Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > General Motorcycle Chat > TO ALL: "What kind of club...?"  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
92 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4 
[ | Show Newest Post First ]

Adam Roadstar
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 46

Posted 11/17/2005 4:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
LisaZ said...
I must agree with Cadd....we need to promote the new posters here. Just because someone's first post is a rant of some sort doesn't mean any of us should jump all over him/her for not saying "hi" first. That kind of attitude breeds exclusivity and scares people off. Who cares if they didn't say hi first....maybe they didn't feel like it.

Hi LizaZ;
        I'm new to this message boards and let me give you a newbie perspective. There are lots of subject titles and lots of topics of discussion. Basically I just pick something and see if there is anything I can contribute to it. If not I move on. I have no clue if anyone read it or even if they commented on it. Sometimes I fogot what or where I posted something. If I find where I posted it, there and no responces so if nobody follows up I just move on. You all could jump on me,I'm no kid but only thing is I wish there was a way I could know if somebody responded to anything I said. I'd gladly go back and discuss it. Heck maybe that person shed some light on something I said too. I'm still finding my way through the motorcycle world. Here is what I've found.
  Most riders are very one dimentional and there thoughts are poured in concrete,can care less what anyone else thinks.
  Never argue with a gear head,just read what he writes and see if you understand it.
 Iron Buttes are usually old guys who think they are God's gift to riding. There are people out there that right alot too and don't need an Iron Butt sticker on their butt to prove it.
  I'll stick to these boards untill can figure them out and hopefully I'll be able to find this thread again.

Enjoy life and be who you want to be not what others want you to be.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 11/29/2005 1:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Welcome to the forums, Adam.

If you click the link at the top of a thread that saya "subscribe to this thread" you will get an e-mail whenever someone replies, with a link that takes you right there.

You can also subscribe to any forum category the same way, by clicking the link at the top of the page.

After doing this, the link changes to say "unsubscribe", so just click that if you get tired of the e-mails.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500 "Baggins"
VROC #11619 Rolling Blunder #128

shyguy344
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 142

Posted 12/13/2005 2:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey Cadd...thanks for the info on subscribing to the various threads. Being relatively new to this forum, and being technologically challenged, I had no idea about that, and I am sure there are others out there who are just as dumb as I am...For what it is worth, I agree with several of the other comments about the members of this group. While we have nutsos, cranks, wierdos and all the other cross sections of humanity, we are all motorcyclists and all have that in common. It is a wonderful thing to be able to share, tease, etc....and above all, learn from each other.

Bob

255 total miles

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 91

Posted 1/20/2006 10:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am Newbie, the newbie and I have to say that I just joined in Dec and have found this site to be very helpful and informative. Yes you will have your different personalities, but that just adds some spice to life. I am thrilled to be a part of this, even though I am waiting for my first bike to be fixed...

I have learned a lot and hope to keep on learning from all you have to offer.
Thanks,
Teri

RowdyCowchick
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 27

Posted 10/19/2006 5:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddmannQ said...
(I posted this previously, but I think it bears repeating; as well as a thread of it's own.)

Please let us remember that people don't always come here for the benefit of the club; but we should try to accept them, and encourage them as members, and to be upstanding and worthy members, so that they shall become so.

If we start picking at their scabs the moment they walk in the door, they will all just walk right out again, including the shy ones that have never made a single post before deciding that they wouldn't suffer the same treatment we gave some poor newbie whose crime was to rant about a rip-off job.

Some guy who obviously KNOWS he's hawking commercial business on a free forum?
BUST HIS CHOPS!

But some little guy who just comes in here to rant a bit, or promote his views on kickstand lubricants is really a protected species here: a prospective member.

This is not the One-Percenter's Club USA. We don't ride the prospects until the weak ones drop out in shame. We try to give newbies a hand up the ladder here, and without making them feel like big dummies in the process.

Or am I all wet here? What kind of organization do we really want???

I know this original post was made back in february, but I just wanted to say thanks, from a newbie who feels like an idiot because I was given the wrong information regarding the Honda Rebel 250 from a dealer, and then made to feel like a complete jerk who had her info wrong in my own thread.

~ Rowdy ~

"There are two kinds of riders...those who've already gone down, and those who have yet to go down."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 10/20/2006 7:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, Rowdy, and welcome to Motorcycle USA.

I actually posted that 32 months ago, which was some while before I became the general moderator. When I read it now, it seems perhaps a bit pompou; yet I think it still works as a guide as to what this place can be. We have a few members who are pranksters and a few who mostly want to rant and argue, but there's also a substantial and serious crew of dedicated folks here that work to promote motorcycling, safety, training, awareness of issues, knowledge of mechanics and diagnostics, customizing, racing, testing, touring and sportriding, motorcycling history and tradition, and all related things.

If you stick around, I can guarantee that you'll learn a lot about this business if you want to, you'll meet people that get satisfaction from helping others to learn, and you'll probably even have fun doing it. We're spread out all over the country, the continent, and even the globe, so we don't get to ride together; but reading about it is the next best thing.

Best, Cadd.

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 10/20/2006 7:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To all the new members:

I don't always get to jump in and say "Hi and Welcome", because there are so many other things to attend to; but please feel welcomed anyway and go post something on the boards. A question, a comment, your motorcycle-based fantasies--put up a photo of your bike, or the one you wish was your bike: it doesn't matter which. We want new people and new views and new opinions. We want you to post.

Lots of shy folks come here and read and browse; yet never get around to posting, and so we don't ever get to know them. You don't need to feel afraid of looking silly. Every one of us started out knowing nothing, we've all looked silly at one time or another, and whatever we now have took time and effort. That's the same for everyone, rich or poor, from New York to Ceylon to Tierra del Fuego.

So go explore. There's 21 different rooms and around 200 new message every day--and that's a lot of ground to cover, You probably won't get to it all (I know I can't, and I'm the moderator...) but you'll quickly find your favorites; and you'll find people that want to help, people that you'll want to help, and people that just love to talk about all things motorcycle.

;-)

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd

JJT07
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 7

Posted 3/5/2007 8:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh crap, so I just posted 'coz I was mad about a rip off site, intended to join some forums just to get the word out. Then starting reading this thread.. guess I messed up already.
Well it ain't the first time!

Z_Major
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 6

Posted 9/14/2007 11:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

This is an excellent forum- definitely a lot of folks on here with a lot of knowledge... a lot of different opinions, too, but it would be a dangerous thing to want to shy away from that.

We're never gonna have a perfect harmony on here, of guys and gals who know exactly how to present their opinions without offending at the same time. But if we did, it'd be kind of fake- natural's better.

Z

Boggy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 4

Posted 10/30/2007 12:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
skull DIE SPAMMER!  DIE! skull

Post Edited By Moderator (CaddmannQ) : 10/30/2007 4:19:49 PM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 4/8/2008 6:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddmannQ said...in February of 2004:
(I posted this previously, but I think it bears repeating; as well as a thread of it's own.)

Please let us remember that people don't always come here for the benefit of the club; but we should try to accept them, and encourage them as members, and to be upstanding and worthy members, so that they shall become so.

If we start picking at their scabs the moment they walk in the door, they will all just walk right out again, including the shy ones that have never made a single post before deciding that they wouldn't suffer the same treatment we gave some poor newbie whose crime was to rant about a rip-off job.

Some guy who obviously KNOWS he's hawking commercial business on a free forum?
BUST HIS CHOPS!

But some little guy who just comes in here to rant a bit, or promote his views on kickstand lubricants is really a protected species here: a prospective member.

This is not the One-Percenter's Club USA. We don't ride the prospects until the weak ones drop out in shame. We try to give newbies a hand up the ladder here, and without making them feel like big dummies in the process.

Or am I all wet here? What kind of organization do we really want???

Wise words from an old "sticky"?

Mavericks1F
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 46

Posted 12/21/2008 1:17 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree with The "topic" :-)
i just bought a bike a few months ago and joining this forum has taught me more than i could have ever learned by myself . I came here in desperate need of sum answers and got them quick and easy without the scared feeling of newbie bashin. smilewinkgrin

MB_Ed
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 16

Posted 3/2/2009 9:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I found this site due to a problem with a bike I'm working on. Thankfully I was able to look around to see if I could find an answer. No, I didn't but decided to join because of the info available and the personality of the membership.

After reading this thread from start to finish, as a "newbie", I notice it's been pointed out "we all were newbies at one time" I couldn't agree more.
I'm not a newbie to PMB's. One board I'm on, I'm one of the "old guys"  I understand how it is when new people come in and start asking questions, intelligent or not, and this same question has been beaten to death in many threads.
I and others have provided the info requested and advised that "the search button is your friend" 
Some people take offense to that but soon realize how true the statement is.   It can be somewhat challenging, especially with a board this size and as active as long as it has been.
I guess the point to my rambling is that I agree with alot of points in this thread and a few, not so much. Joining a community like this is a learning curve. Learning on everyone's part.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 8/20/2009 9:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow...

I wrote this advice over 5 years ago, right after watching some poor newbie "get the business"; and I'm still kinda proud that I wrote it.

Not that I never violated it myself (I did) but I tried to keep things on the up-and-up back when I was modding here.

A lot of people have come and gone over those 5 years, but I find this forum is still one of the nicest places on the web, and it's because of the caliber of people that stick around.

Congratulations to you folks!

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
caddmannq at yahoo dot com

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 8/21/2009 6:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Seems like you are back coming again ... Yep, you can pet yourself on the back, you did well. Or better, we all can.
Group pet!

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Post Edited (RedDog) : 4/27/2011 9:29:08 PM GMT

GarminForerunner
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 4/27/2011 10:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They obviously do not care for the community or climate we've worked hard to establish here- and further, I think I can safely say this is the best messaging board I've ever found; the most friendly, caring, and certainly most generous. Sorry if I seem a bit selective with what I consider to be a 'member' here (that's my right) but I think I've given enough of myself, and that we've all given a lot to eachother to simply let it be overrun with spam, boasts, challenges, or bashes.

Post Edited By Moderator (Rich_S) : 4/27/2011 7:00:53 PM GMT

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 9/3/2011 1:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gotta love Cadd's edits to spammer posts.... always good for a chuckle.

-------
Don't let Frank see that, or he'll make us put it in the movie.