Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > (No Subject)

Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Tom Austin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 12/21/2011 9:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a 1985 Honda VT700, I rebuilt the top end front cylinder to get the compression up........I now have good compression on both cylinders.......The problem is it still runs like poop! I have put two sets of freshly cleaned carbs on there, and it runs the same. But after removing the deceleration circuit with hoses and diagrams on one set of carbs, and plugging all of the hoses, it does run better! but now it wont idle. It will run good on the high way, but when you slow down it will die........before I removed the deceleration circuit, it would idle pretty good but on the high way it would buck and miss. I have been thru those carbs a dozen times, shot carb cleaner thru all of the bypass jets, pilot jets, and main jets........the carbs look great but runs like poop! I'm thanking about building a intake manifold for a single carb and sticking an after market Makuni on there........I have done it before with good results, but that sure is a lot of work adapting the linkage, building the intake, air cleaner, clearance........etc.

Any help would be great.........before I get radical on it!!!

Richard47
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 12/21/2011 9:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you have only squirted carb cleaner at the jets you haven't done a good enough job. You need to remove the jets and clean them manually, particularly the pilot jets. These have very small holes and are easily blocked beyond the reach of any cleaner. Ensure you can actually see daylight through them. I use a strand from a wire brush, although some will say that is too harsh a treatment, I've never had a problem with it.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 12/22/2011 5:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yup, I agree with Richard. I have cleaned many carbs by actually taking them completely apart and manually cleaning out the jets and passages. After doing that I have never had a carb related issue to keep my bikes from running as they should. Spraying carb cleaner through the jets and passages is a final step AFTER I have done the manual cleaning. I have never relied on carb cleaner alone.

Just by your description that it dies at idle to me says the pilot jet circuit is clogged.  

Also check the resistance of the plug caps with an ohmeter. They should be in the 5,000 ohm range. Anything higher means they need replacement. NGK makes better quality replacement plug caps for less than $10 each.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org