Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > TO ALL: "What kind of club...?"  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
92 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4 
[ | Show Newest Post First ]

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 3/22/2004 12:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's it exactly... the kids don't want to hear sound advice, they want to hear that getting the latest and greatest as a starter bike is somehow 'OK'.

Most anyway. There are a few that actually pay attention when you tell them to start out smaller. It's those few that keep you going when it seems that no one really cares about 'newbie' advice...

And yes, we do have a good Newbie forum here, and it's all due to you guys keeping on the ball and answering questions... golf claps all around.

I like eclectic strange music almost as much as I like bikes

Law Dawg
Penitent rider.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 1577

Posted 10/15/2004 4:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am a fargin new guy here but have 30+ years of street riding under my belt. One thing I have noticed here is a decided closed loop attitude. The welcome to the site seems hit and miss at best. There is normally a warm up time on most sites, as some posters are just one or two timers. I expect to have to earn my replies but a howdy to the newbs with more than two posts could not hurt.
My .02 for what it's worth(prolly not worth that much).

03 R1150GS
B-Town, Left Coast

Post Edited (Law Dawg) : 10/15/2004 11:24:26 PM GMT

Mac_Muz
Steering Committee

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 10321

Posted 10/16/2004 8:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Welcome then..... with 18 posts we miss a guy at times... If you truely want a notice post a thread say HI YA, and we will jump right on it...

Typically that is about you and what yer ride is.... We are a family where info can be had in a few moments time so long as you and yer ride are something someone knows about.. Chances are someone does...

The war room is not a good place for a new guy here to be untill he gets to be known.. That is because we draw trolls to that room the most often.. Trolls like it there, and most of them have never had a bike or even want one... Trolls only want one thing and that is to be taken note of and mess around.. Typical wouldn't you say?

Anyway WELCOME HERE.... I think you will enjoy your time around here... Mac

When all else fails read the instructions...

Law Dawg
Penitent rider.

Date Joined Oct 2004

Posted 10/16/2004 2:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Howdy right back at ya and thanks. A troll, who does not ride, can be found out rather quickly with a few simple questions. His track is very easy to follow as well. He/she will normally start out with a barn burner like "Why are Republicans/Democrats so stupid?" Then they never answer direct questions but cut and paste with attack invective.

BTW I ride a BMW R1150GS, had an 76 R90/6 until April of last year. I finally murdered it, had to so my bride would allow me to get a new one! I've been riding street since about 1970. My street bikes have ranged from Honda 350 to the new GS. I ride almost daily as the GS is a commute bike as well. I really don't care for flame wars and tend to avoid them. Hope this puts any thoughts about troll status into the troll dumpster.  

03 R1150GS
B-Town, Left Coast

Post Edited (Law Dawg) : 10/16/2004 10:35:19 PM GMT

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 10/17/2004 9:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey, LawDawg, and welcome to MC-USA.

Yes, it is hit and miss. Face it: this is all volunteer work. Sometimes we get tied up with work and family etc. and the welcome wagon doesn't get around as regularly as it should.

If you check the member's list, you'll see that we get a lot of folks here that never post, or only have a few posts to their name, so to have over 30 posts already puts you in like the top 10% right off.

Anyhow I've read a few of your posts, and nobody figured you for a troll from those.

I'd advise you to get a cooler user title though. "Thread Killer" seems kinda defeatest. Unless it's true, then go post on the threads written by FireStarter, and perhaps they will die. (He's one of our erstwhile trolls...)

Cadd
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Law Dawg
Penitent rider.

Date Joined Oct 2004

Posted 10/17/2004 12:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddmannQ said...
Hey, LawDawg, and welcome to MC-USA.

I'd advise you to get a cooler user title though. "Thread Killer" seems kinda defeatest. Unless it's true, then go post on the threads written by FireStarter, and perhaps they will die. (He's one of our erstwhile trolls...)
Thanks, Caddmann! I'll change the user title slightly.smilewinkgrin
My approach with trolls is to ignore them to death...well maybe a quip from time to time (preaching to the choir). Bait drowns if left in the water long enough.

03 R1150GS
B-Town, Left Coast

Canuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 243

Posted 10/24/2004 7:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very humble canuck here...sorry if I came on like a wanker but I am very new to any of forum having never read into a chat room in my life. I did try to push a book before I knew that there was a more appropriate place to try and get rid of it. So maybe I'm the one that you are referring to?? In any case I read the chat every night and am learning some things for sure. I live in the northeast so you have got to cut me some slack for that. ( I let my job move me there/here). This area of the world seems to bring out other then the best in some people. In anycase I used to ride, about a hundred years ago, alot for about 11 years. Went thru 7 bikes and loved them. Then, due to a really super marriage in almost every respect, was totally away from them for a long time (35 years) and am now riding almost daily, and usually about 200 miles when I do. Ride a 1200S and can't get over how much "grunt" that bike has. Have ordered a busa. Should be in this winter. Been told that it is as comfortable a ride as one can find on a class of bike that really excites me. Want to take up old fart racing so if any of you have had any experience here in NE. re instruction in that I would love to know.
So again, I'm sorry if I sounded like the guy yelling in the bar. Will look forward to learning more as time goes on.
Canuck

Canuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 10/28/2004 6:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I guess I am a thread breaker, Oh Well...
As an old man once said, " I spent $1000.00 on deodrants before I realized that they just didn't like me anyway."
Canuck cry

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/29/2004 1:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, NOW you're post-whoring yourself.... stop it! :p

This Space For Rant.

Canuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 10/29/2004 6:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Deacon says "post-whoring"

I am so uneducated that I do not know what that means..
I had no idea that my last post went in 3 times.....sorry about that.... no desire to be a troll or to exhibit the goddawful signs...actually thought that it might be fun to join the club but I don't seem to be doing it right...Maybe the moderator can help me?
Canuck

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/30/2004 7:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No need. we all know that ther'es issues with the board right now. thus the smiley.

This Space For Rant.

harleylover
All exits lead to the next entrances

Date Joined Dec 2003
Total Posts : 127

Posted 3/3/2005 6:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"hi....I ride a.....I like this site......" (((LMAO)))...

Downshifter
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 10

Posted 3/12/2005 7:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Even though this s3eems to be a relatively old thread without much activity here for a bit, I would like to interject some on this topic.

First off, you guys have the right attitude about new people, and saying hi, which I would like to take this opportunity to do so. I was directed here by some friends for a specific purpose, but stuck around reading some. you are building a pretty nice community here, and even though I try not to spend too much time online, you may be seeing more of me in the near future.

Now for my observation on this topic. I would have said Hi sooner if I knew where to do so. Yes, you have a newbie section, and that is where I was first directed, but I am not a newbie, so did not feel like that was the place for me to say hi.

I knjow that technically, I could have picked any forum I wanted to say hi in, but then when you are talking about some of the shy onew, which I am not, then maybe they are having a problem with figuring out just where to go to say hi, and do not want to step on anyones toes in fear of being flamed out for it.

Now, I have not been totally through this site, and I may be wrong about this, but it is just my observation, and felt I should mention it...
Jim.....

Silversurfer
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 18

Posted 3/14/2005 5:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This was encouraging until I got the response I got.

Luke
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2004
Total Posts : 1080

Posted 3/14/2005 7:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Experienced riders may introduce themselves by posting a thread in General Chat.

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

bunchof6
Troll/Squid/Spambot

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4566

Posted 6/13/2005 9:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Honestly, I think the best way to get on in these boards is to just respond to threads before you post. Maybe 50 or so responses and people will realize that you are probably going to be around for a while, and listen to you a little closer.

Pretty much every board I have joined I have gone about it in this way, with good results.

Self introduction threads are all well and good, but I think jumping in and declaring your presence on the board is less productive (in terms of getting to know the regulars) than just reading and responding to existing threads.

Elemental Science Project

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 6/14/2005 7:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It seems rather often that new members join up here, post a few times, don't get a huge amount of attention, and then just seem to disappear. Look at the club roster and you'll see that there are thousands who have done that.

One of the keys here is quality over quantity, and that applies to members as well as posts.

It always takes a while to be accepted into a new group, and the folks who are successful are the ones who are persistant and patient. That's the real key to building a relationship here that will be recognized and appreciated.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500
VROC #11619 Rolling Blunder #128

Jay Mack
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 497

Posted 9/27/2005 10:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddmannQ said...
come here for the benefit of the club; ... members.. a prospective member.

...What kind of organization ... we...???

What club?  What organization?  What's this 'we' business?  Membership to what? You lost me.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 9/27/2005 6:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Umm, you registered when you came here, right?

That means you "joined" and you're a "member".

You don't have to call it a "club" if you don't want to.
I think of it that way.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500 "Baggins"

Duck Dodgers
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 5

Posted 11/7/2005 4:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, I'm new to this board and middle aged to the world. I've been trying to ride for 35 years. Mostly I keep having to refill my gas tank. I'm always satisfied with my present bike untill the enxt one comes along. As for feeling welcome. DILLIGAF! and to all you who are offended FOAD!

Duck Dodgers - Buell will rule the road in the 24th and 1/2 century!

Spanky
My Eyes Are Burning

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 3850

Posted 11/8/2005 8:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here is a post from a "Newbie" as you call us...... Yesterday I sat down at my computer & I had watched this website for some time & really had nothing much to say, so I thought I would mention (Advertise for the most part) a motorcycle item that I have & sell. I felt as though I was attacked right out the gate. (Rightfully so since all of us just agree to the computer B.S with out reading what is in the type of rules & what not) I had my round & round with Cadd & Lionlady & now it is over. All worked out & as far as I can see I see is a thing of the past & nothing to be held against either.

As I know they Moderate here daily & that is there job, but rather then blast someone right out the gate, why not warn them & say it is not cool & dont do it again??? In a nice way... You can still make someone feel welcome even though your telling them to not break the rules. It is easy to sit behind a computer & act as though your 10 foot tall & bullet proof, but it takes a real person (Especially on the net) to act like a human & not blast someone right out the gate for thier first offense.

Yesterday I thought screw this site, even though I thought I was right (& I was not entirely).... BUt I like this message board & thought I should just be cool & go with the flow. There is a ton of riding information here for everyone, all type of knowledge that can be shared with fellow riders from "Newbies" to "Vetrans". Trust me, I have learned from first time riders a lot of things, mostly, dont do what ever it was they just did.....LOL Being a vetran rider like myself, I encourage new riders to get out there & ride. Even though I am new here on this message board, I encourge the same for new people, get out there & post messages! Experiances, good or bad.. Look for information when you have bike troubles here. If no one else willhelp you, I will do the best that I can to do so.

With all that being said (& since it is starting to sound sentimental & sappy) just be cool! Go easy on the new guys, you were all once new too you know.....

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 11/8/2005 11:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Duck Dodgers said...
Hi, I'm new to this board and middle aged to the world. I've been trying to ride for 35 years. Mostly I keep having to refill my gas tank. I'm always satisfied with my present bike untill the enxt one comes along. As for feeling welcome. DILLIGAF! and to all you who are offended FOAD!
And you are a principal? A principal of what? A reform school? confused

It sounds like the little snots have really gotten to ya, Duck. rolleyes

Cadd

Top Dawg
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 1238

Posted 11/8/2005 11:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Duck Dodgers said "... I've been trying to ride for 35 years...."

I'm betting you'll get it right one of these days - just keep your feet close to the ground and go real slow so you don't fall over again...and practice, practice, practice!

lol lol lol

'03 VN1600 Classic "Shagger"
IBA #21119
SCCMal#10028
VROC #12939
S.O.M.A.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 11/8/2005 11:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
 Spanky said...I felt as though I was attacked right out the gate... rather then blast someone right out the gate, why not warn them & say it is not cool & dont do it again??? In a nice way...
Well, we were rather harsh, Spanky. blush

Most of that is due to the fact that we bust a lot of spammers and trolls here on a daily basis, and it gets to be a drag. Normally, I just delete the accounts of advertisers (spammers.) Had I seen your post before L.L. I would have just deleted it right off, and written you off as just another spammer that wanted to hawk stuff to our members for free.

So it turned into a bit of a dust-up and we all survived it, and it's not the first or last time this type of thing will ever happen.

I figure as long as you are reasonably cordial, you'll be welcomed here as a member. It will take a little time though, for people to get to accept you. It's the same with every organization. That doesn't mean that it can't be done nor that it's not worth the doing.

Remember that we were all newbies here once, and we made it through the hazing. It's really very mild here compared to some other boards I've been on. You'll survive it if you want to.

Cadd

Spanky
My Eyes Are Burning

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 3850

Posted 11/8/2005 1:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cadd,

I am still here. That must say something...

I get you & I understand.

Spanky