Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > to Split or not to split  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
35 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Smitty
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 3/30/2011 12:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

To any of you in California State or in similiar bumper to bumper traffic NOW you know why I took a liking to small towns & away from the darn traffic.  Even on foot I HATE crowds of people.

True GeoffG went through a lot in the crazy Greater Vancouver, but for some time now he is away from  the above unless forced to travel due to his line of work.

He has a lovely bit of acerage, a good sized home along with an almost barn like garage & the cities are some distance from him. 

Every once in a while I go up on the Kootneys that Geoff lives in for really they have lovely roads & traffic is very considering that if you are scooting along faster then most a driver will pull to the side & wave you past.  Definately what your bumper to bumper traffic will do.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

MichaelD
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 658

Posted 4/3/2011 2:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
lionlady said...
Illegal in Maryland. And I've heard some real horror stories about "retaliation" from cagers against riders who're filtering or even lane splitting. Such as someone sticking a broom handle out a window, etc.

P

I wouldnt advise lane splitting here in central Ks for the same reason of some moron opening a door on ya or something stupid.
On the other hand if someone did do something like that to me or anyone else on a bike that was splitting safely and I saw it they had better hope Im incapacitated to where I cant move or Im claiming self defense after I rip there head off. To do a ignorant thing to harm a person in that way would be as bad as pulling a trigger. Im no hot head but just the thought of a broom stick or any other object harming a rider changes my attitude completely.

In God We Trust, All Others Must Submit Objective Evidence

South Central Kansas

Post Edited (MichaelD) : 4/5/2011 1:14:17 AM GMT

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 6/22/2011 1:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I live in the S.F. Bay Area, and I do not lane split. I don't think I ever will, as I just don't think it is safe. Like gone in 60 said, cages out here don't seem to have too much of an issue with it, and many will pull over and give you room. I was one of those. Heck, I even pull the bike over so that a fellow rider can have a hole to escape into if he or she needs it. But I personally just never liked the idea because I have seen what happens when things go wrong, and it's a mess. I've decided that I'm not in that much of a hurry to introduce that kind of risk into the equation. But that is just me and the decision I have made. I'm obviously not comfortable with it, so I don't want to be that guy, the dumb*** that doesn't know how to do it right and get into trouble! :p

Many guys I ride with on the highway in the morning do, and I think that's fine. They are real pros, and we wave at each other every morning as they go by. I admire the skill. It's just not for me, and that's OK too.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 6/22/2011 1:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's the thing Raptor, to spit the lanes safely, there is an astounding amount of Mental processing going on, in the scanning of changing spaces and speeds, and gaps,and paths, involved.

I doubt very much, if a very high percentage of California Bikers between the lanes, are splitting safely...but are really just getting by, with luck, that they haven't gotten caught at getting caught, Yet.

Just like everything else in bike riding...Professional training and working at what was taught..is the way
 (like cops do it).

Self Instruction, is a study in...the one doing the "see if I can get the hang of it, instruction...doesn't know what has to be done" Method.

It's a science, and a discipline...but...when it is done right...it's safer than being between the bumpers.

And when it is safely done...(that involves knowing what to look for)  it doesn't matter if the driver of a car, just came from Kansas or a rice paddy in asia...You the biker have to look at every indicator of every driver...You have to know what that driver can and can't do.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 6/22/2011 8:41:17 PM GMT

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 6/22/2011 2:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Copy that, Lou. Excellent points as always. It's cool how much you can learn on this site!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 6/22/2011 2:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...

Many guys I ride with on the highway in the morning do, and I think that's fine. They are real pros, and we wave at each other every morning as they go by. I admire the skill. It's just not for me, and that's OK too. 

That works well for you R/FA. As Dirty Harry said, "A man has got to know his limitations."

And not trusting cagers works for me, too.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 7/14/2011 2:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Well, I did my first split a few days ago. I didn't really want to, but on the way into work I got this idiot cage behind me that just wanted to tailgate. Traffic was just stacked and barely moving and this guy was just way too close for my comfort. I tried various things to get him to back off (stuff they told us in class) but he just wouldn't. I didn't want to get mad and cause a scene; I just wanted to get away from this guy so I started studying the cars ahead of me on either side to get a handle on their movements, posture and so on. They were keeping station well so I eased over to LP3 and sure enough the person in the car directly in front of me eased over to the left a little and gave me a bit better of an opening. I took a little breath, stayed relaxed, rolled just a tiny bit of throttle and slid right on through! I was pleased and thought "that wasn't so bad". I slid by a couple more cars and got back into my lane when the appropriate hole opened up. Mission accomplished!

I do not plan on doing this much moving forward but at least I got a little taste of what it was like so that the unknown aspect of it has been eliminated. And I got the jerk off my tail! I guess it's true that you should never say never...  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 7/14/2011 5:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Getting the jerk off your tail was probably the best argument for splitting, if you can do it safely. Let him rearend a car, not you and your bike! You studied the movements and posture of the cars you were approaching - that's great, that's what you need to be doing to split safely. You'll start to pick up visual patterns, like cars weaving slightly as the driver does a head turn prior to a lane change. You can scan side windows and mirrors for hand positions on steering wheels, or hands going for the turn signal lever, etc.

Even if you don't make a habit of splitting, you know you can employ the practice if you've got a driver staying too close on your tail. You also found out that there are some cages that will help you pass safely!

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R & 750 Nighthawk

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 7/15/2011 9:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Copy that, Sir! It was a good thing to get that first split under my belt. Riding in traffic situations can be very interesting and educational. Your senses become very sharp and you start picking up on queues from other drivers quicker and quicker from the very obvious to the very subtle. It's almost like you start to know what other drivers are going to do before they do. You guys have made some excellent observations about the art of splitting and it helped a great deal. So thanks to the members here for that! I think staying relaxed and not over-thinking it also helped. It's all part of the path to becomng a good rider. I have a drill that I thought up last night to add to my parking lot slow speed excercises that I think will enhance what I learned the other day. You never stop learning it seems! 

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Post Edited (RaptorFA) : 7/15/2011 4:34:20 PM GMT

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 9/3/2011 12:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I lane-split daily when I lived in Norcal. Don't DARE try it down here in Tex-ass, though.

For those that are contemplating lane-splitting as a lifestyle choice? I offer this.

Buy a Headlight Modulator Kit, Install It, Use It.

Loud pipes may make cagers notice you, but low-frequency sound is hard to locate. Also, those megaphone pipes blast to the REAR... the cars you'll be concerned with are in front of you, and may not hear / place you until you're so close that it doesn't matter. The headlamp modulator puts a very noticeable (to the point of aggravating) flashy thingy in people's mirrors, so that they see you coming. They're more apt to move aside to let you through.

As for retaliation... I did have someone purposefully 'crowd the line' to keep me from getting by. Problem is, he did it in full sight of a CHP moto cop... who then proceeded to pull him over to explain why what he was doing was a Bad Idea.

-------
Don't let Frank see that, or he'll make us put it in the movie.