Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > at least it's not ridiculously priced like the *dn-01*(correction)...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 1/20/2012 4:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
and weighs less and looks better too. 2012 honda nc700x priced at $6,999 so the actual purchase price should be closer to $5k since it's one of the big 4 brands' model:

powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x/specifications.aspx

Post Edited (jon) : 1/22/2012 8:06:00 AM GMT

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 1/20/2012 4:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I like it! If I had a little extra coin, and didn't have the Nighthawk as a lightweight, all-around streeter, I'd be knocking on the dealer's door. I'm glad to see Honda rolling out a bike like this.

I just hope it sells. Naked standards don't seem last too long in the U.S. ER6N?

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R & 750 Nighthawk

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 1/20/2012 5:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice!
Finally Honda has woken up and made a nice bike at a nice price.

Only thing that sucks is the passenger seat covers the fuel cap. So if you have anything attached to the seat - as you may if you are going on a trip - you need to unpack and repack that.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 1/21/2012 2:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I saw one of these at a show last year. I didn't pay it much attention, and I should have done as I now understand it gives outstandingly good gas mileage. That's something I feel strongly about as most bikes are shamefully poor in this regard.

Edit. Funny enough, the link doesn't give the gas consumption but the UK Honda site gives a figure of 78mpg (imperial). I dare say that this figure won't be achieved in the real world but it's still pretty good. I would have thought that 78mpg would be an excellent selling point, even in the USA.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Post Edited (Richard47) : 1/21/2012 9:43:07 AM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 1/21/2012 11:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Seems like an excellent commuter bike at a reasonable price.

Belt drive would have been perfect for this bike.

My F800ST, with far more power, and also a parallel twin, never gets less than 52mpg so I could see this thing easily getting 60+ mpg.

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 1/21/2012 2:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hope these do better than the 600F did sales wise. Unfortunately Honda Canada hasn't relesed our pricing or availability/release dates yet (surprise...NOT!). The luggage will be an accessory purchase though, and in typical Honda-speak will likely be very pricey, much like the VFR luggage is. Fair marks for stepping out with these two models though.

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 1/21/2012 2:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
At least it does come with some significant standard storage.

www.motorcycle-usa.com/624/12044/Motorcycle-Article/2012-Honda-NC700X-First-Look.aspx

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 1/21/2012 2:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I agree, Jon. I took a hard look at the NT700V when I was shopping, mainly because of the integrated luggage, but it didn't make the cut beause the fit and finish was lacking on this machine and the luggage was basically junk. So It's a bit disappointing to hear that the luggage is an accessory on this machine, among many other things. My feeling is that the "base price" is kind of deceiving because not many would be satisfied with the bike in just it's "stock" configuration. At least I wouldn't. All of the things that would make the machine more serviceable to a rider are all options! SO this means that a "7,000 dollar, competitively priced bike" now becomes a 10K-plus machine after getting the things I need to make it do what I need it to do, even as a second bike.

Don't get me wrong, I do like it a lot, but I don't like the back door boogey they are attempting with the accessories, which are all most likely horribly over-priced.   

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 1/22/2012 1:07 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
oops, meant to say dn-01 on the subject...

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 1/22/2012 2:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...

. My feeling is that the "base price" is kind of deceiving because not many would be satisfied with the bike in just it's "stock" configuration.

Well, I would. I have no use at all for luggage of any kind, apart from a tank bag. Fitting luggage would make the bike unappealing to me. If I have a load of stuff to carry I'll take the car. Even, many years ago, when we used to take camping holidays on our bike, I didn't have any hard luggage.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

kamo
1100 Honda saber

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 2061

Posted 1/22/2012 10:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I guess the Versys 1000 is over kill.
 Engine: Liquid-cooled, DOHC 4-stroke Inline-four
Displacement: 1043cc
Bore/Stroke: 77 X 56mm
Compression Ratio: 10.3:1
Fueling: EFI 38mm Keihin throttle bodies
Ignition: Digital
Frame: Aluminum twin-tube
Rake/Trail: 27-degrees/4.2 in.
Clutch: Wet multi-disc
Transmission: 6-speed
Final Drive: Chain
Wheel Travel – Front: 5.9 in. Rear: 5.9 in.
Tire – Front: 120/70ZR17
Rear: 180/55ZR17
Suspension - Front: 43mm inverted fork
Rear: Horizonal back-link, gas-charged shock
Brakes – Front: Dual semi-floating 300mm petal discs w/ dual opposed 4-piston calipers
Back: Single 250mm petal disc w/single-piston caliper
Wheelbase: 59.84 in.
Seat Height: 33.27 in.
Fuel Capacity: 5.5 gal.
Weight (claimed curb wt.): 526.9 lb.

Kamo 07 1100 Honda Saber Candy Black Cherry. East Alabama If you need a smile, just turn the key and ride!

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Kawasaki_Versys_1000.jpg
  16KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 349 time(s).

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 1/22/2012 10:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, the Versys 1000 is stunning overkill for a commuter bike aimed primarily at the European market where gas is twice the price that it is here.

The new Honda is simple basic transportation and should do very well in Europe; will be interesting to see if it lasts more than two years in the US.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 1/22/2012 1:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is a really nice-looking bike.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 1/23/2012 12:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
and weighs less and looks better too. 2012 honda nc700x priced at $6,999 so the actual purchase price should be closer to $5k..
Not gonna happen.  This bike is worth the asking price.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 1/23/2012 9:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
jon said...

and weighs less and looks better too. 2012 honda nc700x priced at $6,999 so the actual purchase price should be closer to $5k..
Not gonna happen. This bike is worth the asking price.

agree that this bike is worth the asking price as with most big 4 brand bikes and some buyers will be more than happy to pay full msrp for it as other buyers have done with other models in the past. however, once this bike starts to show up at showrooms in the next few months in good number, i can see the $6,999 msrp being discounted to the $5k range. the great discounts that big 4 brand dealerships offer have been around for many years so i can't fathom any changes this year. the dealerships should still continue to compete. i could see the price in the high $5k range in the spring then slowly decreases as the year progress as with their other models of the past.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 1/23/2012 10:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
looks like the nc700x won't hit the dealerhips until summer:

cyclenews.com/articles/new-bikes/2012/01/19/first-look-2012-honda-nc700x/