Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > '72 kawasaki f7. where do I start?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

1972.F7
Enduro Newb

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 9

Posted 12/7/2011 7:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just bought my first bike, stated in the title. Its a 175cc 2 stroke, oil injected eduro bike. The lights and guages are gone, but it runs like a champ. It was 35-40 degrees out when I bought it and I turned the kill switch on, fuel on, choke on, took the kickstand up, at she started for me first kick. But even tho it runs good it still needs alot of work to become street worthy again (not to mention street LEGAL.) The drum brakes, chain, sprockets, lights, and guages need replaced. I checked the fuel and oil lines, tires, and air filter, those all seem ok. I need to change the crank case oil Im sure. Is there anything else i should check before using it a few hours a week to ride around the open field? and is there any free downloadable info on this bike, like a manual or parts explosion? I checked the sites that are stickied in this section, to no avail. The info im looking for is oil type and ammount, what certain parts are called, and other basic info Im sure to need at some point. I have no idea how hard it will be to change the brakes, or what parts need replaced in them. I have never messed with drum brakes. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Im new to bikes in general, as well as old engines. Only 2 years expirience on anything remotely close, which were my Yamaha Blasters, years 2000 and 1996. 200cc 2 stroke 4wheelers.

If you cant buy it, build it.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/8/2011 4:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Second thread? the advice that richard gave you was very sound in your first thread, in the newbie section. So,in that I would say, set up the carb, for the temp outside so you dont blow the motor to kingdom come. Change sprokets and chain before you ride it at all. Richard gave you top tips, sounds to me like you are in over your head. A 40 year old bike is going to be expensive to fix. Harder still to find parts for. Sound familiar? Oh thats right, someone told you that already.......

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Post Edited (el SID) : 12/8/2011 12:39:58 PM GMT

1972.F7
Enduro Newb

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/8/2011 6:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry, thought I would check here as advised by another member. If I do find myself over my head, ill sell it and be out some money, and up in expirience. As for the moment, I dont feel like im over my head since the engine runs solid. Maybe im just being overly cautious. I think a manual, or parts explosion diagram would help me figure out the majority of my questions.

1972.F7
Enduro Newb

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/8/2011 6:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As for parts, there seems to be quite a few on ebay.