Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > 75 RD 350  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

75' RD 350 Resto
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 12/3/2011 10:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Howdy Folks,
New to this forum. Impressed by all of the excellent advice and experience shared here. Picked up a 75 RD 350 a few weeks ago. Have read the choppertrash thread a couple of times as as well as the others on RD restorations. I have some background with things mechanical and but maybe only enough to make me dangerous. I owned a a 75 exactly like this one back in the late 80's. It had a whopping 30k on the odometer and was pretty tired by the time i got it. That was probably a good thing for me because i was 17 and maybe it kept me from doing the stu0id things that 17 year olds do with fast bikes. Anyway, i took that one on a longer road trip and holed a piston. My dad and i rebuilt the top end but we made the 'mistake' of assuming it was the oil pump and also of tearing out the air box and putting KnN air filters on it after that it was a lot faster but fouled plugs using premix all of the time and i didnt have the skill or time, had moved on to college by then, to dial it all in. I ended up selling it as a basketcase, another mistake, and buying an R 65. All that is a long way of providing some background on me and a way of saying i am humbled by my experiences and by all of the knowledge i see being shared here.
As far as this bike goes, it is all stock, has 13,000 miles on the odo, which i tend to believe, and has been sitting in a tuck under garage here in Madison Wisconsin since 1986. I want to 'restore' it to stock running condition with the only mod being some slightly lower bars. When i say restore i dont mean spend ten grand to have some one elsemake it look and perform better than new like i see on the internet these days, i mean clean it all up, rebuild what needs to be rebuilt and then have a sunday rider. I will have questions along the way. Thanks in advance for your help.

75' RD 350 Resto
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/3/2011 11:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okay, first question. The carb throttle valves (slides) are frozen. They appear to be stuck in the fully closed position by the brown varnish that came from the gas that evaporated and or began to run up into the main jet and venturi. The bowls are, of course, pretty full of the brown crud and the floats are stuck in place and the main jets are totally clogged and covered over. I managed to get the carbs off the bike and to detach the throttle cables without breaking the cables. I tried a spray can of CV valve cleaner on the brown crud with no effect at all. I have the whole carbs soaking in some of the old gas that came with the bike in the tank. They have been soaking for a day or two now. I am hoping that the old gas, will reabsorb the solids that it has deposited over the years and free up the carbs. So far it doesn't really seem to be working that well. Any suggestions on a liquid chemical that will cut the brown varnish crud and allow me to free up these carb floats, and slides?

I have also considered the possibility that some chemical reaction has occurred between the metal of the carb body(aluminum?) and the metal of the carb slide (steel?) and that I may need to look for different carbs, but I am hoping that they are just mucked up and sticking. There is no evidence of deterioration of metal via rust or pitting or white powdering so ... I am hopeful that these carbs can be saved.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 12/3/2011 3:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try soaking the carbs for a day or two in diesel or kerosene. Gentle heat (hairdryer) may help. Remove the throttle stop screw and gently tap the slide down to break the 'glue'. Don't get the parts from one carb mixed up with the other, particularly the float bowls, as they are different. I had to get several used sets of carbs for my Suzuki T250 before I was able to make one decent pair. Used carbs should be easier to find for RD's as they were used for several model years.

Good man regarding the super shiny better than new things you see on the net and at shows. I like to get my bikes looking as though they were new, or maybe just a year or two old. Not polished to some unearthly shine, I don't see the point.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Post Edited (Richard47) : 12/3/2011 10:35:29 PM GMT

75' RD 350 Resto
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/4/2011 11:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the tip. I have the carbs soaking in kerosene. I was able to get one of the slides loose by backing out the idle screw and tapping the slide downward to break the seal. Good idea :p