Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > to Split or not to split  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
35 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Oldest Post First ]

Meanie_Intruder
Posted a Pic of a Man Thong

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2099

Posted 6/29/2010 2:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Though, California makes it legal to do so, reason being to reduce traffic congestion, to my understanding, it's not very effective. Overall, I think it's an unsafe and a somewhat stupid practice, mainly due to the other idiots on the road. A rider is trapped and asking for an accident when the driver of another car suddenly veers in your lane without any indication. To add to it, many drivers become irate when they see this practice from riders and therefore, deliberately change lanes to stop them. I can understand a complete standstill traffic, but not while moving traffic is occurring. Also, if it's against the law in your state, which I believe it is in most, you're breaking the law. But I'm no law abiding saint, so knock yourself out.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people"

louemc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 6/29/2010 2:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The riders that made bad lane splitting decisions...isn't a "it's not the safest thing you can do on two wheels" problem.

It's the Dumb Ass, that doesn''t know how to do it right...problem.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 6/29/2010 12:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For my daily commute, the ability to lane split is one of the main reasons I ride a motorcycle to work, and to daily appointments around Orange and L.A. counties. It saves time, and sanity.

For me, the decision to split or not is completely a matter of assessing the situation I'm in, and where I am.
On my regular route to and from work, I know where traffic will slow down, and where cages start "hunting" for lanes - as interchanges come up, etc.
Therefore, I'm fairly "programmed" as to where I can safely split, and where I should back off and stay in my lane. I even also know areas where squids tend to split unsafely, and have learned that this is where CHP motorcycles prowl for them, so I ride accordingly.

When I'm riding to an appointment, on freeways that I'm not intimately familiar with, it's just a matter of assessment. At speed in a lane, I glance ahead as far as I can see down the freeway. If I see brake lights ahead, I can assume that cages will sense upcoming traffic, and start diving back and forth to try to get in whatever lane they think will be the fastest. I'll stay in a lane while this is going on as traffic slows, (watching my mirrors), and when traffic gets to a crawl, I'll look between lanes and assess:
- Do I have enough room between lanes to safely fit?
- Are the cages acting "fidgety", weaving back and forth like they are planning lane changes
- Is there something coming up that would make cages want to make quick lane changes (car pool lane openings, freeway interchanges, etc)

As I split a lane, I'll glance from car to car on both sides as I approach to check for signals that the driver might do something sudden, or to see if they are drifting one way or another. A lot of attentive cage drivers will move over a bit to make room.

I cover the clutch and brakes in case a quick slow or stop is needed, and keep an eye on the mirror to make sure I'm not holding up other bikes who might want to split at a faster speed. In that case, I'll duck between two cars to get out of the way, and then let them "plow the road" so to speak and get back in behind them.

I've seen riders make bad lane splitting decisions and get hit, and while you can be as careful as possible, it is still not the safest thing you can do on two wheels. However, as long as it's legal, I'd much rather split where it's safe than sit in traffic with the cages.

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 6/29/2010 9:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Johnie said...
Didn't know that it was outlaw'd in other state.. huh..

Any ways yeah I am only "splitting" or filtering when traffic is <5mph... But there are still some crazy drivers out there. Wondered what other riders thought about driving in a space that is just a few feet bigger then the bike, dealing with the constant wondering about clipping or slamming into another car.
Ride now or regret later.

I'm not wondering (constant or otherwise), about clipping or slamming into another vehicle.

I see the space, and what another vehicle can (or can't) do.  There isn't any problem, when you know what you're doing.

If you don't know what You're doing, you're playing Russian Roulette, a total crap shoot Gamble on your safety.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 6/29/2010 7:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Johnie said...
dealing with the constant wondering about clipping or slamming into another car.
If it makes you nervous, you probably should NOT be doing it.

The most important point is to keep the speed differential DOWN.....to ~10 mph.
If traffic is at a dead stop, that would mean you going only 10-15 MPH.
IF you are not really good at keeping a steady line at that low a speed......see line 1 !!

The think that kind of buggs me.....and I haven't been around it THAT much lately.....is that riders seem to get in the habit and do it just as a matter of course ALL THE TIME, even if it doesn't really gain them anything much.

Johnie
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2010
Total Posts : 3

Posted 6/28/2010 9:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Didn't know that it was outlaw'd in other state.. huh..

Any ways yeah I am only "splitting" or filtering when traffic is <5mph... But there are still some crazy drivers out there. Wondered what other riders thought about driving in a space that is just a few feet bigger then the bike, dealing with the constant wondering about clipping or slamming into another car.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 6/28/2010 6:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Obviously you are from the State of Calif., for in the rest of the States to all provinces you are NOT allowed to do any lane splitting.  One of those darn rules & regulations we wish we did not have.

Also for a second or so I thought the heading was "To spit or not to spit"---thinking this will effect tobacco chewers. 

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 3/29/2011 7:30:22 PM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 6/28/2010 10:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's legal here in California and when I used to commute, I'd do it regularly but I'd stop as soon as traffic started to get much beyond 25mph and I'd keep my speed differential well below 10mph.

Often let "faster" splitters through as I don't believe in "gap blasting."

The worst "gap blasters" around here are guys with minimal gear on loud cruisers.

I think they mistakenly believe their loud pipes provide them with a halo of protection.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 6/28/2010 7:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Johnie said...
Traffic often is stopped and I find myself splitting lanes all the time.
Where do you live ??

If it is NOT in an area where splitting is common and not illegal, I think you are just being stupid.....and will pay the price sooner rather than later......either with a ticket or a trip to the hospital......or both.

While doing it, you damn sure better have ALL your concentration on what is coming up ahead.....and/or what could come up ahead.

When the other traffic is stopped...or almost so, I think the term most often used is "filtering"......which is somewhat different than "lane splitting" when the traffic is moving.

Johnie
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2010
Total Posts : 3

Posted 6/27/2010 9:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I love ridding as do many of us.. but find that I spend the majority of my time ridding to and from work. Ahh commuting.... Traffic often is stopped and I find myself splitting lanes all the time. freaked

How many of my counterparts out there do the same thing?.. what do you think about when splitting the lanes? A sudden car lane changing, or a mirror swipe, or what is for dinner.....

Food for thought...