Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > Interesting Road signs on L.A. Freeways  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 4/19/2011 12:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This isn't specifically motorycle related, but it's trying to reduce "distracted driving", which helps us motorcyclists. Recently, on the freeway message boards around L.A. and Orange County, the messages read "Texting Ticket: $159 - It's not worth it". Another that I saw this morning says "Handheld cell ticket: $159 - It's not worth it". Not that it will change the way people drive, but a nice effort!

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R & 750 Nighthawk

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 4/19/2011 4:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gone in 60 said...
This isn't specifically motorycle related,
Nor this:  In my travels in the past year, I noticed one state had started putting signs next to bent guard rails before they could get around to fixing them: Hi-vis orange sign that says: Caution, damaged guard rail.

I didn't think much of it at first but then later..............sure, if my car is out of control and skidding off the road, I'll try to MISS the part of the guard rail that is already damaged !!!!

No surprise that some government workers are dim and dense.  Illinois recently put up some road signs on a route I travel often to warn of road work ahead.......TWENTY-TWO MILES ahead.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 4/21/2011 10:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

In the Kelowna area of B.C., they are thinking of these glossy road sign signs that go on & change.  The RCMP are totally against them for they are eye distracting to anyone driving a m/c, cage, 18 wheeler or you name it.

While the city of Kelowna have said NO to them unfortunately on the west side of the Hwy 97 are many of the Indian reserve terrain & believe me they will want them for MORE MONEY.

Nothing has come up or been said of it lately, but with the RCMP being against anyone with more then .05 breath test, to texting machines to cellular phones for all is making it UNSAFE to drive a cage due to being stupid with the booze to distraction when driving a cage.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 9/3/2011 1:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Got word of a new cell phone app that:

- silences the phone
- shunts incoming calls to voicemail
- autoresponds to texts with "I'll get back to you later, I'm driving"

Kinda nifty, that.

My worry is all these GPS devices in the cars. Last thing I need is some boneheaded fool swerving from left lane to exit lane when the Electronic Nanny says "Exit on the right... NOW."

-------
Don't let Frank see that, or he'll make us put it in the movie.

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 9/6/2011 10:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I saw a similar app for sale at Fry's recently. It's designed to keep teen drivers (or anyone for that matter) from texting/talking while driving. It ties into the GPS function on the phone, and when the car is moving, texts and calls are blocked. Might be a good thing...

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R & 750 Nighthawk

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 9/6/2011 11:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gone in 60 said...
It ties into the GPS function on the phone, and when the car is moving, texts and calls are blocked. Might be a good thing...

It should be a mandatory thing. eyes

I'm so old I remember a time when nobody was so "important" they need to be in touch with everybody every moment.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 9/7/2011 4:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well enuf ,the same holds true today,nobody is that important. Just that good old american,Im more important than your safety attitude. Should be mandated on all phones. I've seen all sorts with the gps this year,u turn directly in front of me,left to right lane changes,round about disaters. Technology sucks when idiots are involved,so when the general population is made up of mindless zombies,slaves to the technology,you get wrecks,close calls etc.  

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 9/7/2011 5:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's what is great about motorcycles, like being in the shower, "can't take that call, I'm in the shower!" Or, "I'll call back, I just stepped out of the shower!"

On a cycle, it's much the same, "riding now, more important than answering any calls, I'll call back when I'm done riding."

That is why I simply CANNOT accept being able to answer a cell phone (via Bluetooth) in your motorcycle helmet. I makes NO sense to me at all. For one, I don't care how quiet the bike or helmet are, you still have a lot of noise around you, so the call will not be as good as when off the bike. Also, when I am on my bike, it is totally MY time and I will not be answering any cell phone call, via Bluetooth or not. I'm with Well Enuf, there was a time when life was allowed without the immediate need to contact anyone anytime. Perhaps that explains why things seemed less stressful then?

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 9/7/2011 6:00 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thats funny andy,just got an email from a freind involving one of those blue tooth in helmet deals,The header was "Is nothing sacred anymore?" lol. He went on about how this was an intrusion on his time as well. Stupid. No need.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 9/30/2011 1:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One of the 'features' of the helmet headset I'm getting is Bluetooth connectivity.

I'm considering NOT pairing up the phone to it - instead, I'll connect it to the GPS.

I would like to be able to override the phones/SYNC systems in passing cars, so I could tell them how much of an idiot they were. :D

"Lane splitting will never be accepted in those areas where driving is considered a martial art."