Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > wont start when hot  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

masteringram
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/8/2011 5:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
hi guys IM new hERE  i want to tell somthing. I HAD  THIS motorcycle prob. it wont start when the engine's hot and when i rest the engine for about 10 - 15 min. when its cold it's magically starts again and when it gets hot again there goes the same thing. my motor is battery operated when it stop running the power where to low but the signal and head lights are fine only in the sparkplug wire where to low sparks . i changed sparkplugs and even ignition coil and cdi where fine. what should i do to take this risk. WHEN THE ENGINE GOES HOT THE MOTOR STOPS AND THE GROUND WIRE WAS TO LOW SOMETIMES NO SPARKS AT ALL.  EVERYTHING'S GOOD SPARKPLUGS, IGNITION COIL, AND CDI , BUT THERES STILL HOT ENGINE STOP GOING ON PLSSSS..... HELLLPPP ME .......

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 12/9/2011 6:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Whenever you have a bike problem, we can best help when you tell us the bike, the model, how many miles, are you the 1st or 5th owner, etc, etc. Asking for help on a bike without telling us details is like asking "why is the sky blue"?

Actually, that one is easier to answer.

But what does this mean, ""THE GROUND WIRE WAS TO LOW SOMETIMES NO SPARKS AT ALL".

Ground wire too low? Huh? This makes no sense. Ground wire for the coils? There is none, the coils ground to the frame through the coil mounts. Coil to spark plug wire? The spark plug wires should not be tied to the frame to avoid any possible ground paths through the wire insulation to the chassis. The coils only have the primary winding (12 volt input) wire and the secondary winding (high voltage output) spark plug wire.

Since you replaced the coil and plugs, and the symtoms returned it would rule those out. But not the spark plug caps. The caps build resistance over time, and can build more resistance when they get hot. They can be replaced for less than $10 per cap and I regularly replace them on older bikes. If the plug wires have a ciut or abrasion through the cover the coil output energy could be grounding to the frame and you'd loose spark energy. What color is the spark at the plug? It should be a bright violet-blue color. If it is a medium yellowish color then the coil energy is not getting to the plugs. What is the plug ceramic color? Light tan indicates a proper air/fuel mix and good burn. A dark, shiny, oily black color indicates a possible oil fouling issue. A dark sooty black indicates a fuel rich problem fouling out the plugs.

But we need to know which brand, model and year of bike you refer too.

Oh, and wierd, big text does not make your post anymore easier to read or notice. Just use the default text font and we'll read it just fine, in non-caps too.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Post Edited (Andy VH) : 12/9/2011 1:39:26 PM GMT

Longshot
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 117

Posted 12/9/2011 4:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The starter is shot....

Second Officer Harbor Chapter #215 Southern Cruisers Riding Club

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 12/9/2011 6:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Longshot said...
The starter is shot....
Well that's really a "longshot"......since he also said that the engine STOPS when it gets hot.

rolleyes

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 12/12/2011 8:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, I agree, a statement like "the starter is shot" does little to answer the real question. By his description, the bike cranks over and does start. But is hard to get RUNNING when hot, not hard to crank over. A starter problem is usually evident as something that quickly drains the battery down by using so much battery energy that the iginition system cannot produce a strong enough spark to start the engine. If the OP had said the bike cranks over but then quickly dies down while cranking without starting then I would suspect the starter.

Even though the OP did not specify what the bike is, age, age, model, size, etc, its a good bet its a Japanese bike of recent vintage. These bikes ALL use a starter positioned on the bike in a way that engine heat does not adversely affect the operation of the starter.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/17/2011 4:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have to wonder if this is a faulty coil.  When they sort of break down they do fine with a newly stated bike, but a bummer, sometimes when the bike is started, when still hot.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 12/20/2011 3:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yup, I'm with Smitty. It's a bad coil.

Børk! Børk! Børk!