Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > Chopping a BMW  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 1/18/2012 5:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One of the Harley riders at work was thinking about buying a BMW and chopping it. Right off the bat I ask him why? Told him that it would be the worst choice ever. The Beemer riders would hate you, the metric riders would hate you, the fraction/metric riders would despise you. He want's a chopper that will handle, with some grunt, and travel long distance with good comfort. Also it must look cool. Any suggestions? 

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 1/18/2012 6:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, if you can get rid of the chopper part of the equation, yeah tons. If not, then no. A chop, isnt a handler, or very comfortable. I say let him at it. It hasnt been done yet.

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/19/2012 7:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
He wants a chopper that will handle? Umm,....isn't that an oxymoron to begin with?

If he is thiking about using a typical current BMW flat twin with the Telelever front end he'll have numerous challenges if he thinks he can rake out the front end, or extend the fork legs. The Telelever front end is a LOT more different than a typical front fork although they look very similar. There is very little "chassis" or frame on the current BMW's with Telelever front ends because the engine/crankcase is actually a major chassis component. You just don't go modifying the front end and hope the higher chassis loads imposed on the engine cases will take it. Front end geometry of the Telelever is not condusive to the typical goals of raking/extending a front end.

Now, if he plans to use an older (pre-94) air colled BMW twin then he is working with a typical telescopic front end. I have seen BMW choppers on the NET and some look "ok", and may even handle much better than the typical chopper. The engine, drivetrain and chassis reliability would certainly be there. But also, if he has thoughts of lumbering down the road Harley style of 2500 rpm at 70mph, that aint gonna happen. An air cooled BMW at 70mph would be turning over 4,000 rpm, so the bike feel is entriely different that that of a typical Harley.

Maybe he should just buy a BMW R1200C model (the BMW cruiser) and modify it to make it a long distance cruiser, but it aint a chopper either. As to the attitude of others to his bike choice, I say screw it, and ride what you like! It wouldn't be anything that I'd want to ride, but it's his butt on the bike, not mine.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 1/19/2012 7:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ZX Rider said...
One of the Harley riders at work was thinking about buying a BMW and chopping it.

rolleyes   Tell him to stop huffing paint thinner.  Stage an intervention if you have to. 

Martin

Englewood, CO (Denver suburb)

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

Previous Bikes:  '69 Honda CL450; '74 Honda CB750; '83 Honda 550 Nighthawk; '92 Yamaha Virago 1100; '83 Yamaha Maxim 750; '84 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD; '01 Triumph Thunderbird 900; '82 Kawasaki Spectre 750

Racer1
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 2119

Posted 1/19/2012 8:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A Boxer twin chopper?

This has the potential to be the fugliest thing on two wheels - I say let him at it... there's a thin line between madness and genius and if he can pull this craziness off I'll personally buy the man a drink!

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/19/2012 10:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I definately go along with Racer 1.  What sort of brain does this fool have, if any?

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 1/19/2012 12:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The thing about a chopper is that they take off all of the unnecessary weight that they can. so the little ugly BMW suddenly takes its "clothes" off ???? Naw thats not a good look in if I am just seeing it in my head.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

jhawk
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 204

Posted 1/19/2012 3:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jclax01 said...
The thing about a chopper is that they take off all of the unnecessary weight that they can. so the little ugly BMW suddenly takes its "clothes" off ???? Naw thats not a good look in if I am just seeing it in my head.

Not only would it be ugly, it'd be damn hard and stupid to do. Most BMW don't carry much, if any "unnesessary weight" so there's not a lot there to chop in the first place. On the un-faired R-series, about all that could be chopped is the passenger seat/tail section, front fender and gages - none of which makes sense to remove; and do not weigh much either. The motor is integral with the frame; the front and rear suspension are bolted directly to it. A BMW chopper would have to be based on one of the older tube frame models. The guy could start with a $15K to $20K classic and wind up with a $2K chopper.

“I generally avoid temptation... unless I can't resist it.”

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 1/19/2012 5:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
He got his arse kicked by a Honda Fury/furry, what ever, packing double last year. He likes the look of the Fury but can't go rice. I told him about the inline six touring bike BMW, said It had too much power. I suggested that he buy an S/S motor as a drop in. Too pricey, How about a NOS shot of 50 hp+?. You just need a broom to pick up the parts. He is going to the grey side, dead set for a Beemer.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Post Edited (ZX Rider) : 1/20/2012 1:05:24 AM GMT

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/19/2012 6:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A good running Airhead (air-cooled) Beemer 1000cc makes about 60hp, comparable with a HD, but no were near the torque. A Beemer has to be spinning faster to make the power. The Airhead engine is not integral to the frame, so the bike has a traditional frame which can be modified if that is his plan.

A good running Oilhead (the newer oil/air cooled) Beemer makes anywhere from 60hp for the R1200C, all the way up to 110hp for the R1200R, with good torque. An older R1100R makes about 90hp, and the R1150R makes about 100hp. But none of them are good bikes to chop because the engine is basically the major part of the frame, and all those Oilheads feature the Telelever front end which is not a good idea to mess with.

An Airhead or Oilhead Beemer actually has more load carrying capacity than most any Harley, even though the BMW weighs 200 to 300 pounds less than a typical big twin Harley.

But if he wants something like a BMW cruiser with some decent power, then instead of messing with the bike and frame, just get an R1200C (that's the cruiser model) and see what he can do to get higher power out of it (like a turbo maybe). But the R1200C is limited by its single throttle body intake system and twin exhaust, compared to the other Oilhead having two throttle bodies and much better breathing. Also, the R1200C rear driveshaft design limited the power it can handle.

Nitrous on a BMW may actually work for intermittent duty, the bottom end on those Oilheads is pretty robust.

Sounds to me he'd be better off to stick with a Harley and just get a S&S motor for it. Or change brands to a Victory.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Hellfighter
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 201

Posted 1/20/2012 11:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Yeah....... nuhhh

On Iron Horse He Gladly Dies

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 1/21/2012 4:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
my god is that ugly.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/21/2012 10:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I did not think we would see such a piece of crap, but there are two of them.  I am about to puke!!!!!!!

Agree with you jclax for those are ghastly to say the least.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.