Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > Riding in the rain  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
28 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 6/6/2011 7:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I enjoyed riding in the rain only one time in my life. I was coming back from memphis tenn during early august a few years back. it was 110 degrees with the heat index. it rained pretty heavy and the temp dropped to the 80's. All of a sudden that ride suddenly became a lot more fun.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

wrath186
There's something in your eye. Here let me get it

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 880

Posted 6/7/2011 1:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My friends and I were on our way to AmJam in Ny about four years ago when we got caught in a downpour.  I didn't have any rain gear and if you've every been on Intersate 81 in that area you know that bridges and dry spots are few and far between.  Well we decided to tough it out.  It was pouring and at 45-50mph it was not fun. We figured that because it was so heavy we'd ride through the storm line and just pass through the other side.  We rode in that stormline for about an hour, hour and a half.  It was crazy.  I've never seen it pour so much for so long.  It's what my dad would have called a gully washer.  Anyway we finally had to stop because we were soaked and frozen to the bone.  Pulled in to a small strip mall in a CVS and used their bathroom to dry off and change. We hung out there for about half an hour and then it stopped and we went on our merry way.  I agree with Smitty, trucks were speeding like it was a sunny Sunday afternoon, smaller pickups were moving at a breakneck speed too and you have to keep an eye on your corners.  It was one hell of a ride.

so I drink it... 

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 7/8/2011 3:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My first rain ride I will never forget. It was late October 2010, my mother had just passed away and I was coming back from Dad's house just south of Shasta to the Bay Area. It was very cold that day and there was already some light ice on the road. I was on my Spyder. I don't even remember the first part of the ride home but when I got to I-505 the sky just opened up. The only thing that made that ride tolerable at all was the fact that I-505 is 35 miles long, pretty straight and has very low traffic volume in comparison to the freeways it connects to (I-5 and I-80). It was the perfect place to experience foul weather for the first time. And I was anticipating this weather so I was already geared up. The rain just hammered me as I made my way south to I-80 but I didn't even care; that is until the first hydroplane ocurred. That got my attention. From then on it was an abrupt lesson in learning how to employ proper technique to stay safe. I never even thought of pulling over. And I learned quickly how to be extra smooth, keep the revs down, short shift, and so on.

The rain continued the whole rest of the way home, and I-80 got really gnarly because of decreased road quality and bad traffic. The trucks were by far the worst aspect of it. But the Spyder held up well and the lessons learned that day were quite valuable and have stayed with me ever since. Rain doesn't scare me any more, but you can bet that I give it the respect that it is due. I know I am just a newbie but the things that others here are saying about being extra smooth resonates with me; I found that to be critical in every foul weather scenario I have encountered since. And having the right gear. If you don't have the right gear things will get miserable (and dangerous) very quickly.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe