Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > Got the finger today because I wouldn't race  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
26 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 5/12/2009 10:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A CBR something, don't know what size, didn't have the sticker, wanted to race. Gave a tiny squirt of throttle, after a little harassment and he blasted off into traffic. Heavy traffic. Went straight and he took the freeway which was packed. At 6:00 PM if you don't want to lose, that is the best time to pick a race. !/4 test an tune is tomorrow, doubt he'll be there. At least he was dressed like Ricky Racer, had on my black leather scooter jacket, Bought by my girlfriend from the Harley shop. Not friend girl.

Ride like you want to make it home

All4Blakey
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 347

Posted 5/13/2009 7:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oddly, I get that sort of thing more from cages than I do from other bikes. In fact, quite frequently if I'm at the front of the line at a stop light, the cage next to me, complete with male driver decides he needs to prove something by getting off the line quicker than me. Keep in mind that I have a cruiser (not a sportbike). I almost always let them go, burn a gallon of gas trying to gun it off the line, and look like an idiot because I start up like a normal, sane person. LOL!

2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic (Mo)
Newbodometer: 4900 miles

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 5/13/2009 1:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sometimes I get the same when riding a sportbike SO I give the impression I am about to take off super fast & actually take off in a slower to normal speed.  The other looks like a twit & in a case or two next to a school the other gets stopped by the police & the ticket.  So give me the challenger of quick take-off & I will put on the imagination that I will do the same.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 5/13/2009 2:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not that I support street racing or anything... rolleyes
But, a few weeks ago, I pulled my Mustang out of the garage to shake the cobwebs off and give it some exercise. It's a very unassuming car by design, so I don't get hassled too much, but it's blown and heavily modified, and is more of a drag strip toy than anything else.

On the open highway, cruising at about 65, I noticed a guy on a Ducati, in the next lane right beside me, bumping the throttle and backing off repeatedly - obviously looking for a race. I didn't notice him at first, because my car is about as loud as his bike was.

Nobody around, and dead straight road ahead, so, what the heck, right? I dropped into third, mashed the gas, and left him in a cloud of roasting catalytic converter smell.

I went about my merry way and forgot about him, and pulled into the next gas station.
While I was gassing up, the Ducati pulled into the station. He stopped and looked at me, didn't lift his face shield, but snapped to attention and gave me a nice salute, and went on his way. The guy at the next gas pump looked at me funny, like "what was that about?"

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 5/13/2009 7:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
At the strip Friday there was an old Ford LTD 1976, a junker by standard, Ran low 10's in the 130-137 range. Don't pick on ratty old Fords. It was stock with one Jeg's sticker in the rear window. Paint was stock and terrible. Sleeper.

Post Edited (Triumph Guy) : 5/14/2009 2:45:29 AM GMT

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 5123

Posted 5/13/2009 8:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mine you missed your big chance TG... Next time get in the launch position, rev her up to about 3K waiting for the light and when it goes green let him go and you can just pull away with the traffic. I love doing that to those idiots...

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 5/15/2009 6:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Going to the track after work. Shortened the swing arm to 6" for traction. Doubt will see Mr. Finger, he wouldn't pass tech anyway.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 5/15/2009 7:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Met Mr. Finger again after the cancel of race today. (Go home at the same time), Stalker?. This time the devil head. Ok, no prob, followed him a distance to at least a 1st gear roll set-up at a light with no traffic in front. Short story, a 3 sec. race from a 10 mph roll. Was a length in front of him then hit the rev limiter, time to shut down and hit the brakes very hard. He was giving the finger to a car in front of him yesterday as the story goes. Turbo doesn't rock and roll till third gear. Left on a friendly note. Freaked the cages behind. Jeeze I didn't do that! His bike was a new CBR1000RR with a Yoshi pipe and who knows what else. Liter bike are not slow until you hit the 150 mark.......................Elderly squid.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 5/16/2009 1:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Triumph Guy said...
A CBR something, don't know what size, didn't have the sticker, wanted to race.
i get that too TG especially on busa and vette.  i've always tried to point them to the race tracks but some just gave me the deer in the headlight look like, 'oh, we're suppose to do this at a race track?' or 'what's a race track?'.

636ADAM
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 2110

Posted 5/25/2009 8:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A kid in a new BMW 335 or 338 i wasn't sure, did that to me last week. I have to admit his car sounded pretty good racing itself.

I find the most annoying thing is when you come up behind someone and move around in your lane a bit, then the fools in front think your trying to pass so they crowd the center line or the shoulder thinking there running a block on ya..(like they could stop me anyway)..or people in cages will go as fast as they can where there is a passing zone and crawl with a double yellow line. For me its usually older guys in pick up trucks. I think they feel threatened or want to put you in your place for whatever reason. The truth is if I want to pass, the car or truck in front of me isn't stopping me unless they kill me or crash me which i understand is a very real possibility with every single car on the road. also exactly the reason when i want to do it i try to do it with precision. I also wont pass someone just to stay in front of them. if I am going I am gone.if not i will stay behind.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 8/15/2011 10:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I first got the FA I was getting alot of that business, but I never took the bait. Well, one time I did! devil  Afterwards I scolded myself pretty good and have not done it since. I don't really get that too much any more now that I have had the hard bags installed. Seems the bags have changed the persona of the bike to the point where it's not an issue now. When I see or come up on a nice vette or something on the road now I give them a Thumbs up and that takes care of it. I usually get one in return and we go on about our day. And for those that still want to race I just smile and let them go. If I wanna do that I'll go to the track. I've had my fill of street racing. Must be something to do with being 50 now!

I do like what Smitty said about suckering them in though. Good one Smitty!  lol

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 8/15/2011 1:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Humm,must be a City thing...No one does this with me.

I guess I could head to the city and see if I could get some action...But I hate the city, so....I'll pass on that and suffer with living in the twisties Bliss.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/16/2011 11:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...

I guess I could head to the city and see if I could get some action...But I hate the city, so....I'll pass on that and suffer with living in the twisties Bliss.

HMMMMM... City full of crazies, or twisties bliss. I think I would choose to "suffer" with the twisties, as tough as that would be!! lol You go, Lou!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/17/2011 1:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...
louemc said...

HMMMMM... City full of crazies, or twisties bliss. I think I would choose to "suffer" with the twisties, as tough as that would be!! lol You go, Lou!

I suffered with the twisties Yesterday,   Went over Ebbetts pass, it was Too Die For, Beautiful.

Had the road to myself, and it was clean and dry.  The agony lol

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/19/2011 9:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

You are a lucky man, Lou! Sounds like a slice of heaven. I haven't been up that way in a long time, and never on a bike. I bet that is the best way to see it, especially this time of year.

I was working out on the local twisties out here yesterday and it turned out to be an obstacle course. Stupid people doing stupid things, including what had to be an idiot tourist who decided to pull out into the road on a blind curve right in front of me. I had to do a genuine (no drill this time, this was as real as it gets) panic stop. The brakes did very well I thought. The ABS system never let the bike skid, I stopped in time (thank goodness) and no damage was done. She never even tried to take any kind of evasive action; she just sat there stopped in the road, watching me come at her with this blank stare on her face. Ironic that GAJ and I where having the conversation on the newbie thread about 4 seconds vision on blind curves. Things happen for a reason I guess.

Tell ya what, if I wasn't a beliver in ABS before, I am now. Saved my butt I think. That and the fact that I listened to a voice of reason... So suffer on, Lou! Be glad yer not here with the crazies! lol

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/19/2011 1:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Been there with the crazies, though. I lived in the Bay area (Hayward and Dublin) then Monterey Bay, so the usual was hit Alices from Hwy 1 direction.

I was so relieved to escape that conjestion/combativeness, with a healthy body.

The one thing I treasure though, was being on the high part of the San Mateo bridge when the Loma Prieta Quake hit. Absolute thrill ride of a life time, and no damage.

Right now, is the prime time to give Ebbetts pass a shot...Both directions, is highly recommended.

They both feel different and look different...Double Your Pleasure, Double Your Fun.

Post Edited (louemc) : 8/19/2011 8:26:15 PM GMT

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 8/20/2011 1:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A stock ZX-10 is twitchy off the line unless you love replacing clutch fibers and steel. The ZX-10 will out corner a 14 with ease and match or beat a 14 stock for stock. Both machines are aim and shoot, corners are not an option past 150. They eat real estate in a matter of a few seconds. Lou, we can turbo that 10 if you want a little more punch. Would have to reclearance the bearings and move the oil filter. 500 hp? More than I can handle. With your wheel base you could do a tripple flip, right now just one summersault off the line. Once you taste power, your hooked. Old Duffers we are,   Grand Kids adore the extra attention their parents didn't have time for, and love to brag about Grand Daddy that never grew up.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/21/2011 7:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ZX Rider said...
A stock ZX-10 is twitchy off the line unless you love replacing clutch fibers and steel. The ZX-10 will out corner a 14 with ease and match or beat a 14 stock for stock. Both machines are aim and shoot, corners are not an option past 150. They eat real estate in a matter of a few seconds. Lou, we can turbo that 10 if you want a little more punch. Would have to reclearance the bearings and move the oil filter. 500 hp? More than I can handle. With your wheel base you could do a tripple flip, right now just one summersault off the line. Once you taste power, your hooked. Old Duffers we are,   Grand Kids adore the extra attention their parents didn't have time for, and love to brag about Grand Daddy that never grew up.

I couldn't handle more punch, in the area I ride.  It's a very touchy game, of keepin it under control, and I'm addicted to that.

Thankfully, the surprize skyshot I got once at landing a total airtime, under power (in a steepclimb) didn't continue into a full flip.  It was too quick for any saving on my part. But thats the rush...playing with the edge.

That's why I won't even bother riding on straight/smooth roads.  To me that is boring and a waste of the tire.

The path of getting jaded...My first bike (650 Triumph, 56 years ago) was such a thrill to go around the block, I'd hop on it to do just that, and park it again.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/22/2011 11:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ZX Rider said...

Wow, this sounds intense. How would one go about moving the oil filter, ZX? I know in some cars I have helped massage, it was a matter of hosing out from the filter fitting and mounting a dual external solution on the firewall. Not sure how you would do it on a bike though. 500 ponies is an amazing amount of power for 2 wheels. Too much for me! freaked

Smooth, straight roads have their place. Sometimes they can be a real pleasure cruise. But that's not usually where the action is! I do enjoy them tho on the rare occasions where I can find them. They serve as excellent twisty connectors... turn

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/22/2011 12:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Straight smooth roads are where normal people are...the normal people are in the highest percentage, that= volume, that = cops having a reason to be there.

The move the oil filter is a requirement to have a place for the Turbo.

Turbo Power is a requirement for getting busy at the drag strips (especially the mile strips) and the Salt Flats.

Useless where the road says it is useless.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/25/2011 2:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Ah, gotcha Lou. Makes sense. 500 HP is a bunch to be sure! The strip and the flats would be the only places you could reasonably leverage it. Ah, the thought of it though!! jumpin

Copy on the smooth, straight roads. Not sure many in that herd classify as "normal", at least around here any more. Normal is a highly subjective term, however!   Hey wait; smooth, straight roads... Turbo... Yea - oh wait... Cops... never mind!! lol

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 8/26/2011 11:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A turbo bike is pretty usless for the street. The ability to light the rear tire, (street rubber), is awesome. When you can drop a few gears and shock the cage that want's to play is priceless. Itty bitty dots in the mirrors in a few seconds.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/26/2011 1:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...

Ah, gotcha Lou. Makes sense. 500 HP is a bunch to be sure! The strip and the flats would be the only places you could reasonably leverage it. Ah, the thought of it though!! jumpin

Copy on the smooth, straight roads. Not sure many in that herd classify as "normal", at least around here any more. Normal is a highly subjective term, however!   Hey wait; smooth, straight roads... Turbo... Yea - oh wait... Cops... never mind!! lol

That's the thing...I hit my personal limit (willingness to go faster/quicker) with the stock ZX-10, at 140 mph.

First, that takes a rare piece of road, that I can see far enough, to know there isn't a cop watching a radar screen, or a possible car/truck driver up ahead, or an animal bigger than a squirrel.

At 140...the bike isn't getting close to tapering off...it is still accelerating at an ever accelerating rate.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/26/2011 1:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Yikes! 140 and still accelerating. What a rush! The Vette used to do that. Funny thing was you didn't feel the speed that much in the cockpit, so you really had to pay attention because you were eating up road at an incredible clip. Haven't come close to that yet on the FA. Don't plan o it either. Did one hard roll-on once on an empty, wide open piece of 280 and the thing is such a torque monster that at about 5600 or so the afterburner kicked in and just like that I was at a buck twenty-five. Needless to say I rolled off throttle, re-settled and rode the rest of the way home with this stupid smile on my face! Haven't done it since, but it's nice to know it's there.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 9/3/2011 12:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I recall when I was just getting comfortable with the XS750, granted, this thing looked pretty ratted out, chromate yellow paint job, K&N pod filters jammed up behind the carbs under the tank, motor burbling away at idle, and me in leather pants, grubby fringed leather jacket, engineer boots, and a white KBC full-face with smoke-tinted visor.

Guy pulls up next to me in some kind of early 80's convertible "muscle" car, he's trying to show off to his wife or girl in the passenger seat, starts revving his engine at the light.

I let him grab a slight lead pulling away from the light, and then showed him what the XS's taillight looked like as it got further and further away.

No way I could pull it off with a real performance car and someone who knew how to drive, though. This clown was just posing.

Most times, I just let the racers take off ahead. Then I leapfrog by as they're getting their Official Time Slip from the local constable!

-------
Don't let Frank see that, or he'll make us put it in the movie.