Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > Bike Spluttering on low revs  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jimbo8098
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 12/25/2011 8:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi guys,

I have an XT 600 E (1993) and weve been having some problems with it recently. 2 weeks ago we couldnt get it started. We went through 3 batteries , recharged each one and retried them. The engine was turning over but there was no ignition of the mix but you could hear it TRYING to get it ignited.

I ruled out the carb by draining it using the bottom drain bolt (it was fully cleaned by a bike mechanic 5 months ago).

I ruled out the pulse generator since it was turning over and trying to light. We tried to find a spark but it was too light to check at the time. Also i managed to get it starting the next day so we didnt bother.

We checked the petrol tank tubes werent blocked by taking off the tubes from the carb and letting some petrol run through. solid flow.

I ruled out the sidestand switch (which had been faulty before) because the mechanic who fixed it before cut the cable leading to the switch and bonded the two wires with a soldering iron , covering the bond with electrical tape and sealing it up with a lighter.

I then wondered if it was perhaps the air filter , which is hidden under the seat in the air filter box on my motorcycle (not an aftermarket filter. Sure enough it was manky in there. Dirt , grease and a strong smell of dung from the last owner. Cleaned the area up with some paper towels and cotton buds. Started up first time after that.

NOW , 1 week later. It had been running fine for the time before and nothing out of the ordinary happened , some popping on decel but the bike usually does this. The bike then started to feel... weaker... Not a HUGE difference , but a difference nonetheless. The bike then started to splutter while going round roundabouts. The day it was happening there was a whole lot of ice on the road so i was taking it easy going round , maybe 10 mph. The bike started missing ignition pulses. It was like it was going to stall but my gears were good and there was plenty gas going into it to power it round usually. I brought in the clutch and gave it MORE gas and it seemed to stop. I got off the roundabout and continued on , thinking it may have been a one time wonder.

It wasn't.

Second roundabout , second occurrence.

By the time i got to my destination i thought i had figured it out.

Could it be the choke? So i rode home with the choke on an i rode it the 2 or 3 miles back home. No problemo.

The bike was heated up by the time it was spluttering so theres no way the heat would have had anything to do with it.

Someone suggested to check the choke cable but there is none on my bike (the choke is directly connected to the carb) but i had noticed the choke plunger becoming a little stiffer than usual. I couldnt work out why but at the same time i didnt want to try anything while i was out and about for fear of stopping it in its tracks.

I had a similar problem back when my sidestand switch died but the problem has been fixed ,however i have not checked it again , will check later today , its 3:23 am here, but im almost certain the mechanic did it properly as i watched him myself.

It could be rust in the tank but ive not got the means at present to sort that out (shops are all shut) and even then the tank seems pretty clean but of course rust is to be expected for a bike its age...

so can anyone hint at a solution i haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance :)

jimbo8098

Richard47
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 12/26/2011 2:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's possible for carbs to ice up in cold weather. Maybe the problem is connected to that as you say it was cold when you were riding.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 12/26/2011 4:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jimbo8098 said...
I ruled out the carb by draining it using the bottom drain bolt (it was fully cleaned by a bike mechanic 5 months ago).
While your testing has some validity, I think you are drawing conclusions that are NOT warranted from the simple checks being done.

Good catch on the possible carb icing.......but it sounds like you have a lean condition all the time.

The fix is likely to be a healthy dose of a good carb cleaner, like Berrymans B12 Chemtool, in the gas and going back to a stock air filter.
The difference you noted by using a little choke just means that the choke is working and using it is making up for some other defect.

How old are the plugs ??

P.S.  And while we are on the subject, how's your idle speed set ?
Having it too low will just make matters worse.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600