Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > ttr90 fork seal question  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

gimphand
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/2/2012 1:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have the forks ripped apart and I am looking at the fork seal.  How do I remove the old fork seal and install the new one?  Can this be done without any special tools..

Richard47
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 1/2/2012 3:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I'm not familiar with your bike but looking at pics it seems the forks are the same as other, similar bikes I've worked on.

The seals are a push fit in the fork lowers. You need to remove the dust seals and there is probably a wire 'snap ring' that secures the seal. I have found that sometimes the seals come out easily and sometimes they are very hard to remove. In the first case it will be possible to ease the seal out using an old flat bladed screwdriver, working around the seal a bit at a time. Be careful you don't distort the edge of the fork leg, it's easy to do.

If the seal is too hard to remove with gentle persuasion I resort to cutting as much of the seal away with a sharp blade for a start, then cutting through it (there will be a metal ring under the rubber) using a hand held 'Dremel' tool and a small metal cutting disc. Make sure the leg is held securely and you need to wear eye protection. Don't cut into the leg if you can avoid it. Once the metal ring is cut through the seal will lift out easily. I have in the past used a small chisel to distort the metal ring but I now prefer to cut through as it's less likely to cause damage. 

There are tools available to remove seals, I believe, I've never tried them. 

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

gimphand
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/2/2012 4:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That was my first thought but wanted to post before doing anything since Ive never seen the inside of a fork. Will the new seals just tap in?

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 1/3/2012 1:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They will tap in. I use a suitable size socket wrench as a tool for this. Mind you get the seals the correct way up!

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/3/2012 9:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If your bike has the typical damper rod style front fork legs, getting the seal out of the slider is the easy part. Getting the slider free from the fork leg can be a trick. The slider usually has a screw at the very bottom, along with a metal seal washer. That screw goes through the hole in the bottom of the slider and into the bottom of the fork leg. Turn that screw all you want and it'll likely never come loose. Some tricks to getting it loose:

1. Use an air-impact wrench, which usually has enough quick impact to break the screw loose against the pressure of the fork spring.
2. Use a Hammer-blow style impact wrench, does the same thing as the air-impact without the need for an air compressor. Find one at Harbor Freight Tool, Northern Tool, Sears, lots of place. No home cycle mechanic should be without one.
3. Remove the entire fork leg assembly from the bike. Turn it upside down on a piece of wood. Apply the wrench to the damper rod bolt, and press down hard on the slider to increase the spring pressure against the fork leg, and you "might" be able to turn the bolt loose.

The hammer-blow impact wrench has always worked for me on every bike I have worked on.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 1/4/2012 7:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When the OP posted I assumed he had already dismantled the fork legs, that was the impression I got from the post. However, if Andy is correct in his reading then an air impact wrench is much the easiest way of removing the damper rods, I wouldn't be without mine. Don't damage the Allen bolts as they are a very fine thread and you will have to order them from your dealer if they need replacing.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/4/2012 9:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Now that I look at the OP I could assume he already has the slider off the fork leg. At that point its easy to remove the seal, once the retainer clip has been pried out. In the past I just use a wide large flat-blade screwdriver to pry under the seal against the top of the slider with steady even pressure, no wacking at it with a hammer.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org