Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > Rode without a helmet today  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
51 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 7/24/2009 12:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For the first time in years didn't wear a lid, felt naked like just wearing only your underwear to work. Took the Triumph to the Kwak shop and bought an EXO-100 half helmet like the one I purchased for my Grand daughter. Was telling her how miserable hot it was to wear the FF and she just looked at me puzzled. She said her helmet was actually cooler than without. ?????????Ok, so I bought one and she was right! It is cooler than no helmet. The FF is a head cooker, just total h*ll. The sun just bakes your head without some kind of protection, the skull caps would be better than nothing against the sun.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Post Edited (Triumph Guy) : 7/24/2009 7:51:34 PM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 7/24/2009 1:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Your moniker says "Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover."

It's also great at removing chins, noses and any other parts of your head left exposed.

Wouldn't ride without a f/f and if it was too hot, (100F+), wouldn't ride.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 7/24/2009 1:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
From '46 till '65 I did NOT wear even a half-helmet, called "puddin' basin" except in some forms of competiton & sometimes in practicing.  Went to 1/2 to 3/4 helmets after it was compulsory & finally to Shoei FF sometime later on in riding life.  YES a ff helmet is HOT, but man does it every take on a lot of bugs & needs to to be continually cleaned, at the visor eye-section, about three or four to five times a day.

Also a FF can really save a lot of damage to the head, face to even death.

My personal head-wear from '46 till compulsory wearing of helmets in '65 was a tweed cap of betet.  That is what the rest wore though some in the first few yrs wore what we called Gustapo Hats as they were something from the HD people & did look like what they were named by the rest of us.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 9/4/2010 7:47:23 PM GMT

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 7/24/2009 9:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...
Your moniker says "Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover."

It's also great at removing chins, noses and any other parts of your head left exposed.

Wouldn't ride without a f/f and if it was too hot, (100F+), wouldn't ride.
Took the ice water bottle out of the fridge, put it in the back pack after soaking a dish rag. put the rag inside the FF helmet and it worked pretty well. It only reaches 100 degrees maybe 10 days out of the year so the ice rag will most likely be a better choice. The half helmet was a lazy approach to find comfort. It works and has a flip down visor but doesn't offer the same protection as FF. A half helmet would be raising the Murphy odds of going down. Riding without insurance is insurance you will crash. Oh....I'll be careful.....SMACK. My insurance agent was surprised at the number of people who got into accidents a day after the grace period had ended their coverage.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 7/25/2009 12:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Triumph Guy said...
My insurance agent was surprised at the number of people who got into accidents a day after the grace period had ended their coverage.

Been there, done that in College.

That really sucked! confused

colder
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 963

Posted 7/25/2009 9:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I mentioned in another thread, my head used to just cook in my old HJC and KBC and Scorpion helmets, but since my checkbook took the gut punch and I bought an Arai, my head is much cooler. It moves air a lot better than my old ones did.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 7/27/2009 10:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
colder said...
I mentioned in another thread, my head used to just cook in my old HJC and KBC and Scorpion helmets, but since my checkbook took the gut punch and I bought an Arai, my head is much cooler. It moves air a lot better than my old ones did.
The half helmet was a biggie mistake. Rode the Triumph to Erda Utah Sunday to pick up some beef jerky. Would not stay on my head, freeway speed was a joke. Tiny bits of rock and gravel, bugs stung my face. Looked at the FF and examined all the nicks, some where pretty big. The HJC is cheap and hot, for now back to the FF and ice water.

Treefort
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 2468

Posted 8/6/2009 2:04 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Granted it probably has a lot to do with what 'you're' used to, but I spent some time riding in KS without a helmet (usually do FF) and I have to say it made me nervous as hell. Personally, it made my riding worse (I was too CONCERNED with getting hit by a car to concentrate on NOT getting hit by a car.) I won't do it again.

My $.02, anyway.

War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.

Jimmy Carter

or10r
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 15

Posted 8/6/2009 3:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Im the same way Tree, just cannot do it.

One bad decision away from a long stint in an insane asylum.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 8/31/2009 11:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
colder said...
Thank you ever so much for this info. Winter is crashing down again, hate riding in snow.

Asphalt the greatest tattoo remover.

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 9/5/2009 3:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Triumph Guy said...
The half helmet was a biggie mistake.
TG, that must be a hard sentence to write. I think it is a great lesson.

I did my first hiway riding in Florida [helmet optional]. I loved the "wind in the face" at city street speed, but soon found out that the wind was damned uncomfy at 50 mph and above. It is surprising how much solid material is in that wind.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/5/2009 12:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

The basic half helmet, was the ONLY helmet prior to WWII, to also some yrs after it like up into the 50s.  Basically it was a Cromwell (from England) or copy of it, thought just as good being made in the USA.  We slanged it as "The Puddin' Basin".  Still on a normal bike with a set of goggles ALL used back in those days to same in all forms of competition.

That 1/2 helmet was used back so many yrs ago at the start of so many forms of competition to yes the road racing in the 20s so it did its job.  Americans came out with the puddin' basin with a peak on it to a plastic face to eye piece that could be fitted on before they came out with the older 3/4 helmet which we first of all called a "Jet helmet" for it had the best of the material covering the ears as well rather then straps or some leather as the older helmets.

Mind you some of the British started to bolt on a part that helped protect the mouth/jaw & then the Americans came out with the ideal set-up of the 3/4 helmet as used in competition.  The full face helmet was soon to follow.

With a Comwell puddin' basin I would enter all forms of racing & have no problems of it staying on, plus in many cases I started out with two sets of goggles to ward off the rocks, dust to mud from others with a quick switch to the back up goggles that would come into use for a while, but after a while in a dirt race I would pull the goggles down & take all the crap into my mouth, nose & eyes to face itself.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 9/5/2009 9:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are you ever going to be wrong? Well enough.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/9/2009 11:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Certainly I,to am wrong, every once in a while, sometimes forgetting something for 43 yrs or rding is a long time as you know TG.  The helmet matter is one I took note of starting in '47 when I first started to compete in flat tracking.

Found my Cromwell style (did know know the name or what) in a WWII Surplus store.  During practice a chap, later to be one I often raced against, came over to look at this helmet & pointed out this was a Front Line Helmet for DRs, though they just hung them on the handlebars or where-ever on the bike in place of a baret.

He went to some fellow riders to round up a 'used' 7 scuffed up Crowell & traded it for my WWII Front Line helmet.  It was the one thing he did not have as a collection of what he used during the War.

Obviously I have noted all the pros & cons of crash helmets through the yrs.  Even had a Observed Trials Bell helmet that has been in great demand by anyone interested in helmets, but gave it to a rider some yrs ago.  This would be one of many helmets riders are not away of let along that darn Bell full face helmet with a slit in it for seeing.  I tried one on to also ride with it & turned it down as visability was that ghastly.  The B.C. Govt tried to make that Bell slit helmet THE helmet amongst BSI 2000 which was a street bike  riding helmet & not allowed in racing.  The BSI 1891 used for racing was NOT accepted. 

A few letters to the proper authorities scratched the Bell slit full face helmet to the BSI2000 once they realize that many were only a cork shell with vinel on the outside to make them last in wet weather.  A British design for they do have more rain then we do in North America.

This m/c world is pretty darn interesting & something that the majority of cage drivers do NOT understand compared to cage drivers in THEIR world.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 9/4/2010 7:51:32 PM GMT

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 9/9/2009 12:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a halfie, I wear it sometimes for local riding <50mph, if it's hott. Ya', they're pretty useless at speed - they fly up off your gourd and try to strangle you.

Proving the skeptics right since 1967.

Dr John
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 73

Posted 9/9/2009 2:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Somebody put up another idea on another forum that may work. Instead a F/F helmet use a good quality MX helmet. Larger, passes more air and is still created to protect against heavy objects or scrapping along the asphault. It looks "odd" but it is 10 to 15 degrees cooler.

It can look sort of trashy but many 1/2 and 3/4 helmets look similarly.

Just a thought.

I personally ride with a 3/4 with a lift up shield. But I've never had a accident.

John

My Trip to Sturgis

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 9/9/2009 8:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
DrJohn said...
Somebody put up another idea on another forum that may work. Instead a F/F helmet use a good quality MX helmet. Larger, passes more air and is still created to protect against heavy objects or scrapping along the asphault. It looks "odd" but it is 10 to 15 degrees cooler.

Just a thought.

I personally ride with a 3/4 with a lift up shield. But I've never had a accident.
The MX has a visor that I can't lift my head up enough to see. Tried that for about one minute, was blind as a bat. Thanks for the input. What about using the heat from the exhaust to chill water, as in the A/C chillers on large buildings? Low pressure would be a must around the rider which would be the exhaust side of the evaporator. A/C would add considerable weight for a motorcycle, about 30 lbs. Then the new riding gear and many bucks that the average Harley rider couldn't afford. Then unsuit like like a space man or simply unplug the evap hose to your gear, if you have gear.

Dr John
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 73

Posted 9/10/2009 5:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Triumph Guy said...
DrJohn said...

Just a thought.

The MX has a visor that I can't lift my head up enough to see. Tried that for about one minute, was blind as a bat. Thanks for the input. What about using the heat from the exhaust to chill water, as in the A/C chillers on large buildings? Low pressure would be a must around the rider which would be the exhaust side of the evaporator. A/C would add considerable weight for a motorcycle, about 30 lbs. Then the new riding gear and many bucks that the average Harley rider couldn't afford. Then unsuit like like a space man or simply unplug the evap hose to your gear, if you have gear.

I'll admit that I've used it for a time but I modified the visor. my problem wasn't the visor getting in the way of my vision, it was the wind pushing up against the visor.

Now I use a Shoei 3/4 with a 2x normal wieght lift up visor. Still have the MX helmet and use it when I'm going to be traveling fast like an interstates but most time it's not a factor since I don't use a ff anyway unless it's cold outside. eyes

Of course if we're riding in formation I usually use my halfie or nothing since it's safer in a large grroup to know what's going around you. Also , I have to play traffic cop also.

John

Harley is the one until Victory knocks thier doors down.

My Trip to Sturgis

iman501
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 1022

Posted 9/17/2009 5:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
air conditioning on a motorcycle! ha ha i love it!

bikes dont leak oil, they mark their territory

motocraze
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 11

Posted 12/24/2009 6:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Air circulation in helmets are a must as mentioned, the one I use is Arai and it has cool air circulation. I can simply wear it on scorching heat days and drive for long time with ease.

Hellfighter
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 201

Posted 8/16/2010 1:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Used to wear an open face helmet. Bought a full face helmet for those longer rides and it slowly made it's way to become the only helmet I'll use. I will never go back to an open face helmet. The full face lowers fatigue, wind, helps my hearing and stops a lot of the elements from being introduced to my face (although I silly little bee did manage to sneak into my full face helmet when I had the visor slightly open and he made my helmet smell like honey which made for a real sweet ride home). :)

On Iron Horse He Gladly Dies

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/16/2010 10:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Gunning down the half helmet & all you have to do is look at some older photos or Road Racing in England or Europe to see all use to wear half helmets which tells you they were properly fitted for their heads & as for eye problems that was taken care of with the best of goggles in those days plus they used a mouthpiece to not such in bugs or the cold when racing.

You never saw Mike Hailwood road racing with a full face helmet, other then a half helmet as so many of the others like Geoff Duke, Daniel, Graham, Artie Bell, Firth or all the others in those days.  Yes these were my heroes to also name all the dirt comp factory riders with half helmets.

I am referring to shortly before WWII in 1938 to after WWII when all forms of racing was restarted in 1947.  Do not be surprise that I read or heard of the above for I was riding m/cs in '46 & come '47 I was into dirt competition of where I HAD TO wear a crash helmet, but did not use it on the city roads or the hwys.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 8/16/2010 5:41:32 PM GMT

Longshot
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 117

Posted 8/19/2010 12:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What color is the helmet? I've always used silver with a silver iridited visor in the hot sun and it's always been bearable even at 95+ temps. I can imagine black would get much hotter...

Ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth!

13806 mi. on Newb-dometer

stanly
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 319

Posted 9/4/2010 11:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smitty said...

Gunning down the half helmet & all you have to do is look at some older photos or Road Racing in England or Europe to see all use to wear half helmets which tells you they were properly fitted for their heads & as for eye problems that was taken care of with the best of goggles in those days plus they used a mouthpiece to not such in bugs or the cold when racing.

You never saw Mike Hailwood road racing with a full face helmet, other then a half helmet as so many of the others like Geoff Duke, Daniel, Graham, Artie Bell, Firth or all the others in those days.  Yes these were my heroes to also name all the dirt comp factory riders with half helmets.

I am referring to shortly before WWII in 1938 to after WWII when all forms of racing was restarted in 1947.  Do not be surprise that I read or heard of the above for I was riding m/cs in '46 & come '47 I was into dirt competition of where I HAD TO wear a crash helmet, but did not use it on the city roads or the hwys.

Smitty: we know u r just slightly younger than dirt, but there are pics of MH wearing a FF helmet on various roadracing bikes. His site shows his career as starting in 57. I'm NOT knowledgeable enough to match the photos up w/a year/race.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/4/2010 12:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

You could be right Stanley for in the latter yrs he might have  woren a ff helmet & some of the others the same, but in the early years, right after WWII you did not see Jeff Duke or so many others even some yrs later on with more then a puddin basin.

After some yrs I stopped seeing photos of some of the top British road racer & only Americans in AMA events.  Even the 3/4 helmet was not the best to obtain to use that grew up in the days of Cromwell helmets.

Then do remember I was specializing in Observed Trials when helmets were not compulsory till it came to be so & then I shifted to a Bell made for Observed Trials use though things have changed since, but not FF helmets thankfully.