the new 110 ci cvo motor. I do not think they have worked the bugs out of that engine.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88

MDGeorge
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 856

Posted 1/18/2012 9:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
JClax, you just need to go get you a Harley. freakedThat is the only way you will ever settle your anger.

jclax01

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 1/18/2012 9:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MDGeorge said...
JClax, you just need to go get you a Harley. freakedThat is the only way you will ever settle your anger.

lol lol lol lol lol

I am looking at the Kaw Vaquero and a couple of victory models. I also like the yam roadstar....Im good on the harleys MD.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 1/18/2012 10:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jclax01 said...
I think the price tag would depend on how much you can salvage out of the old engine honestly. I agree with lou that if they had to redo some the work outside of the confines of the automated processes, you would be looking at a much higher cost.

The thing about "how much you can salvage"  involves inspection that borders on insane...A facility where precision  fixtures and instruments and Metal testing is done.  This isn't heard of in Garages and shops.

Mechanics don't have exposure to this..what they see is crude.

So it's a question of does a customer that also doesn't know, accept the work of a crude source..or insanely expensive source, or a Manufacturer of new engines like S&S?

S&S produces super fine engines, because they have the process developed, and that allows a very low price for what the customer gets....And that's also why S&S is the engine of choice for so many builders.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/18/2012 10:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I could understand the effort and cost if the process was to freshen the engine to updated facotry specs, AND if HD flowed the heads and blueprinted the engine. That would produce a better running, smoother, more reliable and powerful engine wirth the bucks spent to have in a special bike.

This is just a facotry rebuilt engine program.

I'll just keep enjoying my 94 BMW R1100RS (makes 80 hp at the rear wheel by the way) past the 164,000 on it right now. Oh, and I have not had any reason to open up the engine. Still fires right up, idles evenly right way, and has good useable power.

But I am looking forward to riding the Victory products we now have at Nick's BMW/Victory just south of Green Bay. June 5 & 6 the Victory facotry demo semi will be there for two days of demo rides and I'm the lead demo rider so I'll get to ride everything from the Vision to the Highball. Should be interesting.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 1/18/2012 11:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How many used Metric Cruisers, still running just fine, can you buy for the cost of having your engine pulled, Remanufactured, shipped and reinstalled by your local H.D. dealer? I just bought an 81 Yamaha with plenty of life for a pittance. I guess I just don't get it.

jclax01

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 1/18/2012 11:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You dont get it KZ because you actually like to ride your motorcycles. Not all, but a lot of folks with all different kinds of brands prefer to sit at the bar posted up and show off their shiny new toys. I know a few people with bikes that have less than 5000 miles on them wanting to trade in for a newer bike. crazy. we had upper 60's this past holiday weekend and a lot of bikes were sitting in the garages because people did not want to get their bikes dirty (the week before we had snow and there is a lot of salt left on the road).

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/18/2012 1:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry to say this, but really jclax your last post is also fitting with modern bikes made in JPN.  Tack on the HD bikes that rarely leave the garage more then twice in a year for a short run.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 1/18/2012 4:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah I gotta say it is down to the rider clax. I think every department in motorcycling has a sect of folks more interested in being/looking cool at bars.  
 That said, honestly, a brilliant idea. Why shouldnt they do this? I mean they already duped these folks outta hard eaned wedge. Why not have a motor rebuild from them too. They will make good cheese outta it. Soon, you will be able to ride to the factory, take a tour, and watch your motor get "refreshed" hahaha lol best term ever.  I agree with MD, go buy one. Prove how bad they are, so we dont have to listen to the endless, waxing on of tales of acceptable flaws on a two person pirate ship, anymore... lmao. 

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/18/2012 4:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Sid, they are different form of m/c riders compared to many of us.  I do not like someone even taking a photo of my m/c.  Though I will not complain for there are two of them & one was a foreman at a plant I worked, worked on HD bikes I like the upgrading of the Honda 954 over the 939.  So really that is a different matter. 

Besides this is usually part way back from the turn around point of some 5 to 7+ hrs of riding.  He is a keen HD man but then so are his visitors.  Like one had his punched out to the limit & changed over to six speeds & claimed he should have done that many yrs ago no matter what the cost, but there was a HD rider that had been riding for many yrs.  For his lingo to me was that from another welder or had worked in plants like I did so we varied on many points or riding to also work.

jclax01

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 1/19/2012 12:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I gotta disagree with the no photos of the bike smitty. Take all the pictures you want to take. That mentality may come from the FACT that I am this incrediably handsome stud muffin (according to the wife) lol

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/23/2012 1:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

No wife or woman in my house, so we are a bit different.  YET you may not believe this but I was a male MODEL.  Basically because of our sport shop & there was a way to see what some shops handle PLUS models & before or after the buyers could visit our booths, but the models were something different.  This is I ACTUALLY did it on two occasions & always different gear for me, to crampoons, pitons Carbineers, & you name it while knickers were corduray.

I picked teeners or 20 yr old males or females with ski equipment AND yes they were top notch skiers in this area, while the Pro Models knew beans all about skiing.

Still who would wear the mountain climbing gear of German wool knickers, made in Norway hand nitted socks, good sweater from Germany to Swiss made jacket, my Swiss made climbing boots, ice axe to rope slung over my shoulder.  IT WAS SO DIFFERENT, for we were the only sport shop that brought in such mountaineering gear.  I feel I also wore a Swiss hiking or climbing hat & one of my g/fs just had to start wearing that very one.

We won those two years & finally the opposition would not supply a booth or models as those young 'uns & this old fart was a continual winner.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/23/2012 8:29:17 PM GMT