Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > Engine Rebuild  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Skinner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/10/2011 9:15 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was wanting to rebuild my '05 Yamaha V star 1100 engine.  Wanting to get all of the power I can out of her.  Any suggestions?  Also, what are some carb options?  I currently have a hypercharger + jet upgrade.  And new cobra pipes.  These things helped a little, but I still want more.  Any advice is much appreciated.    Skinner

Richard47
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 12/11/2011 1:43 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sell the 1100 and buy an 1800, or whatever. Cheaper in the long run and certain to get results.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Skinner
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/11/2011 2:12 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the reply. I did actually think about buying a bigger bike anyway. For the 1100, I plan on turning it into a bad ass bar-hopper. I am also looking at some different styles of handlebars and seats. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 12/11/2011 11:43 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Skinner said...
 I am also looking at some different styles of handlebars and seats. Any suggestions? Thanks again.
Yes. 

Bling it out......or trash it up......to your hearts content but don't F*CK with the engine.
If you do, you are almost sure to be sorry in the end.

And using a bike for "bar hopping" is ...........not wise. skull

And while I'm at it: Loud pipes risk rights.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 12/12/2011 7:16 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yup, I agree. Leave the engine ALONE, no more than you have already done, especially if you want something to ride and enjoy reliably. Sure, the Japanese V-twin bike engines lack the soul of a Harley engine, a Ducati engine, an Aprillia engine or any of the other V-twins that really move us. But, they WORK, all the time and will run for years and years with next to nothing for maintenance. That is, IF you don't mess up why they do work, which MANY people do when they start messing with them.

You really can't expect much more from a V-twin 1100 than what you have already done. Just get a bigger V-twin if your goal is more grunt. The old saying, "there no replacement for displacement" applies here.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

skyremodeling
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 12/17/2011 12:29 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
anyone know carbs? Yamaha 750 XV 1989 Viargo

skyremodeling
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/17/2011 12:32 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
anyone know carbs. 1989 Viargo 750 XV

skyremodeling
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/17/2011 12:56 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
help help

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 12/17/2011 1:53 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
skyremodeling said...
help help
You can help yourself by starting your own thread with the bike model and problem in the subject line...........instead of hiding your question inside of somebody elses unrelated thread.  nono

Not posting the same question twice within 10 minutes might get you a little more respect too.

You're gonna have to have a little patience too; there aren't a million users just chomping at the bit to jump on every question that comes along.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/17/2011 3:00 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Richard comes out with the best suggestion.  After all rebuilding a m/c engine is needing a lot of experience, to the best of tools & this is a long winter project.

I have built a lot of power plants to dramatic work on the front forks & such FORTUNATELY I could use our shop's ramp & we had lots of parts.  Still it was a full winter job even with the head mechanic or someone else giving me a hand of where the one nut taken off with a finger & thumb required two hands to get it started.

Even when testing a bike for a m/c mag I did all the servicing myself, but also had to ask for that extra hand to hold that ruddy nut. 

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 12/17/2011 11:04:59 PM GMT