Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > Tire Info  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ | Show Newest Post First ]

PhantomStar
2003 Honda Shadow A.C.E.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 708

Posted 11/24/2007 11:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I went looking around to find some info on tires.  Here's what I found from:

Speed Index Table
Code-letter kmh mph
B 50 31
C 60 37
D 65 40
E 70 44
F 80 50
G 90 56
J 100 62
K 110 68
L 120 74
M 130 81
N 140 87
P 150 93
G 160 100
R 170 106
S 180 112
T 190 118
U 200 124
H 210 130
V/VB up to 240 up to 149
(V)(VB) over 240 over 149
W up to 270 up to 168
(W) over 270 over 168
ZR over 240 over 149
To indicate maximum speed allowed an additional engraving in used behind the tyre designation.
For example: V270, means V with max speed 270 km/h.
It's a good start anyway...

PhantomStar
It was a pleasure to burn.

Macmac
x mod

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 2061

Posted 11/24/2007 2:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh well ya see there, asnd I thought you were talking about reversed tread patterns, so some treads want to face one way to be a ft tire, while then you would reverse the direction if it were a rear tire..

Also something folks might fond interesting is that there is a date code. This will be embossed in an oval shape depression on just one side of the tire. ALL to include trucks and cars, plus bike radilas have these 3 numbers.

In an oval say you find 625 that would be 2006 and week 26 of that year, when it was made. So that tire would be about 1 and 1/2 years old... not to bad.

If the number was 026 then that tire would have been made in 2000 in week 26 and so be junk on the shelf.

Popular mechanics wrote a rather un popular artical to date tire shelf life, and they determined 6 years was it. it might look good at that date, but the oils will have seen better days and will be gone, so the tire will rot in sun, acid rain, and things man adds to road surfaces like sulfer base chems from exhaust.

If I find a tire some salesman wants to sell me, and I see it is 3 years old I will buy it, but for a very reduced price. If he won't move, I sure will, right to the next place.

In my opinion NO street bike should have any tire rated lesser than "H" as the speed indicator. Probably that isn't good enough for a real hard riding sport bike either... That is minimum for a cruiser.

The loading at high speed can toss off big hunks of rubber and that tends to spoil the day..

Oil Monger

Post Edited (Macmac) : 11/24/2007 9:23:42 PM GMT

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 5/11/2009 2:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I stole this from another site: http://roadstarclinic.com/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,187/func,view/catid,58/id,125466/

I have attached 2 pictures of motorcycle tires. All tires have this code on them. In picture 1 the code reads 0405 that means the tire was made in the 4th week of 2005. In picture 2 the code reads 4906 that means the tire was made the 49th week of 2006 or November2006.

MotoTireGuy
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2010
Total Posts : 23

Posted 2/27/2010 8:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Knowing how to read the DOT birthday code on tires is very useful. Don't buy a new tire that's more than 3 years old And generally replace tires after they are 6-7 years old.

All tires have TWI or Treadwear Indicators in the tread. When the surface of the tire is flush with the TWI bump it's time for new tires. Don't wait until you see the tire cords showing.

Motorcycle Tire Services * www.mototireguy.com
* Have You Checked Your Tire Pressures Lately? *

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
twi_bumps.jpg
  7KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 337 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
tire_cords.jpg
  63KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 8083 time(s).

blazer45
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2010
Total Posts : 6

Posted 7/30/2010 2:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow thanks for that information. So that's how you're going to check the manufacturing date of a tire. But regarding the other indicators when to change your tires I already knew like TWI bumps.

Motocross Stickers - http://www.customdirtbikegraphics.com.au