Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > 2003 Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan Classic Oil Filter  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

rjako
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/4/2011 12:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
  I just bought a 2003 Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan Classic and I love the bike. It's the 1st year model so there were 3 recalls. 1) gas tank bushings,2) exhaust bracket and 3) oil filter. I called a local dealership and gave them the vin number. It came back that all 3 recalls were already done. My question is that the oil filter is the (cartridge) type and I would think that the recall would have been to replace the cartridge type with a standard (spin on) type filter that most motorcycles use? Does anyone else have this (cartridge) type oil filter and are they hard to deal with or just a maintenance issue? Thanks in advance for any information...

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 12/5/2011 12:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think the issue was that the early 1600's had "improved" (stiffer) oil pump bypass valve springs, and until the pumps got broken in a bit they developed so much oil pressure on a cold start that they could split the spin-on filter open.

As far as I recall, this never happened while riding, but only after sitting for many hours in cold weather.

The factory didn't want to take all those engines back apart to change that one little spring, so they supplied the dealers with a special adapter plate which allowed the use of a much heavier canister + replaceable cartridge filter.

This move saved them about $1500 per bike!

It works OK, if it's installed right. The key is that the adapter must be installed tight with adhesive (Loctite) and the canister bolt must not be over-torqued. Some unhappy people found the adaptor screwing off the engine when all they wanted to remove was the canister.

BTW, my 1500 had some serious oil pressure on really cold mornings as well. Enough that it developed a small leak. That all went away when I started using synthetic oil, which flows MUCH easier when cold.

It's possible that all Kawasaki really needed to do was switch all those 1600's over to synthetic oil, but it would have actually cost more than what they did, because to be safe they would have had to change all the spin-on filters for new ones--not knowing if they had been weakened by cold-starting.

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
qmann at asdiengr dot com
http://hooligancruisers.proboards102.com

rjako
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/5/2011 9:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Cadd,

Thanks for the reply and all the information. I've never had a (canister) type oil filter on a street bike so it sounds like it's just another maintenance item to work with. The last bike I had, I was running Amsoil and I think I'll go that route again. Mind if I ask what kind of synthetic you use in your Kawasaki? Thanks again for the reply....