Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > 1985 Suzuki Madura 1200  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Dallas Swat
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 4

Posted 5/18/2010 6:01 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a Suzuki Madura 1200 that I am trying to rebuild, it is my first bike ever and I am a beginner. I dont know much about bikes and am having troubles with finding parts for this bike. I am wondering if I need to put original parts back on it, or what other types of parts will work for it that will be compatible with it. I am eager to get this bike back on the road and need all the help I can get with it. I located in Vine Grove, KY. If anyone is close that might be able to help me with this project or give me some advise I would be greatfull.

Dallas

skyhawk04kilo
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 1639

Posted 5/18/2010 8:16 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There's not much of a reason to rebuild a motorcycle that old unless it carries some sentimental value. It will end up costing you way more to restore it than to buy another used bike that's already running. That bike is also way too heavy and powerful for a first bike. Weight and power are two things you don't want in excess in your first motorcycle. I recommend you look at used 250cc bikes. A very nice 250 can be had for about $1500.

2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1978 Yamaha XS650 Special

Dallas Swat
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 5/18/2010 8:29 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I learned to ride on this bike already, last summer and I would of agreed with you then that it was too much of a bike but after i got used to it I would be afraid of going to anything that small for the fear of out growing it too fast. I wanted to rebuild it over the winter and just had too many things come into play and now that summer is getting here i dont have a bike to ride and i'm stressing over it. I striped it down in the fall, and now its the process of putting it back together that I am having problems with.

skyhawk04kilo
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 1639

Posted 5/19/2010 5:47 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well the best thing you can do is get a Haynes or Clymer manual for your model and year bike. They will explain how to rebuild every component of the motorcycle. Both companies make good manuals, it's just a matter of finding one for your bike. Haynes is written in UK English and Clymer is written in American English.

You're not going to outgrow something just because it isn't a 1200. In fact, I'm seriously considering ditching my 1200 for a 250 as the 1200 is overkill around town. If you haven't ridden since last fall, there is going to be a re-learning period, so be prepared for that once you get it back together. Depending on how many miles you put on it last summer, it might be like you're starting from scratch again. How many miles have you ridden so far anyway?

2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1978 Yamaha XS650 Special

MechTech
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 527

Posted 5/19/2010 8:03 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dallas Swat said...
I learned to ride on this bike already, last summer and I would of agreed with you then that it was too much of a bike but after i got used to it I would be afraid of going to anything that small for the fear of out growing it too fast. I wanted to rebuild it over the winter and just had too many things come into play and now that summer is getting here i dont have a bike to ride and i'm stressing over it. I striped it down in the fall, and now its the process of putting it back together that I am having problems with.

The first rule of vehicle restoration, NEVER take apart your only set of wheels.

What you're going to have to replace as you reassemble it is going to depend on the condition the parts are in now. If you damaged it taking it off or its a single use item (like gaskets) then you have to find the replacements first. And for an old bike like yours that is the real pain in the *** of fixing them.

My advise right now is buy a different running bike to ride and take your time fixing this one (or sell it as a basket case to offset the cost)

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough"

Currently own
'82 Honda V45 Magna
'05 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
'09 Buell FireBolt

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 5/19/2010 10:50 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have found the best source for old bike parts - and I have three old '70's Suzukis - is ebay. In fact if it wasn't for ebay I wouldn't have been able to restore them. So take a look there and see what is available, it's quite a rare bike, so you may not find much.
Also, you can't rush restoring/refurbishing a bike or you are likely to make a pigs ear of it.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 5/19/2010 6:38 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For me, the first two questions are, what is the miles on the bike, and why do you feel it needs to be rebuilt? On this site, when someone says "rebuild" we all assume you mean tearing into the engine and rebuilding it. If that is the case, your only choice are original Suzuki engine parts. To use anything else is a crapshoot at best. But unless the bike has been missused, abused, thrashed or stored imporperly, or if it has really high miles (like over 100,000) there really should be no need to "rebuild" it other than the carbs, timing chains (maybe), etc.

If you are really serious about rebuilding this bike, for whatever reason you deem necessary, BEFORE tearing into the engine at all, take the bike to a professional mechanic and pay for a leak-down test. Any good, real mechanic will know how to do it and diagnose the results to tell you IF anything has to be done internally and then what to do.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Ed__S
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 730

Posted 5/19/2010 8:18 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd restore it, but I must admit to being biased.  I've got Cavalcades & work on them for others all the time - the 'cade is the Madura's big sister & very similar in some ways.  If you need engine parts, I've got two Maddy engines in my stash & I won't be needing anything other than the trans components.  My guess is you need chassis items, the GV engines live forever.  For that, I'd recommend you get involved with the Madura owner's group.  They have a ton of info on it & can surely point you the right way.

By the way, they're great bikes. Suzuki's V4 is tough to beat & the maddy 1200 was one WICKED bike. I got a chance to ride one awhile back & it lives up to it's reputation. Waay too fast for me! Still, I wouldn't mind adding one to the stable one day.

Ed

St Louis, Missouri
~~~~~~~~~~~
1986 Suzuki Cavalcade LXE (x2)
1986 Cavalcade LXE TRIKE
1986 Cavalcade LX  (sidecar rig)
1987 Cavalcade LXE (project bike)

Dallas Swat
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 5/26/2010 5:26 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for all the info and suggestions everyone. Ed you say you wouldn't mind adding one to your stable one day and would like to restore one. would you be interested in one already torn apart? I just dont have much time to work on it, and i have to try to find a way to get another running bike to ride so its time for me to give up on my maddy.

Dallas

Ed__S
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004

Posted 6/4/2010 5:44 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dallas,
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, been really busy. Anyway, I am interested, just sent you a PM with my contact info. I have a couple of Cavalcades coming from West Virginia next week & may be able to arrange transport. Just how far apart is it anyway? Stripped frame or what? If it can be reassembled, even loosely, it'll be easier to move.
As I said via PM, I'd like to see pics & (of course) we can discuss price.

Thanks, Ed

St Louis, Missouri
~~~~~~~~~~~
1986 Cavalcade LXE TRIKE

Mr1200Madura
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 5

Posted 1/8/2012 6:33 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As far as rebuilding a madura, there is nothing wrong with that, what kind of rebuild are we talking about? rebuilding the heads? rebuilding the top end? which is heads and new bore job and pistons, or a complete rebuild from the crank up, which is new main bearings, rods, line bore the crank, new pistons, rodbearings, cam chains, there is a lot to a completel over haul you have to measure and inspect every part to make sure it is in specs, but if you have never rebuild a motorcycle engine before, dont try this, please cause you will have o id say about 4,ooo.oo$ and all u have to do is miss 1 thing, like having the cam timing off by 3 teeth and poof your engine is probably ruined, or not connect rod bolts to the spec, and you just wiped out the entire engine. Best case for you, is look for another madura if you are hung on this bike use this 1 , for parts, in parts, if it is complete is worth about $2,000.00 if you part it out.
But yet again a madura 1200 is not a 1st bike even thou i have known of people that do this, it just isnt the best thing, I can give you a idea a ruff 1 of a complete rebuild by breaking down like this, main bearings are $150 x4 =$600.00, pistons and rings 40x4= 160. line bore, i think about $300.00 Line bore is truing up your crank this is a must. head all new valve guides, if you have 1 bad 1 replace all of them, $50.00 a piece $50x 16 = 800. rods are about 40 a piece 40 x 4 =160, complete gasket set I think if memory serves me correct is $150, replacing all valves is cheap 1,s is last time i priced them was$18 a piece, so 18 x 16 = $288.00 so im not going to add the stuff up but i think it comes out to around 3,000.00 plus you got to throw in labor casue you have to have some 1 take your old guides out and install new 1s, and other motor work , etc, etc, etc, if you have some 1 else do the entire job for you, just the labor is going to run you about 2000.00plus so now your freshly rebuild madura is going to cost you more than what it did when it was new. Is it worth it? Id have to say yes, if you compare this to going out and buying a brand new bike this is about a 1/3 of what a new bike cost. But please if you are not a motorcycle mechanic with experience please dont try this your self, it will not work, unless you have some Godly natural gift with your hands

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 1/8/2012 1:59 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mr1200Madura said...
But please if you are not a motorcycle mechanic with experience please dont try this your self, it will not work, unless you have some Godly natural gift with your hands
Please don't try posting coherent messages in online forums unless you have some "godly natural gift with your hands" such that you can include a little proper punctuation and white space to make it at least a little bit readable.  smilewinkgrin

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

Ed__S
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004

Posted 1/20/2012 1:46 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mr1200Madura said...
As far as rebuilding a madura, there is nothing wrong with that, what kind of rebuild are we talking about? rebuilding the heads? rebuilding the top end? which is heads and new bore job and pistons, or a complete rebuild from the crank up, which is new main bearings, rods, line bore the crank, new pistons, rodbearings, cam chains, there is a lot to a completel over haul you have to measure and inspect every part to make sure it is in specs, but if you have never rebuild a motorcycle engine before, dont try this, please cause you will have o id say about 4,ooo.oo$ and all u have to do is miss 1 thing, like having the cam timing off by 3 teeth and poof your engine is probably ruined, or not connect rod bolts to the spec, and you just wiped out the entire engine. Best case for you, is look for another madura if you are hung on this bike use this 1 , for parts, in parts, if it is complete is worth about $2,000.00 if you part it out.
But yet again a madura 1200 is not a 1st bike even thou i have known of people that do this, it just isnt the best thing, I can give you a idea a ruff 1 of a complete rebuild by breaking down like this, main bearings are $150 x4 =$600.00, pistons and rings 40x4= 160. line bore, i think about $300.00 Line bore is truing up your crank this is a must. head all new valve guides, if you have 1 bad 1 replace all of them, $50.00 a piece $50x 16 = 800. rods are about 40 a piece 40 x 4 =160, complete gasket set I think if memory serves me correct is $150, replacing all valves is cheap 1,s is last time i priced them was$18 a piece, so 18 x 16 = $288.00 so im not going to add the stuff up but i think it comes out to around 3,000.00 plus you got to throw in labor casue you have to have some 1 take your old guides out and install new 1s, and other motor work , etc, etc, etc, if you have some 1 else do the entire job for you, just the labor is going to run you about 2000.00plus so now your freshly rebuild madura is going to cost you more than what it did when it was new. Is it worth it? Id have to say yes, if you compare this to going out and buying a brand new bike this is about a 1/3 of what a new bike cost. But please if you are not a motorcycle mechanic with experience please dont try this your self, it will not work, unless you have some Godly natural gift with your hands
Hey, if you really rebuild maddy's, I've got two 1200 engines on hand that I'd like to sell eventually.  I acquired them for the sake of the transmission components, we're working on a Cavalcade six-speed conversion which will mate maddy & 'cade parts after some rather intense machine work. (Don't ask)

My project will require the mainshaft, countershaft, and shift drum assemblies, but the upper ends & crankshafts will remain intact & undisturbed with all timing chains still in place & lower crankcase will be reinstalled. 

Honestly have no idea as to the mileage on these engines, nor do I know why they were removed.  I'd take $100 each, or just make me a reasonable offer for both & they're yours.

Ed

St Louis, Missouri
~~~~~~~~~~~
1986 Cavalcade LXE TRIKE
1988 Cavalcade LX (soon for sale)