Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > Thread Lock type for brake rotor screws  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 4/5/2011 4:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi all,

I'm cleaning up the '93 Nighthawk I bought recently. I removed the brake rotor to clean up and repaint it. There was the remnant of some kind of threadlocker stuff on the screws.

What's the preferred type of threadlock for rotor screws? Just regular red Loctite?

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R & 750 Nighthawk

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 4/5/2011 7:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Plated steel against Alumimum is a no win. 242 coated threads is good for something you don't want to seize up. I go to proper torque with a combo of moly grease and engine oil. Avaition uses stainless helicoils to solve the problem.

Asphalt the greatest tattoo remover.

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 4/6/2011 1:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't have a manual for your Honda but I do have one for a Suzuki Bandit and they specify several types of Loctite according to the location. For brake disc bolts they specify Suzuki Thread Lock Super 1360, which I imagine is Loctite 1360, since Suzuki don't make their own. However, several Haynes manuals I have for different models just say to use a non setting type of thread lock. I would be inclined to go to an auto parts store and see what they have.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 4/6/2011 5:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry gone, not in my library either. My Honda manual for the 500 says torque them. But,I remember using blue loctite,so unless someone(resto) knows better,I would loctite them. How is the hawk,did you do the paint on the tank? Sorry I couldnt help more.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 4/6/2011 8:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, guys. I did a web search, and didn't find anything specifically designated for this use. Seems like Loctite blue comes up quite a bit. Guess I'll give that a shot.

Ah, el SID, you remembered the tank!

I dropped off the tank and the tail cowl piece that also had some scratches. The body shop hooked me up with their best painter, and said I could work out a deal with him. I got the feeling that they pretty much let him do side work for cash as long as he got his normal insurance work done. He's painted Harley tanks for customers, and I gotta say that this guy went to the mat for me. He tried his best, but couldn't get a match to the OEM candy blue that he liked. So he did some investigating and found that PPG has a color formula in a non-candy that is the closest base/clear to the OEM color. He showed me a sample spray-out of the color, and it looked great. He said he could repaint the tank and tail in the factory three-stage candy color, but the materials alone would cost way more than he had quoted me for the whole job. For just a little more than he quoted for the touch-up, he painted all of my tins in the non-candy matching color. I took a look at the finished tins yesterday, and they are show quality. I drove my cage today so I can pick up all of the tins at lunch. Can't wait to show her off at the local Saturday morning meet-up when she's back together.

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R & 750 Nighthawk