Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > Riding in the rain  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
28 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 3/16/2011 6:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can sing in the rain, dance in the rain, riding in the rain on a motorcycle is just plain no fun. There many times that it can't be avoided such as long trips. An exposed air cleaner is a no no for the motor. Road spray from cars plays heck on vision as well as cars with trashed out wipers. On a safety scale, if there was one, it might be 3 out of ten,for the Brits maybe a six, ten would be the best of conditions. Snow, rain, heat, cold, windy, heavy traffic, bad roads, critters, What's your input? Heavy traffic #1 in my book, two lane roads #2. Green lights and stop signs #3. don't mean anything except you died obeying the law.

Asphalt the greatest tattoo remover.

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 3/16/2011 9:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have thousands of miles in the rain, probably around 20,000 mile of rain riding. With the right gear, right attitude and skills its not that bad really. I certainly would never let rain deter me from an extended ride. In fact, in most cases, once I am geared up for the rain ride, I usually ride farther than I had intended to ride.

I don't use any Rain X products, I only use a nice heavy coat of buffed out paste wax on my windshield and face shield. I wear good rain gear, waterproof jacket, pants, gloves, boots, and simply take it easier/smoother in the rain and wet.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 3/17/2011 3:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great point about the paste wax andy. It imho works better,longer. I prefer meguairs,but really any paste will do. I need better rain gloves but havent reasearched any yet. Riding in the rain is fun. Better than driving anyday.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 3/17/2011 5:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Haven't rode the Gold Wing in the rain yet, but it looks pretty protected. Usually I only have to twist my head to let the wind remove rain drops off the visor. The roads in Utah are heavy in content of salt and the road spray is sometimes like a brown can of spray paint in your face. Heck on plating and cleans the chain somehow getting past the o-rings.
Andy VH said...
I have thousands of miles in the rain, probably around 20,000 mile of rain riding. With the right gear, right attitude and skills its not that bad really. I certainly would never let rain deter me from an extended ride. In fact, in most cases, once I am geared up for the rain ride, I usually ride farther than I had intended to ride.

I don't use any Rain X products, I only use a nice heavy coat of buffed out paste wax on my windshield and face shield. I wear good rain gear, waterproof jacket, pants, gloves, boots, and simply take it easier/smoother in the rain and wet.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 3/17/2011 6:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Yet riding in the rain can be tricky.  For instance best thing to do is once it starts raining is pull over to some dry place & once it has stopped to where you have allowed 20 minutes to by the stopping THEN you can start to ride.

After the rain there seems to be some oil that is lifted up to the pavement you are riding on & so the reason to wait 20 minutes till the rain is over.

Believe me it become more then interesting if hail starts to come down.

Anything painted on the road be it in yellow or white is a quick take-down of you are cornering.

Also a lot of crap comes from all forms of cages in front on you so do not be behind an 18 wheeler or deliivery truck, to even a truck with a canopy as they all throw up so much crap.  So pick a normal cage to follow, but stay back a bit more then normal.

Your vision will be a problem & best to obtain something that is WATERPROOF when riding.  Always remember after coming home with the rear chain still hot then time to apply the chain lube for the rain will have washed off a lot of he prior chain lube, unless you are riding a BMW with a shaft drive.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

ChrisVTX1300S
2003 VTX1300S

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 534

Posted 3/18/2011 3:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One of the funnest times I can remember is riding home from a motocross race on July 4th weekend a few years ago. "0%" chance of rain for the weekend so we left our snivel gear at home. Six bikes, all two-up about half-way home on a 300 mile day. About 1pm, it gets real dark and starts to sprinkle. Flood gates let loose about 20 minutes later and we rode about 100 miles home in the rain.

It was all about attitude. We'd had a great weekend, and we weren't about to let a little rain ruin it. It helped very much that it was about 90 and the rain was warm. The best part was riding through the last town before we got home. They had just got done with their 4th of July parade in the rain and we come rolling down Main Street right behind it.

03 VTX1300S - Orange, V&H Big Shots, Darkside, Brake Away Cruise, Kuryakyn Cruise Pegs, ISO Grips, Magnum Mirrors, Light Bar
cdmckane.wordpress.com
Need Amsoil/Mother's/NGK products? Get them here.

47rider
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 8

Posted 3/19/2011 7:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I also has a trip that started out as a nice day in September, many years ago ( over 30 yrs ago ) my buddy and I were going to Boston and he backed out for whatever reason I can't remember. As I said it stared out nice but by around 9PM it started to get cold and rainey and I only had a cheap thin rain coat. I got so cold that I started to draft a simi truck for warmth, being about 6 feet from the back of a simi and moving at 60 plus I kept swinging out so he would know I was there, and I sure hoped he liked bikers. when I left him to stop for food and warmth I was so cold and my hands shook so much that I could not hold a cup of coffee. I continued on my way for a great trip and the weather got much better the next day.

47 Rider

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 3/19/2011 11:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

A few years ago I was hit by a mean downpour & was coming to some downhill twisties.  So the rain water along with hail was coming from the right side.  So also being downhill I had to hit the rain/hail dead on like a railway line SO that I would not have the front end start to go to the left & go down on me.

Yes rain & hail can be like that ESPECIALLY the hail.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 3/25/2011 6:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rode the scooter yesterday in heavy rain and sleet to get Bob to FG#1. It was only a 35 mile trip but I was wearing full winter gear. The Kawasaki race jacket, inner liner, full face with scarf, and the boots with leather insulated chaps. Double lined gloves still made the fingers numb.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 3/26/2011 12:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Electrics TG, electrics.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Fish.
Doesn't Really Talk Much

Date Joined Mar 2011
Total Posts : 112

Posted 3/28/2011 3:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I had my first ride in the rain today. I REALLY need rain gear. With what limited stuff I own my upper body stayed dry, but my boots and jeans got soaked. Lame. I'm hitting a local shop tomorrow to go look at gear. I didn't have any issues with the bike. I took it slow and didn't lean a whole lot, took it easy around the curves. I was smooth and eased on the clutch. I made sure to stay off the painted surfaces and sewer covers and what not.

Looks like I'll get my rain practice in this week:
30% Chance of Rain Tuesday
60% Chance of Rain Wednesday
60% Chance of Rain Thursday
40% Chance of Rain Friday
The weekend looks to be mostly clear.

"When the people lead, the leaders will follow." - Gandhi

ArcherPeter
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 3/31/2011 10:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
good post, thanks for post

I usually structure huge goes, because principally I cognize it is in-full one of the manners to cultivate sequels of my professed study. I not commonly indict favorable term papers attentively; I receive for this particular tutoring, which can generate me with indeed combined cheap term papers privacy. I should say very my protected ordered affects are decent. Especially I like contemporaneous literature wholly, which is in-depth used by touching writers.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 3/31/2011 10:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fish: Buy rain gear big enough to have decent protective gear under, plus you check that you can move and bend in it.
Flexibility is king here. Stretch too, so you know that the arm are long enough. If you by breathable rain gear it helps, too
tight will increase the moisture from inside.

RedDog

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 4/1/2011 10:10 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So fish Ive been watching the weather. Did you ride through that hail,wind,tornado,weather? It looked pretty crazy down there on t.v.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Fish.
Doesn't Really Talk Much

Date Joined Mar 2011
Total Posts : 112

Posted 4/3/2011 8:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I shopped around at a couple of local stores and ended up with the Frogg Toggs Road Toad for $60
I got a size Large and it fits great over my normal riding gear. I went with the Sundown Orange color for visibility.
I still need boot covers though. My boots are not waterproof and I can't afford to upgrade my boots. Tour Master boot covers are $20, I just have to wait for them to get a shipment of my size in.

Wednesday I did not ride through the stormy weather. My buddy and I worked the same shift at our job that day so I just rode with him in his car.
Thursday, however, I got to put my new rain gear to use. Daytona Beach did not get hit nearly as hard as some of the other cities and counties nearby. We got a lot of rain, but hardly any damaging winds. No tornadoes. The gear kept me dry, but it was only lightly raining during the times I was going to and from work. I got lucky and all the nasty stuff came down while I was working or at home.
I lost power Wednesday evening for about an hour and a half, that's the worst it got in Daytona.

"When the people lead, the leaders will follow." - Gandhi

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/3/2011 9:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lots of riders are talking positively about them Froggies. They are light and they breathe.

RedDog

MichaelD
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 658

Posted 4/3/2011 9:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I love riding in the rain. I prefer a one piece rain suit. If properly geared up riding in the rain is extremely enjoyable. Its funny to see people looking at you like your crazy or some actually have this thought of pity thinking its not where you want to be or what you want to be doing. Slow down and take it easy and enjoy the ride.

In God We Trust, All Others Must Submit Objective Evidence

South Central Kansas

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/3/2011 9:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ditto that!

If we don't like it, take the cage. But you will, sooner or later, have to face the rain - embrace it. More to learn for example to be smooth. If you aren't, you figure that out soon, in the rain.

RedDog

PowerG
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2006
Total Posts : 1248

Posted 4/3/2011 11:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have Frogg Toggs, they work great but they are pretty stifling if it's a hot day and the rain quits. I put on the bottoms the other day (mine are the bib type), it was looking like rain, had the top handy in the tank bag. The temperature was low 80's I guess, I was pretty sweaty after 30 minutes. They do block the wind almost completely.

If you live in the Deep South you might as well come to terms with riding in the rain, and be prepared. It's going to happen. I enjoy it too, as long as it isn't dark.

2007 V-Star 1300 

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/3/2011 12:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
PowerG said...
I have Frogg Toggs, they work great but they are pretty stifling if it's a hot day and the rain quits.

Why do you use the rain suit when the rain quits? Roads wet?

Any ran suit will be super hot in hot weather, thus sweet as a tight layer when it's cold thus I have my suit in the trunk or bag with me all the time, for rain or cold.

RedDog

PowerG
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2006
Total Posts : 1248

Posted 4/3/2011 2:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RedDog said...
PowerG said...
I have Frogg Toggs, they work great but they are pretty stifling if it's a hot day and the rain quits.

Why do you use the rain suit when the rain quits? Roads wet?

Any ran suit will be super hot in hot weather, thus sweet as a tight layer when it's cold thus I have my suit in the trunk or bag with me all the time, for rain or cold.

Not only wet roads, but in the summer you might pass through heavy rain, be back in the sun for a while, then back in the rain. It's pretty common for afternoon popcorn thunderstorms to come up almost out of nowhere and rain like hell for a little while without really cooling it off much. I just don't like stopping and putting on and taking off rainsuits while trying to get somewhere, but it's a choice between getting wet from rain, or getting wet from sweat, or stopping.

2007 V-Star 1300 

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/3/2011 2:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We got the same up here in AR. Sometimes I do something I never dir before: Not using a rain suit. The water has a smoothering nice cooling effect on our tight leathers and last for a bit. I just increase the treatment cycle.

RedDog

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 4/12/2011 11:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Triumph Guy said...
Haven't rode the Gold Wing in the rain yet, but it looks pretty protected. Usually I only have to twist my head to let the wind remove rain drops off the visor. The roads in Utah are heavy in content of salt and the road spray is sometimes like a brown can of spray paint in your face. Heck on plating and cleans the chain somehow getting past the o-rings.

I totalled out a perfectly good O Ring chain in one day...riding in a Deluge of biblical strength (couldn't actually see the other vehicles, they were just a darker shade of grey).

When the "wash" washes past the O ring seal, and the internal lube is gone, nothing is going to get lube back in there.

I love riding in the rain though, as I love challenges.  Taking you beyond the normal experience.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/12/2011 11:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Riding in the rain makes you smooth which is always a sweet issue to master besides reducing helmet-head-banging when you ride 2Up.

RedDog

Robarre
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 191

Posted 4/21/2011 10:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My very first MSF course was held in the cold drizzle of November......Till then I was fearful of riding in the rain. With a good rain suit it is not a problem.
I rode my bike every day last summer and was caught in an unexpected shower on the way home from work.....My two piece rain suit let me keep rolling with no problems, it is big enough to wear over my other gear of course! So rain doesn't stop me ......If you are on a long trip you should be prepared for it.

'04 Kawi Ninja 500R