Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > 1984 VT700C Honda Shadow Carb question  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Jfrazer
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/17/2007 10:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I bought the above bike off Craigslist a few months back. Got it to run decent, but not excellent. I know there's more potential for this bike. So I completely removed the air cleaner tube where it connects to the carbs and air filter. Started the bike and noticed only the right side vacuum piston was moving up/down/in/out. The left side wasn't moving, though I could slide it with my fingers. I took her out for a ride and watched the vaccum pistions while riding, same thing. What would cause the left side vacuum piston NOT to move?  Here's a little more info. Previous owner was running without a gas filter. While riding recently I limped home on one cylinder, found the left side gas line full of crap at the carb gas inlet, cleaned and running on two cylinders again, but the vacuum pistion does not move.There are no holes tears or cracks in the rubber diaghragm. Can't wait to experience this bike with both carbs working!  Jim.

Mac_Muz
Steering Committee

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 10321

Posted 6/17/2007 11:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thats interesting.... I was going to say you have a pin hole in that diaphram and they can be the devils own work to find...

I would suggest you take another look, and look much harder against a strong light. Then if you find nothing, look harder yet at the vent holes in the slider to be sure engine vacuum can enter the top chamber over the diaphram and nothing built a nest in them.

There should be a alignment slot to fit the same slot on the carb body as well and if it isn't alighned correctly you can have a slight leak, which is all it takes to get a no fuction problem with the slide. Slides can stick and bind as well and the slightest finger pressure should raise it, then it should drop with the engine off...

A comp test might be nice about now incase the owner bagged the engine and it ran so lean you toasted a valve which would be a royal killer to finfd out now... The engine can't really be running on all cly if the slider doesn't move... it may get an idle mix on the clys you have running off that carb at best..

So many bikes, and so little memory
Ossipee New Hampster "Eat Seeds or Die"

Jfrazer
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/17/2007 12:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Here's an update to my earlier post. I pulled the carbs off again, and decided to check the mini gas filters just below the float needle valve, because on my test ride I noticed even when I pulled the left hand vacuum piston all the way in, no gas was spraying from the main jet. I would swap the left side and right side vacuum pistons while I had it apart. Well the mini filters were CLOGGED, worse on the left side than on the right side, but both had crud. Thank you Clymer Manual. I swapped the vacuum psitons and put it all back together. What a difference! Both vacuum psitons are "fluttering" with the increase of throttle. Success!  She even sounds alot different! Just started raining so I have to postpone my test ride until later today or tomorrow. Happy Fathers Day to all you Dads! Its been a great one for me!

shadow rider35
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 5

Posted 12/5/2011 5:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
my plungers for my choke wont go all the way up