Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > My Buell is dying  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Buellxb12r
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 4

Posted 12/23/2011 10:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello, I just bought my first Motorcycle, a 2008 Buell Firebolt XB12r, my knowlege of how a motorcycle works or (in my case) is supposed to work is very very limited so if you have a response or a possible fix, talk to me like I am four years old. Alright heres the deal. When i went to buy the bike the guy who was selling it, started it right up for me, and rode it around a bit then put it in the back of my truck and i drove it home. The next day i took it to a local place that had a ramp, unloaded it, started it right up and rode it home without a single problem. It sat in my garage for a day then I rode it again. The second ride was great as well, started right up no problem. The very next day I went to start it and it took me a couple of tries to start it and i took off, the bike died a couple of times as i engaged the clutch and i would have to restart. I also noticed that there wasnt a whole lot of "giddyup" when i accelerated. The next day i rode and it had more trouble starting, and died on me essentially every time i stopped and my acceleration was pretty much completely gone. Now i cant get it to start at all, it will turn over and occasionally fire, but it wont start. The mods that the guy i bought it from were a jardine exhaust, and an ebr power commmander, i dont know if either of these things could be the problem or not. Ive also been told it could be spark plugs, fuel pump, or battery. The spark plugs have less than a thousand miles on them, the battery is the original one that came in the bike. I put a brand new tank of premium gas in it with some techron fuel system cleaner to no avail. The battery was kept on a battery tender while the other guy had it, however i had not had it plugged in until it wouldnt start. This bike is fuel injected and has just over 4100 miles on it. The only things i really know about the bike are that the fuel is in the frame so there is no tank, it is a v-twin, and is fuel injected. If you have any suggestions about this or any possible fixes I am more than willing to hear them and try them out. Thanks

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 12/23/2011 10:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Battery.

It's a modern, fuel-injected bike, so it needs good battery power to keep the computer, fuel pump, injectors, etc. working. The stock battery in mine lasted about four years; before it died completely, I had a few issues with starting (and it'd charge up, but not hold a charge well).

Try a new battery--they're pretty cheap, and the one you have is probably near the end of its life anyway.

If that doesn't fix it right up, ask the guys over on the BadWeb forum about it.

(OK, I'm gonna put this in here too, as you say this is your first bike--be careful, a Firebolt isn't what I'd recommend to learn on. Lots of torque, stiff clutch--maybe not so bad on an 08, but still--and riding ergos that make for poor slow-speed handling, make the Firebolt a bit of a handful at slow speeds. I'd much rather see someone learn on something a bit smaller, then come to the Buell as a second bike; it's a great bike, just not one I'd want to learn on.)

06victory
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 18

Posted 12/23/2011 11:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree sounds like your battery is bad. I have seen when the battery is going bad and the voltage drops it messes up the power commander. After you replace your battery if you still have a problem disconect the after market power commander(fuel controler). If that takes care of your problem replace the fuel controler. Don't run to much without the controler. With after market pipes your need the controler to richen up the fuel mixture. I hope this helps you out.

Buellxb12r
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/24/2011 7:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the help guys, i tried a new batterey and she sounds like she wants to start, im getting a lot more life out of her but still wont start. Ill post to the other forum you told me about and try to figure out how to get the power commander off. Do you know of any links or anything that might help with getting the Power control off? All i really know is where it is located.

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 12/24/2011 8:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok, I just noticed now in your post you said it had an "ebr power commander" and a Jardine exhaust.

May well be problems with the "power commander" thingie. I'm not familiar with them, but the bike needs a map for that pipe.

The stock ECMs are programmable, there is a "freeware" mapping program available on the 'net, and you can pick up the cable at American Sport Bikes. But, best to ask the Buell experts on the Badweb about that.

Personally, I find my Firebolt to be plenty loud enough with the stock exhaust can on it, and I've never changed it.

Buellxb12r
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/24/2011 8:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks again, im not familiar with them either, the guy i bought it from said that it controls the air/fuel ratio to improve performance? The only thing i can think of is that maybe if there is too much air in the mix then it wont start? or possibly the spark plugs are fouled? but with them being fairly new i dont know about that? any thoughts?

Buellxb12r
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/24/2011 8:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
oh and also, he had the power command installed but never put on a dyno or calibrated, again i have no idea what that means but thats what he said.

06victory
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 12/24/2011 3:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Your power commander should be a plug in and play so to remove it you unplug the bikes wiring harness from the device then unplug the controler from the bike. Plug wiring harness from where you removed the controler. Now the fuel mapping should be back to a stock setting. But with a performance pipe on the bike you will be running lean. I don't know much about Harleys. But if you have the stock exhaust pipe and you put it back on. you should be good to go. Some fuel remapping can only be done at a dealer. Thats why some guys go to a after market fuel controler. If your just learning your way around on a bike it is always best to start with everything stock IMHO. Try to find a repair manual for you bike and that will help you a lot.

06victory
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 12/24/2011 3:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Also if you put the stock exhaust back on you will need a new gasket where the pipe mounts to the head. And get the torque settings for for the flange bolts or nuts.

Post Edited (06victory) : 12/24/2011 10:48:58 PM GMT