Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > Rode without a helmet today  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
51 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ghunt81
Finally cruisin'

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 517

Posted 9/10/2010 10:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have two different half helmets, have worn both on the highway at 70 mph and neither ever felt like it wanted to lift off my head. Maybe I had them cinched down really well. I've also not had too much of a problem with things hitting me in the face, until the other night- seemed like there were 3x as many bugs out as usual. Half helmet weather is declining rapidly here though.

Also, I actually tend to feel more fatigued in my full face! It pushes in on my cheeks which causes me to clench my jaw all the time, and before too long my jaw starts to ache and it's very distracting. I need to just pitch that helmet and find a new one that fits better.

'08 V-star 1100 Midnight Custom- Roadburner Street Lites, pods, jetted
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'94 Ford F250 4x4 diesel
'78 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin-sold
Morgantown, WV- Home of the Mountaineers!

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 3/31/2011 10:00 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GHunt: You need to find a full face helmet that fits and 1/2 helmets have lousy protection and have a tendency to slide off your head upon impact. If you're gonna wear a helmet, wear a full face - and not these integrals either. An integral helmet has never been SNELL approved.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 7/1/2011 12:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is great stuff, guys. I know for me I started out on a FF and will always wear that style. I would rather be a bit hot than unprotected. It just seems to make sense to me. However, I did not know about the air flow features of the Arai helmets. I have been looking at getting something in the Carbon Fiber category, but the more I think about it I think I'm going to change direction, save a bit more coin and purchase an Arai. Not to 'Diss my Shoei, but the advanced feature set of the Arai and the way you can adjust the fit is too hard to ignore. Sure they are VERY expensive, but how much is your head worth? I would venture slightly more than the cost of the Arai!  yeah

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 7/4/2011 11:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Raptor,the arais fit is top notch. Shark also very good. Im dying to try an x lite,they look the business but hard to find here in the U.S.,same thing with the shark.I have a agv ti tech 2 which flows well and fortunately fits the noggin like a glove. Not OJs but fits good.lol Cool thing about the agv is the vents 3 positions,open, half and closed. In 3 places, around the crown,low in back,and in front of the mouth. Good luck in your hunt for your new lid,let us know what you go with.  

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 7/8/2011 9:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Copy that , SID. It is interesting that you mentioned the AGV. It just so happened that I was prowling around in my local gear shop recently and saw an AGV GP Tech there. Out of curiosity I gave it a try and was pretty impressed with the fit, finish and quality of it but was not crazy about the graphics of this particualr model. So AGV is definitely on the radar. I think the contenders will be:

1. Arai RX-Q or Corsair V, which ever fits better
  2. AGV GP Tech
  3. Nexx XR1R Carbon
  4. Akuma Phantom II Carbon
  5. Shoei X-Twelve

It will be interesting to see who comes out on top!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/5/2011 3:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Well, Update on the helmet search!

I went into my local gear shop and tried on every Arai they had. And I'll be darned if not one of them fit my noggin correctly! Corsair V, RXQ, Profile, none of 'em. No real pressure points to speak of but my nose was touching the breath guard and it felt like the visor was right up against my face! I didn't like it. I reckon I just don't have an Arai type of head. Oh well. Then I tried on the AGV GP-Tech. Great helmet and fit OK now, but when it breaks in it will be a bit loose. And the guy said that there is a BIG diference between the L and the M so the medium won't fit. So AGV is out. They didn't have any Nexx or Akumas to try. Too bad too because I really wanted to try that Phantom Carbon.

So I'm lookin and I see a Suomy Spec 1R extreme. So I figure "what the heck, give it a shot". Oh baby, what a nice fitting helmet this was! It was very light, extremely comfortable and I liked the visor setup. Looked really nice too. I wore it around the store for a while to see if anything was going to come up fit-wise. NADA! This is a nice lid, man, and it is now on the short list. I just don't know enough about the product yet to determine if this is the one for me.

Also tried the Shoei Qwest. Hated it! It didn't look right, it doesn't vent well, and I see no benefit to this lid over the RF-1100 I already have. Then I tried the X-12. This thing fit like a glove. Absolutely perfect right out of the gate. The graphics offerings are pretty impressive, the new airfoil makes this helmet better from an aero standpoint than the RF-1100, and the materials inside seem to be a bit better as well.

So the Nexx XR1R Carbon  is still in the chase, the Akuma Phantom is still in it, the X-12 and the new player, the Suomy Spec 1R Extreme. It's hard picking a new lid man! There are so many choices. So for now I'm gonna get a new liner for my RF-1100 and buy some time until I can sort this thing out. The 2 carbon fiber candidates are looking strong right at the moment, but that X-12... Now my head hurts!!  smilewinkgrin

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Post Edited (RaptorFA) : 8/5/2011 10:36:08 PM GMT

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 8/6/2011 11:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This might be hard to find,but try a Shark. Nice lid. Did you have a qualified sales guy help remove pads and adjust the arai? Never heard of someone who didnt fit in any of them. First for everythinng though.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/6/2011 5:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Honestly SID, we did not try dfferent internal parts etc. I guess I just got frustrated and did not pursue it further. I just couldn't understand why every single model of Arai made me feel like the visor was right against my face. And my nose was touching the breath guard. I just didn't like it. And then to turn around and have the Shoei fit the way IT did made me think that I just didn't have an Arai head! I mean, I don't have enough experience with helmets to know the more technical aspects of fit etc; I just know how things feel when I plunk 'em on my noggin!   :-)  

I'm gonna find out more about the Shark for sure. I also saw a Carbon Fiber lid from a company called Vemar that looked pretty darn good too. Kinda pricey though, $750.00, but the X-12 is all of that, so there ya go. I really didn't want to spend that much on a lid, but I don't want to wear junk that's not going to protect me either.

As I write this, I'm also kinda frustrated because NOBODY out there has the liner for the Shoei RF-1100. No one seems to have them, and I can't even get an ETA on one. So the Shoei is parked for now. Suddenly that X-12 is lookin reeeally good... In the mean time, my trusty EXO-1000 is performing well, so I'll be OK until we can sort this thing out.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Post Edited (RaptorFA) : 8/7/2011 12:38:02 AM GMT

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 8/6/2011 11:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My bud has a vemar loves it said he felt it was quiet as well. definitely worth a look.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/7/2011 9:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Once at Barber, we went to an ARAI helmet class, lesson. Here's what we got out of that:

..> Buy a helmet that fits your head. Trust me, the manufacturers make helmets for different shapes of heads, egg-shaped for example. The lower priced helmets basically makes one helmet shell and then pad it up to fit. You said your nose got too close to the face-shield, that's a sign. ARAI is one of few that makes shells to different head-shapes. Momma Hen and I was in the market for new helmets, and this demonstration fellow from ARAI picked different helmets for our different heads, then padded up from there. This guy was good, he really was into his job and also said that ARAI does not cover all different head-shapes so Shoiei could be another choice. Quick release, quick change of visors are important. That little red, normally, tie on the strap for quick release, has to work.

--> Another school of thoughts, says a helmet is a helmet. To certain level, I agree, proven in crash tests. I got a couple of ZR1s the brand and helmet that won Motorcyclist's extensive helmet test and $89.95 at the time. I could ride 2 hours with that helmet, then my forehead was in pain. Helmets went back. Again, it has to fit your head.

--> So, when you have found one that really fits, it's all about whistles and bells. The ARAIs has a decent air flow, just bear in mind that the more air, the more holes you make in the eggshell, the more noise comes in. Even the most expensive helmets can'f fix physics.

--> Important for me, besides mentioned, is to be able to see as much as possible, I wanna "wide-screen in HD". The clarity of the visors are mostly all good, it's when the nature comes on an pour humidity. Leaks, fog and durability to stand up and clear for the crap thrown up from car tires, oncoming vehicles, etc. These new fog free visors are great.

Anyway, take your time and find "your heads helmet".

RedDog

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/8/2011 10:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Many, many thanks RD and SID. I will indeed take the time to get the right one. I try to make the best choices I can with all of my gear, but the helmet to me is by far the most important. We'll figure it out for sure. Will let y'all know how this turns out!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/8/2011 12:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You're welcome!

I fully agree, helmet is choice #1 when it comes to protective gear. Have you been to Cycle Gear or any shop that has a solid portfolio of helmets in stock and stuck your head out?

RedDog

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 8/9/2011 9:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...
I'm gonna find out more about the Shark for sure.

I do like my Shark...

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/10/2011 9:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RedDog said...
You're welcome!

I fully agree, helmet is choice #1 when it comes to protective gear. Have you been to Cycle Gear or any shop that has a solid portfolio of helmets in stock and stuck your head out?

Yessir I have. I believe that you can buy many things online, but when it come to the helmet ya gotta put it on (unless it is a trusted brand that you already know about fit-wise etc). That's how I came to be so impressed with the Shoei X-12. When I put this one on I just went "WOW!" Funny thing was it was a medium, not the large I usually get. I had to take it off and check it twice just to be sure! And then I put it back on and went "WOW!" again. I guess when something makes you go WOW you should stop messing around and go with that! I think it's the price thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

In the mean time, the guys at Road Rider here in San Jose pulled a rabbit out of their hats and found a liner for the RF-1100! hop  These are very cool people and Road Rider is a great shop. So now I'm well positioned and can take the time I need to save the required coin for that next helmet. Still gonna look into the Shark just to make sure I've covered the bases. This process is frustrating and fun all at the same time!  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/10/2011 11:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like the RF is good for now as your search goes on. It also sounds like you have a Shoei head. You are probably also aware that you can change pads in some of these helmets in 1/4" increments. Kind of neat.

I also take the pads out from time to time and wash them. Seems to give them new life.

RedDog

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/12/2011 10:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks RD. I was not sure if you could actualy do that with those or not. To look at it, it did not look like the washable type. When I get the change-out done I'll wash the old liner and keep it as a back-up. Always good to have spare parts!  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/12/2011 10:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey now, this is not a hot wash in the washing machine, though some people talk about a 40 degree fast spin.

I am talking about soaking these pad in luke-warm water with a dash of Dawn, wash gently with hand, then rinse and dry them away from the strong sun.

RedDog

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/12/2011 12:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh yessir, that is exactly what I had in mind. I didn't figure these would fare too well in the washing machine! :p  Always good to clarify things, though, just in case. We newbies can do the strangest things... smilewinkgrin

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 8/15/2011 9:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Ok raptor I have found your new lid,boasating blue tooth,cooling etc. Possibly the most advanced helmet anywhere for any thing.

http://www.thermahelm.com/

Oh forgot to mention it is over a grand,worth a look though,it is way advanced and possibly the next level of protection every rider is screaming for.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/21/2011 10:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Amother brand to check out. AGV has always made great helmets:

http://www.revzilla.com/product/agv-sport-gp-tech-multi-helmet

RedDog

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/22/2011 9:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I do love the GP-Tech. I wish I could find one in Med. and just see what happens whn I try it on. The Large just seemed like it would get loose after break-in.

SID, WOW Dude! What a lid, man. I agree, it could be the next step in helmet tech. On top of the feature set, turns out it's a pretty great looking piece as well. I'm going to see if I can track it's progress while I'm saving my pennies and see how the narket is responding to it. I am intrigued, though... Great find!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/22/2011 12:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are so many features and whistles and bells out there ...

Stick to your guns and add just what you actually need, starting with safety, sight. view, comfort ...

RedDog

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/23/2011 9:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

RD, you are correct, of course. It's quite easy to over-think this thing. And I have decided that unless I know the product already and how it's going to fit I am NOT buying online. I want to see it, touch, try it etc.  It may limit the field somewhat but that is OK. I have 2 great local stores in my area that have a good selection so I am in good shape there.  The X-12 is still the front runner, but I want to give the Qwest a shot as well. I looked past it the last time and probably should not have. It appears to be more of a tour type build for riders that are more upright and it is reported to be very quiet.

SID, have you checked out the thermahelm in any detail? I went there yesterday and gave it a look. If the diagrams and the pics of the scantily-clad bikini model wearing it (have no idea why they did this as I don't see the connection!) are accurate this thing is HUGE! You'll look like Stilsky McNoggin goin down the road! lol  So the buzzer sounds on that one and it won't advance to the bonus round!

I have to admit I am getting a good education on helmet buying so this process has been a good one. I want to thank you guys again for humoring me and giving solid input.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 8/23/2011 10:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Didnt notice them....lol  Yeah its a big helmet. I was thinking more along the lines of Dark helmet from spaceballs but yeah,big.  Still interesting though,wreck and it cools the brain,a good idea. Give it some time it'll come around I think.
heres a sample....

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 8/23/2011 1:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What about an ice water cooled helmet? Very simple to design and the gaps in the helmet could easy to take a 4mm or 1/8 inch plastic line. A small 12v water pump could circulate the water from a simple ice bag. There are medical connectors that won't impose a disconnect problem in a crash. Dry ice and insulators would add to the effect. Dry ice in a crash could be an issue. Hot helmets have been my bane for years. Thanks for any input. Helmets are like females, can't live with them or without. Helmets have been a big issue for many years like seat belts.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Post Edited (ZX Rider) : 8/23/2011 8:24:33 PM GMT