Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > 09 R6 clutch problems/questions  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Christopherryanshanks
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/29/2011 9:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My clutch friction zone is in the initial squeez of the lever. Other R6's I've seen have the same or very similar friction zone. Mechanic explained that my clutch was burnt out. Is this true or should I not replace the clutch? It has 16,000+ miles

Richard47
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 12/30/2011 3:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can't quite understand what you mean. However, the symptoms of a clutch that is worn out are that when you apply power there is a rise in engine revs with no rise in road speed, clutch slip in other words. If you don't have clutch slip and the clutch disengages as it should the clutch would be working OK and any problems would be with adjustment.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 12/30/2011 12:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Christopherryanshanks said...
My clutch friction zone is in the initial squeez of the lever.
Just taking a wild guess here........
If it has a hydralic clutch, that is pretty common and on most bikes, it's not adjustable.
If it has a clutch cable, you need to adjust more slack in the cable.

That condition alone does NOT indicate a bad clutch.
It may just be something you need to get used to.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

Christopherryanshanks
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/30/2011 4:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have adjusted both the lever adjustment and the cable adjustment for the clutch and where it's at is the best engage and dis engage. Not to big of a deal just trying to get other opinions or held advise

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 12/30/2011 5:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Christopherryanshanks said...
I have adjusted both the lever adjustment and the cable adjustment for the clutch and where it's at is the best engage and dis engage.
Then I guess I don't understand the reason for the question.

The lever and cable adjustments both adjust the relative position of the lever when the friction point occurs.
That is important ONLY to your perception of what feels right to you.
It has nothing to do with the actual operation of the clutch.

Exception: If you have the cable too tight and it doesn't allow the clutch to fully engage........or so loose that it drags when shifting.
Between those two extremes, there should be a WIDE range of perfectly acceptable settings.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 12/31/2011 2:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Something occurred to me as I just read the postings. Do you mean that there is not much lever travel between engaged and disengaged? If that is the case there is nothing to be done, it's just the nature of the beast. 600cc sportsbikes are not noted for their user-friendliness, they are very much track oriented.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner