Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > Commuting with a Noob  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 2/10/2011 9:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hope this guy made it to wherever he was going this morning.

Doing my normal morning commute on the freeway, in the left slot of the car pool lane. I'm in an area where there's a two foot gap between the sets of double yellow lines separating the car pool lane from the left hand regular lane of the freeway. I usually ride the left slot to give room to faster bikers so they can pass me easily.

Looking in my mirror, I saw a biker coming over from the right, crossing the double yellow to get into the car pool lane. Risky, as CHP bikes patrol the area watching for bikers crossing the double yellows and not waiting for the dotted "enter/exit" area of the car pool lane like a car would have to do. My initial thought was that they guy was a CHP, so I kept an eye on him.

There's nobody in the car pool lane in his area, but the guy rode along in the two foot gap between the car pool and regular lanes. I thought that was weird. OK, maybe still a CHP.

Then the guy moved fully into the car pool lane, accelerated, and pulled up on my right side and sat next to me. We're both going 70 or so at this point. Looking over, I can see that it's a brand new Ducati Monster (still had a paper dealer plate), with a young guy riding. I was watching him to see if he was trying to signal me for something like "something is about to fall off your bike", or maybe it was somebody I knew, otherwise why would he want to ride right next to me.  He wasn't looking over at me.

I slowed to get away from being right next to him, but he slowed as well, and stayed next to me. At this point, I hear an engine revving behind us. It's a guy on a Ninja, wanting to pass us both. There's now a big gap to the car in front of us, so I sped up, hoping the Monster would drop in behind me to let the Ninja go by. But, of course, the guy on the Monster did as well. and stayed next to me.

This frustrates the guy on the Ninja, so he just crosses the four yellow lines and goes around both of us. This apparently pisses off the Ducati rider, so he accelerated to "go play" with the Ninja I guess. I'm still going about 70, and within a minute, the Ducati, splitting traffic at about 85-90, was over the horizon.

Good luck buddy!

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 2/10/2011 12:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Had me for second there Gone, I was hoping you were mentoring. Sounds like a lack of proper riders etiquette. Paper plates, sheesh,stay away from the paper plate brigade,Ive seen newbs with paper plates around here ,9 outta 10 times doin something stupid. At my local shop last year saw a brand new r1 in service, paper plate, tail section straight in the air. Wrecked it the night before, purchased the a.m. before. Unreal part was this was his "first" bike. At least you made it to work. Now do the same good job of getting home. Cheers

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 2/10/2011 12:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Riding next to another bike is a very dumb idea, as you point out.

The only thing you could have possibly done was to accelerate or slow dramatically and get out of the car pool lane to lose this dummy.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 2/10/2011 1:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I had something similiar but not as close for sure.  I was on a four lane road & had seen a bike coming up behind me from some distance back.  There I am stopped at the red light & along comes this chap on a goldwing to say "Nice day isnit?" to another Honda rider expecting a "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"

I answered with "You cannot ride in the same lane as a fellow rider" his dumb answer was "I know that" so told him "you are in my lane NOW so keep yourself well back".  THAT seemed to cool him & he did on his way back through this small city to even when I pulled into my small town.  Probably another Kelowna rider.

On has to keep away from others for you never can tell.  THAT is also if I am at a shop &  someone recognizes me & says he will ride home with me & my answer if polite,   "Sorry but I have to visit a friend in this town" killing the idea of riding with someone else in front or behind me.

We had an election the other night at the gun range & told them being 80+ yrs of age it is time for me to have someone take over, after all I held that position since '74.  That is when the President said to the chap that was voted in "You will have to give everyone a dirty look & growl when advising them, just like Smitty"  So guess that has been me for many years.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 3/10/2011 5:50:16 PM GMT

Treefort
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 2468

Posted 2/14/2011 1:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Inexperienced riders make me nervous. Inexperienced riders who think that the fact that because we both ride necessitates that, should we meet, we ride side-by-side irritate the he** out of me. This being said, I often wonder if some of these folks simply don't know any better. In fact, I'd go as far as to posit that some new riders try to ride side-by-side with fellow motorcyclists because this behavior fits into their schema of motorcyclist camaraderie; in other words, they are so excited to be riding that they, wanted or not, will do anything and everything to ensure that they are seen as part of the collective and engaging in the behavior of same.

Just my $0.02.

War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.

Jimmy Carter

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 3/10/2011 6:17 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm with Treefort on this, and the paper plates indicate this is a newbie that wants to show everyone his ride. Also, a newbie who is not aware of proper riding etiquette. In other words, you DO NOT ride side by side, univited, with a stranger. Its just stupid and rude. I don't ride side by side even with some of the highly trained riders I DO know, let alone some stranger out to play with his new toy.

I would have gotten out of the lane and separated myself from the newb. If that didn't work I'd change my route.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

kamo
1100 Honda saber

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 2061

Posted 3/10/2011 12:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Distance makes the heart grow fonder and older.

Kamo 07 1100 Honda Saber Candy Black Cherry. East Alabama If you need a smile, just turn the key and ride!

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 6/27/2011 2:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hear what you guys are saying. It was impressed upon very early on that this was NOT a good thing to do! I took that message to heart and I'm glad I did. In fact, being a newb I do my best to stay out of everyone's way; I don't think my kaplundering along is something that the seasoned guys wish to take part in! lol  I'm getting better though, so my kaplundering looks less like kaplundering and something more like riding now, so it's all good.

When you are a newb you have to know your place. So if you study hard, do your drills, follow best practices and take your time the skills and even good interactions will come. I had a great time on Friday on the way home as a couple of other bikes formed up behind me right out of the blue. These were guys that no doubt had earned their stripes but did not seem to mind the paper plate my new bike was displaying. I was a bit nervous at first but that quickly gave way to excitement so I took station as lead in LP1 and just relaxed, held station (I selected a speed that the others seemed to like as they established gaps, positions and locked in) and we three-shipped it for almost 15 miles! eventually one and then the other broke off and went on their way but it went well and it felt kinda nice to have a bit of company.

As I continued on I couldn't help but smile a bit. I had fun, I didn't make any dumb mistakes and learned a bunch. And the journey continues...

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

roderickluise
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2011
Total Posts : 4

Posted 7/20/2011 1:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
but if we want to drop speed suddenly , what we can do apart from break application.