Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > TO ALL: "What kind of club...?"  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
92 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4 
[ | Show Newest Post First ]

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 2/11/2004 8:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
(I posted this previously, but I think it bears repeating; as well as a thread of it's own.)

Please let us remember that people don't always come here for the benefit of the club; but we should try to accept them, and encourage them as members, and to be upstanding and worthy members, so that they shall become so.

If we start picking at their scabs the moment they walk in the door, they will all just walk right out again, including the shy ones that have never made a single post before deciding that they wouldn't suffer the same treatment we gave some poor newbie whose crime was to rant about a rip-off job.

Some guy who obviously KNOWS he's hawking commercial business on a free forum?
BUST HIS CHOPS!

But some little guy who just comes in here to rant a bit, or promote his views on kickstand lubricants is really a protected species here: a prospective member.

This is not the One-Percenter's Club USA. We don't ride the prospects until the weak ones drop out in shame. We try to give newbies a hand up the ladder here, and without making them feel like big dummies in the process.

Or am I all wet here? What kind of organization do we really want???

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Puppy
"ugly" is a form of birthcontrol.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 6047

Posted 2/11/2004 10:04 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm with ya Cadd.

I guess over the years we have sorta forgotten that we were all new to the board and motorcycling once ourselves.

I missed the thread you are refering too, I'll have to go and read it, find those responsible and give it proper to their old ladies ...

ANYONE GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?

-Richard.

Please don't patronize me. I KNOW what a submarine looks like.

Vrocker
96' Vulcan Classic 1500

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 296

Posted 2/11/2004 10:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bingo Cadd,
I've been on here for about 7 months I think and I remember posting the first time. After reading some of the discussions just to get an idea of who posts here and what their viewpoints are on certain things I'd have to say I felt fairly comfortable posting. But I also realized that you're not going to find a forum where everyone agrees 100% with your views and morals and everyone's a gentleman (sorry lionlady - "gentleperson"). But you should be able to post your "opinion" without fear of getting hammered.

Rabbit was, at best, frustrated and needed to vent. Why not do it where it's liable to help someone.

"For their rock is not like our Rock ..." Deut 32:31

LisaZ
Titainium Ass, Super biker Chick

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 1382

Posted 2/11/2004 10:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I must agree with Cadd....we need to promote the new posters here. Just because someone's first post is a rant of some sort doesn't mean any of us should jump all over him/her for not saying "hi" first. That kind of attitude breeds exclusivity and scares people off. Who cares if they didn't say hi first....maybe they didn't feel like it.

Let me tell you what its like to be a freak...

Big Daddy Omar
Turd Scraper of Doom!

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 9962

Posted 2/11/2004 11:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree...but!
What I kinda get tired of is the new person who posts "hi....I ride a.....I like this site......"
stuff. Then everyone responds with kind words of welcome. What frustrates the piss out of me, is that these people never respond back. So its either we are too nice, or too mean.

Now Rabbit,in my book had a legitimate and relevant rant. Then SD accuses him of spamming. Now what do we do when the "vets" of this board cant distinguish the difference between a legitimate post and spamming?

"You'll experience these accidents in true ELDERLY VISION"

LisaZ
Titainium Ass, Super biker Chick

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 1382

Posted 2/11/2004 11:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Maybe they're just testing the waters, or something comes up, or they become disinterested, or they get shut out of the site by the IT admin and they don't have a computer at home....who knows. Even though its frustrating, the welcoming of new members should continue....

Let me tell you what its like to be a freak...

Big Daddy Omar
Turd Scraper of Doom!

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/11/2004 11:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not welcoming anybody til I see a second post from the original poster. After a while its like talking to an imaginary friend.

Johnny Monsoon
'99 Honda Blackbird

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 7880

Posted 2/11/2004 11:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cadd- I have to disagree; strongly. Yes, I think it's very important to encourage members here. However, if you come here just to hawk a ware , that degrades the overall community we've developed (or at least lends nothing to the climate we've established). It is very easy to see, every time someone walks into the newbies (or any other section here), gives a 'howdy' and makes a few posts to at least know their audience, they get a big WELCOME, and lots of interest.

Why, then, should we bend over backwards to folks who come here who haven't even bothered to sample this audience to pitch a ware? They obviously do not care for the community or climate we've worked hard to establish here- and further, I think I can safely say this is the best messaging board I've ever found; the most friendly, caring, and certainly most generous. Sorry if I seem a bit selective with what I consider to be a 'member' here (that's my right) but I think I've given enough of myself, and that we've all given a lot to eachother to simply let it be overrun with spam, boasts, challenges, or bashes.

Every 'prospective' member who comes here and politely introduces themselves is very quickly accepted; and we eagerly ping our new 'members' for details about themselves - most often so we can learn from thier experiences.

This community has been based on developing relationships with eachother (of whatever capacity) on respect. I know that might seem a bit odd to say if you're reading through the War Room, but I think it's still pretty amazing that some of our 'least wanted' folks still manage to be read, and actively participate in this forum on a regular basis. So, with that, I don't believe I should be so happy about folks just popping up here, making obnoxious posts about things that have zero impact on this community (and the poster obviously hasn't taken any time to even decide if this is an appropriate place to post).

Sorry, that's my two cents.

Johnny Monsoon
Jam harder, penetrate deeper, dispense longer...

Post Edited (Johnny Monsoon) : 2/11/2004 6:20:53 PM GMT

Puppy

Date Joined Mar 2003

Gently remind them to use their "good manners" Omar.

Usually spammers dont bother to reply, they have "cut and paste" that they go message board to message board with in order to promote whatever service or product they are selling.

They dont sit and chat with folks, that's counter productive.

This was obviously a misunderstanding between a new member's warning rant about being rip'd-off and some senior member/s that had seen the warning post on another board/boards.

-Richard.

Big Daddy Omar
Turd Scraper of Doom!

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/11/2004 11:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Whether or not it was seen on another board is irrelevent. Rabbit was posting a possible scam on e-bay, a scam involving motorcycles. He did not solicit for money, he didnt have links that directed anyone to discount cigarettes etc. Its no different than posting a news story from another website, which WE have all done.

archimoto
2001 B12

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1461

Posted 2/11/2004 11:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i hate it when we fight, but i love it when we make up

i'll ride anything that moves! ... ummm ... *scratching head*

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 2/11/2004 12:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Johnny Monsoon said...
Cadd- I have to disagree; ... if you come here just to hawk a ware , that degrades the overall community...Why, then, should we bend over backwards to folks who come here who haven't even bothered to sample this audience to pitch a ware?

As I recall my position on this was "BUST HIS CHOPS!"

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Johnny Monsoon
'99 Honda Blackbird

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/11/2004 1:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I wasn't referring to Rabbit- in fact, the only post I made in the E-bay thread was a statement "I'm with Rabbit...". Rabbit is cool in my book, because he was burned by a seller on E-bay, and didn't get any satisfaction from E-bay, then decided to hit the motorcycle communities to ensure it didn't happen to any of us. I don't know how SD got spam out of that, since I'd always definied Spam as trying to sell a product or service, and/or intent on gaining some monetary enhancement from the post (and in this case was doing exactly the opposite).

I made an assumption, initially, this was in reference to the big 'A'.

Johnny Monsoon

TwinCam
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 701

Posted 2/11/2004 1:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for repeating it Cadd.

WWW.LifeandMotorcycles.com

Big Daddy Omar
Turd Scraper of Doom!

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/11/2004 1:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So is SD's constant cut and paste (example above) from other websites or threads SPAM????????

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 2/11/2004 1:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For my perspective on "club", I have very different response to different people. If it is newbie to the sport, and new to this site, and seeking helpful guidance, and exercising thoughtful processing of what is offered, I'm as helpful and supportive as I can be (I'll use mmmbarley as an example there). If the Newbie in question is pre-whacko-educated, and wants to know which fastest bike he can get is, I'll respond a bit different. If an established member of the site, gives bogus info to the rest of the site, and that will be a bunch of people that don't have the experience for themselves to know what bogus is yet, I'll be all over that person, that is misleading the site members. But if the info is right (and there is room for different degrees of right) I'll naturally have a different response. And I make that distinction, because the health of the site, depends on correct info. The alternative, is a wanker convention, and the loss of knowledgeable members that can't hack the depth of the crap. If someone is selling something, and it heads half the subject divisions on the page, I'm pi$$ed, if it was just one post on product review, that would be something else, If someone posts on the war room, and it is pure filth garbage mouth, I don't want to see it, to find I don't want to see it. So, bottom line, I think we all need to be mindfull (it's plain we are in most all cases), that to have this site, we need to police it, to keep it a nice place to visit, and draw in fresh blood to the sport, to refresh the pool, without that the best of sites would die, pretty fast.

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 2/11/2004 2:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Big Daddy Omar said...
I agree...but!
What I kinda get tired of is the new person who posts "hi....I ride a.....I like this site......"
stuff. Then everyone responds with kind words of welcome. What frustrates the piss out of me, is that these people never respond back. So its either we are too nice, or too mean.
Yeah, it does seem kind of rude for a new visitor to ignore the welcomes, HOWEVER, it may be that, like Einstein who didn't speak until he was 5 said at the time: "Up until now, everything has been fine." They don't have a question to ask and are content to 'lurk' as we say over on those 'women's message forums.'

Therefore, we definitely ought to go ahead and welcome all newcomers - perhaps not everyone needs to type a personal note, but those so inclined should do so for sure.

OKay, enough said.

Well behaved women rarely make history.

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 2/11/2004 2:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm gonna add another thing regarding ya'lls treatment of newbies. You were a bit tough on ME when I first appeared here. BUT, I had been visiting this board over guitardads shoulder for several months so I had been 'vaccinated' against your abuse (even knew a bunch of your screennames) and therefore I didn't turn tail and leave (as I might have), I took the offensive.

Now how boring would mcusa be today if I had gone away mad?

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Puppy

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/11/2004 2:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MC-USA's forums are in my opinion the finest group of folks on the net PERIOD.

We have insano's, wacko's, perverts and freaks, we have eggheads, pinheads and geeks.

But we all have at least ONE thing in common ... motorcycles.

Sure there might be an established "core" of personalities that've been around a long time and sometimes that "core" can overlook a "new face" in a discussion but I think overall we here at MC-USA's forums usually do a pretty good job of welcoming new folks.

I'd hate to see that change.

-Richard.

archimoto
2001 B12

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1461

Posted 2/11/2004 2:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
on behalf of the wanker contingent, i'd like to support puppy's claim that the folks here do a pretty good job of welcoming new folks. Now can't we get back to talking about motorcycles and fighting over dubbya in the war room?

by the way, Puppy did apply to join the wanker contingent. Unfortunately his application was rejected on the basis that his IQ is over 100 and therefore does not meet the double digit IQ requisite.

i'll ride anything that moves! ... ummm ... *scratching head*

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 2/11/2004 2:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Big Daddy Omar said...
I agree...but!
Or, it's not us at all, but them. Yeah, you're gonna get that anywhere. Window shoppers and lollygaggers.

The worst thing is when they post something like "My '72 Buzzazookie won't start." And 6 of us each spend the time to ask questions, get specs and symptoms, and suggest cures; and the rotten bugger never posts another word.

So take heed Newbies! We're not all roses and chocolate kisses! If that dang Buzzazookie actually starts WE WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT!

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Big Daddy Omar
Turd Scraper of Doom!

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/11/2004 3:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
EXACTLY!
Ask Motoman is the worst example. At least acknowledge the folks that gave you the information, for good or bad, everyone is trying to help.

Hey Cadd...
Send me your cell# again,in a PM. I accidentally deleted my inbox stuff so I need it that is if everything is still on for the 15th?

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 2/11/2004 3:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Johnny Monsoon said...
I wasn't referring to Rabbit- in fact, the only post I made in the E-bay thread was a statement "I'm with Rabbit...". Rabbit is cool in my book, because he was burned by a seller on E-bay, and didn't get any satisfaction from E-bay, then decided to hit the motorcycle communities to ensure it didn't happen to any of us. I don't know how SD got spam out of that, since I'd always definied Spam as trying to sell a product or service, and/or intent on gaining some monetary enhancement from the post (and in this case was doing exactly the opposite).

I made an assumption, initially, this was in reference to the big 'A'.
Yeah, I know that, buddy. And I wasn't implying that you meant anything about rabbit either. At least, I wasn't trying to.  redface

I wasn't thrilled about the way Oakie Al made his way into our parlor and tracked mud on the rug. But I figured it could be mopped up without too much trouble. And he wasn't selling chrome-plated cup holders or timeshare condos in Jersey: he was selling himself.

Even that I normally object to, but I found him sorta new and different, and ultimately very intelligent. I wish he'd stayed, and just sanded off some of the rough burrs.

Now that guy selling books...Geeesch! What nerve to come in here and....Oh, wait...errr...uuuhh....I bought one of those didn't I! rolleyes

I wonder what happened to it? Hey TwinCam!  Do they ship those things by camel from Timbuktu, or what?  ;-)

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

guitardad
Original Oilhead

Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 1741

Posted 2/11/2004 4:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My observations.....

I think a lot of it comes down to the on-line personality each of us projects - or chooses to project.  Internet boards like this can be a place to experiment with, um, rolleyes  Alternative Personalities. rolleyes  Someone who comes in loud, or talking about themselves instead of asking about us, tends to be answered loud in turn.  I've seen people come in quiet, asking reasonable questions, getting reasonable answers, and gradually feeling at home here. Personally, coming in through the Newbie board seemed a little less traumatic - I think we expect people to be a little less aggressive there, and respond in kind.

On Bluepoof's links page, she describes us as "like hanging out in a bar with your crazy friends."  If you walk into a bar, unknown to anyone there, and start shouting about yourself, what kind of response would you get?  I tend to ignore someone like that, while others would yell back - and that's what I've observed happening.

What I like about MCUSA is the lack of yelling at each other.   But if someone invites it, I don't feel bad about sitting back and watching the fireworks. lol

Guitardad
'78 KZ400 - Stop counting and ride!

Johnny Monsoon
'99 Honda Blackbird

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 2/11/2004 4:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
SHUT UP GUITARDAD! YOU SUCK! Errrrr, hold on a sec... turn

The people here are awesome- I think we all bring something to this mix; visiting here is easily one of my favorite things to do (online anyway).  I love when new folks drop in, and become integrated into our family- like Candice, Lion Lady, Skurred (where is that scamp?)...  Just a very cool thing.

Johnny Monsoon

Post Edited (Johnny Monsoon) : 2/11/2004 11:53:40 PM GMT