Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > put a back tire on front?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

stanly
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 319

Posted 8/12/2011 12:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tell me about the pros and cons of this ... anyone done it?
Admit there is no other reason than I'm cheap and this tire is available.
Tire: D401 130/90-16
Bike: '87 GL1200

Also have a 130/90-16 off the back of '83 gl1100.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 8/12/2011 2:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
stanly said...

How much different is that from the "normal" front tire size ??
And how OLD are those available tires ??

A front tire often has more tread grooves than a rear.  It might not turn as "good" even in the same size.
It might also be slightly more prone to hydro-planing in water.
Look at the tread pattern compared to what's on there now and see what you think.

If you like to "carve the curves" then I would NOT recommend it.

If it doesn't rub anything, then going in a straight line probably won't be a problem.......although it will have a different feel to get used to when turning a corner.

How much is the skin on your ass worth ??  ;-)

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 8/12/2011 7:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
stanly said...
Tell me about the pros and cons of this ... anyone done it?
Admit there is no other reason than I'm cheap and this tire is available.

Any chance you're talking used rear tire with all the wear in the center, and Your thinking the front application will get the use of an un-used area?

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 8/13/2011 2:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Depends on the bike, Stanly. My old T250 uses Dunlop K82 tires, identical apart from size. However, they are marked differently (on the same tire) regarding direction for front or rear mounting. My more modern Honda has tires of the same brand but they are somewhat different in appearance and they have direction arrows for one direction only. So I'm guessing that the answer is no, because the construction of the tire will make it unsuitable. I notice that the original Wing had a ribbed tire on the front and a block tread on the rear.

The Wing may be old but it's still a relatively fast bike and still as heavy so I reckon that going cheap on tires is not something I would do.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

stanly
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 8/14/2011 12:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Richard47 said...

Depends on the bike, Stanly. My old T250 uses Dunlop K82 tires, identical apart from size. However, they are marked differently (on the same tire) regarding direction for front or rear mounting. My more modern Honda has tires of the same brand but they are somewhat different in appearance and they have direction arrows for one direction only. So I'm guessing that the answer is no, because the construction of the tire will make it unsuitable. I notice that the original Wing had a ribbed tire on the front and a block tread on the rear.

The Wing may be old but it's still a relatively fast bike and still as heavy so I reckon that going cheap on tires is not something I would do.

OK, Blocks on back = bad

Good general advice- I'm currently running a $100 set (think the front is a D404)

lou said: Any chance you're talking used rear tire with all the wear in the center, and Your thinking the front application will get the use of an un-used area?

No, that would be unusual for a Wing of this vintage (that it does high lean angles)

stanly
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 8/14/2011 12:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...
stanly said...

How much different is that from the "normal" front tire size ??
And how OLD are those available tires ??

A front tire often has more tread grooves than a rear.  It might not turn as "good" even in the same size.
It might also be slightly more prone to hydro-planing in water.
Look at the tread pattern compared to what's on there now and see what you think.

If you like to "carve the curves" then I would NOT recommend it.

If it doesn't rub anything, then going in a straight line probably won't be a problem.......although it will have a different feel to get used to when turning a corner.

How much is the skin on your ass worth ??  ;-)

130/90-16 is the normal sz.
prob. newer than the one on now (at least the D401)
Wing carving corners = grinding exhaust system.
different tire = different feel in corners....guess it depends on what u mean by "different" 
skin on my ass... guess according to u about $100

PS: the D404 I'm replacing was little thin to start with...going to guess it only lasted about 5-6K, but it did come already mounted.

Post Edited (stanly) : 8/14/2011 8:03:33 AM GMT

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 8/14/2011 8:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
stanly said...

different tire = different feel in corners....guess it depends on what u mean by "different" 
How long have you been riding, exactly ??

I guess maybe when you ride a lumbering bear, there might not be much of a different feel regardless of what you do.

The front tires have a different tread pattern for a reason.
If you want to ignore that, then go for it.
Let us know how it turns out.

Maybe next time you could put car tires on both wheels.  shocked

lol 

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 8/15/2011 1:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rear tire on the front? Not recommended because the rear tire construction and profile is different than the front tire on most every current bike (current being all bikes younger than since the late 70s).

Front tires are designed for more flex loading also due to the added steering/leaning/braking/feel forces.

In a pinch and stranded somewhere with only the choice of a correctly sized rear tire I would do it. But otherwise I'd avoid it.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

stanly
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 8/19/2011 12:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Since this thread seems to be going to Hell anyway...

guess subtly is over rated -  are we talking different as in "I need to check the air pressure" or more along lines of "did some one let all the fork oil leak out"?

seems like U might be lacking in life experience or never internalized the one about - once you say "Listen Up B___h...." they can't hear much else u say either after or before.

PS: can't believe U said Double DARKSIDE!

Easy Rider 2 said...
stanly said...

How long have you been riding, exactly ??

I guess maybe when you ride a lumbering bear, there might not be much of a different feel regardless of what you do.

The front tires have a different tread pattern for a reason.
If you want to ignore that, then go for it.
Let us know how it turns out.

Maybe next time you could put car tires on both wheels.  shocked

lol 

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 8/19/2011 1:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
^^^ You have been vague, from post one, so the difficulty has been yours.

Saying you are cheap, when you are talking tires...puts the thead into the trash can, to start with.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 8/19/2011 1:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
second that  Harumph harumph

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 8/20/2011 8:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
stanly said...

Since this thread seems to be going to Hell anyway...

I don't believe in beating around the bush.

Sorry if that offends you.

I was expressing an honest opinoin......and the part about the "lumbering beast" was meant as a joke.

To give informed opinions, we need facts......and you still have given us precious few.

ANY change in tires, even new ones of the same brand and type often makes the bike feel different.
Putting a back tire on the front is likely to make it feel a LOT different.

Bottom like is:  Nobody really knows.......so go for it.......or don't.....but don't come here, ask a question and then bitch because you don't get answers worded exactly as you expect.

Oh, and I've got 65 years of wide and varied "life experiences"............and don't really much care what you think of my demeanor.  Life is not all sweetness and light.  Get over it.

BJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 4

Posted 8/22/2011 3:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I believe what you are referring to is a Michelin Pilot rear tire. There are some trikers (3 wheelers) that swear by those tires for the front of their trikes and do run them in reverse. They claim to get high mileage out of them.

As for putting a rear tire on a GL1200 I would highly NOT recommend that you do it.

If you are cheap then buy a bike that uses tires that are less costly.

If a $100+ tire is too expensive for you then maybe you need to find other transportation. Just sayin'....

slapjack101
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 4

Posted 8/31/2011 8:07 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

hey man,, if you value your hide!!!! i would not do this.

front tires are made to go on the front, and rear on the rear!! they are just designed different. at a high speed you may find yourself out in a ditch or worse under a oncoming vehicle. it's just not worth it......

two heads are better than one!!

stanly
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 1/11/2012 5:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
checking back - to all: It's an idea, I know it's been done, I asked for experience.
But your opinions are always yours to express

Easy Rider 2...guess that's 65 going on 16
and don't worry that's one opinion I won't be asking in future

texrider
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 464

Posted 1/11/2012 7:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
stanly said...
checking back - to all: It's an idea, I know it's been done, I asked for experience.
But your opinions are always yours to express

Easy Rider 2...guess that's 65 going on 16
and don't worry that's one opinion I won't be asking in future
I reckon if you can ride that V-65 Sabre in your sig pic, that you can experiment with tires if you want.

The darkside guys run a car tire on back, and some go double-darkside with a rear tire up front with reversed direction. They run it reversed because it's a traction design when run with the arrow. Suppposedly makes it an OK steering tire if reversed.

Reading darkside adventure tales should get you all the available info. roll

This is my opinion. There may be others like it, but this one's mine until further notice.

lawrence1
06 ZR1000

Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 322

Posted 1/13/2012 4:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
First off, sweet bike, love them Sabres.

Do not do what you're thinking. Even if you have to go uptown and perform oral sex acts, get the money.

Check Ebay and the salvage yards for the tire you are looking for. I bought a Pilot Power rear last year for $50 delivered off of Ebay. It will be replaced by spring but it's still on there. The tread was like 96% when I got it. It had some mud on one side meaning it probably came off a wrecked bike. A little soap and water and I got a good deal.

Pigs of Life MC

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/13/2012 5:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I used to a be a cheap ass on tires, rode em well past the wear bars, tried to spend the least I could on a tire. That was, until, I had a crash that was directly related to my really worn out rear tire. Loss of traction = bike dump on me = busted left leg = lost of three months riding time = titanium rod in lower left leg.

Not saying mounting a used rear tire on the front will result in the same, but why chance your well being?

I agree with Lawrence1, if you want to save on tires, go the slightly used salvage tire route. At least you'll still be getting the proper tire and saving some bucks. Heck, these days you can even buy retread motorcycke tires.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/16/2012 11:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Stanly you are a novice in the lingo of m/cing.  Same in so many forms of work, sport or such.  So find a few old m/c mags & so a bit of reading so you understand the m/c lingo.

I had to go though this when teaching novices how to work on or shoot hand guns.  In fact back in 1942, during WWII, I noted one Army Cadet did not know how to place a .22 cal round before he closed the bolt action, but at 12 yrs I did & said cadet had to be 13 to 15 yrs of age.

Remember m/c riding is BALANCE, stopping power & just so much more.  The fad was on, in another m/c board, of where a chap wanted to put a cage (CAR TO YOU) on the rear of his cruiser. 

He had some chap placed at the end of a bend & in comming around the cage tyre was so square that the rear end of his bike went out from under him & so an embarassing crash.

Cheap tyres or 'used' tyres traded in for part of the price of new tyres is often common, but really you never know what quality they are or so much more.

The chaps on this board are TRYING to get it out to you so you will understand.  A poor tyre front or rear can have you ending up with your ear to the pavement & bike crashing as well.  All COSTLY.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.