Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Garage > high idle on my 2004 Vstar 650 classic  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

douglasjo3
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 1

Posted 1/9/2012 3:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a yamaha vstar classic that has after market exhaust and the karyokin hypercharger. I had a backfiring problem that has been fixed after removing my AIS system and flushing out my gas tank and fuel system. however i am having problems now with my idle. I VE TRIED TURNING THE ADJUST SCREW ALL THE WAY DOWN UNTIL THE SREW ALONG WITH SPRING CAM COMPLETELY LOOSE CAUSING ME TO LOSE THE SPRING. SO I HAD TO PURCHASE A NEW SCREW ASSEMBLY.WHICH I INSTALLLED BUT I AM STILL HAVING PROBLEWMS WITH THE IDLE NOT COMMING DOWN AT STOPS AND NOT COMING DOWN QUICKLY BETWEEN SHIFTING OF GEARS. I DID NOTICE THAT IF I MANUALLY FORCE OR TURN MY THROTTLE AT STOPS THE IDLE WILL GO DOWN TO WHERE IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE BUT THIS IS THROUGH MANUALLY FORCING OR TURNING MY THROTTLE N THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION BUT THIS IS PAST THE POINT OF CLOSED THROTTLE BECAUSE IF I LET IT GO MY DLE WILL RETURN TO THE TOO HIGH MARK. IVE TRIED ADJUSTING THE THROTTLE CABLE AT THE HANDLEBAR AND UNDER THE GAS TANK AT THE FRONT OF THE CARB. BUT I VE BEEN UNSUCCESSFUL IN FINDING A SOLUTION CAN YOU HELP?

Richard47
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 1/10/2012 2:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When you fitted the aftermarket exhaust did you get the carbs rejetted to suit? If you didn't you need to as this is probably the cause of your idling (and misfiring) problems. The inlet and exhaust systems match each other as stock, so if you mess with one you have to get the other set correctly.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 1/10/2012 8:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
douglasjo3 said...
I have a yamaha vstar classic that has after market exhaust and the karyokin hypercharger.
Big mistake.......for several reasons, not the least of which is that bikes that have been "screwed with" by an amateur often don't run right.

A high, unstable idle is often caused by a vacuum leak around the carbs.
The hypercharger itself might cause this if not properly installed.

In your case, it sounds like the throttle mechanism or cables are binding.......or a return spring is missing, broken or stretched.
Or something with the hyhpercharger is binding the throttle.

My advice is to find a stock air intake system first and junk that hyper-crap thing.
Oh, and if those pipes have no baffles in them, I suggest you replace them too......but mostly for a different reason.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 1/10/2012 3:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
your running too rich. they may have over jetted your carbs and if thats the case you may need to get to a shop to get that taken care of. The worst case is that you will need a new carb on the bike. Like easy said, you may also have a vaccum leak on the carb seals. is the hyper charger actually for your bike or was it made to "fit".

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)