Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > Honda CA77  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Arnie
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 3

Posted 10/5/2005 12:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, I just was given a Honda CA77 Dream. I was told it is a 1961? The serial number on moter is #1023861. Can anyone tell me the year for sure and where would I find the frame numbers? I have not taken anything apart to look yet. Thanks in advance, Arnie

TravelerKLK
2009 Rocket 3 Touring

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 666

Posted 10/5/2005 1:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I want to say that '61 is a bit early. http://www.go-fiche.com/fiche/honda/motorcycle/hon305-360.htm lists them as 1963 - 69

--Trav

"Res judicata facit ex nigro album, ex albo nigrum, ex recto curvum, ex curvo rectum."

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 10/5/2005 2:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Interesting bike you have, Arnie. I find those old 'square' Hondas fascinating, but my friends think me wierd! Anyway, here is a page from an American book I have. You will see that the dates contradict Travs post. Me, I couldn't say either way, but 45 (ish) years old is pretty good going.  You could try joining the VJMC. Bound to be some experts there. Keep us posted how you get on.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
DSCN0713.JPG
  747KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 260 time(s).

DataDan
Rodent Of Unusual Size

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 1054

Posted 10/5/2005 5:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
According to the Honda Motorcycle Identification Guide, the CA77 Dream Touring 305 was made from 1960 to 1969. A slight alteration to the gas tank shape in 1963 is the only change mentioned. See the rather sharply squared corner on the upper rear of the tank pad in RICHARD47's picture? That indicates a later model. On the earlier one, that corner was more round. Also, the front contour of the tank itself is sort of "top heavy" on the later bike while the early tank is more "bottom heavy".

I can't be of any help on the serial number. Apparently they were somewhat haphazardly assigned in the early days. On some models, year was included in the serial number. Sometimes the number of digits in the number changed over a multi-year production run. Yours has one more digit than shown in the Guide.

A superior rider uses superior judgment to avoid problems that would demand his superior skill.

TravelerKLK
2009 Rocket 3 Touring

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 666

Posted 10/5/2005 6:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RICHARD47 said...
Interesting bike you have, Arnie. I find those old 'square' Hondas fascinating, but my friends think me wierd! Anyway, here is a page from an American book I have. You will see that the dates contradict Travs post. Me, I couldn't say either way, but 45 (ish) years old is pretty good going.  You could try joining the VJMC. Bound to be some experts there. Keep us posted how you get on.

Rich:
What's the title of that book and is it still available, if you know?
Thanks.

--Trav

"Res judicata facit ex nigro album, ex albo nigrum, ex recto curvum, ex curvo rectum."

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 10/6/2005 1:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Trav, the book is one of the 'illustrated buyers guide' series and it is 'Classic Japanese Motorcycles'. Published by MBI publishing company. Classic Motorbooks, 729 Prospect Ave, PO Box 1, Osceola WI 54020-0001  1-800-826-6600.   www.motorbooks.com 

If you can't get one, I am sure they are still available at bike shows here. I'm going to the big show at Stafford in a few days, so I could get one to you.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Arnie
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 3

Posted 10/7/2005 1:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I founr the frame number CA78   1023720 and the motor number is CA77E 1023861.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
e-bay bike 009.jpg
  1.05Mb (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 429 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
e-bay bike 010.jpg
  833KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 142 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
e-bay bike 013.jpg
  907KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 220 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
e-bay bike 011.jpg
  900KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 109 time(s).

Hishonee
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 15

Posted 10/10/2005 1:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Wow what a lucky guy!  It looks like your bike is in pretty good condition for its age. I am working on getting my dads 1964 CA95 150cc running, they look very similar. On this web page (http://www.vjmc.org/techtips/carbondating.htm) it seems that your bike is a late 60's model, as 7 digit #'s didn't start until 1965.

I see the tank difference, as mentioned above.... mine is much more "bottom heavy".

Good luck!

Nancy
1964 HONDA CA95 - mine
2000 HD 883 chopper - his