Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > Silly Cager  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

wrath186
There's something in your eye. Here let me get it

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 880

Posted 6/29/2011 7:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It is a beautiful day in Northeastern PA and I decide to ride to work today.  It's a bit cool outside, but my Kawi starts up no problem.  It's a Vulcan 800, which is important to know as they tend to be a bit cold blooded.  I let it warm up a bit while I do my preflight check, I gear up and I'm off. 

The road I'm taking is a pretty steep one that levels out and then goes further up.  It's a 25mph zone and it notorious for being staked out by cops.  They love to pick off the squids that like to pull tricks going up the hill.  It's about 7:15am and not a lot of traffic.  I pull out onto the road and proceed up the hill.  I'm doing about 30mph to get up the hill and warm the bike up.  I check my mirror and there's an SUV pulling up hard behind me.  For that hill, it's flying.  I move up to 35mph, but I'm not willing to go any faster, just in case the cops are out.  This person pulls up to me and starts to tailgate.  I check my mirror and it's a woman on her cell phone, drinking coffee.  I would have pulled over, but there was an intersection coming up and I figured that if she followed I'd pull over after I cleared the intersection. 

We're on the hill now at the stop sign.  It's a three way stop with oncoming traffic not having to stop.  I have my signal on and I've stopped with tailgate girl right on my fender.  With the intersection clear, I let of the brake and begin to pull out into traffic, that's when it happened.  I stalled.  The bike probably wasn't warmed up enough and I didn't give it enough gas, it happens sometimes.  I pull in the clutch and go to restart.  That's when I remember tailgate girl.  I check my mirror and she's sitting there shaking spilled coffee off of her hands and looking down at her lap.

The only thing I can assume is that when I started to go she was right there, then realized I had stalled and had to jump on her breaks, spilling her coffee all over.  When I completed my turn, I checked my mirror again and she was still sitting there cleaning up.  lol

Just once, I'd like to be a puppet master and have nothing go wrong.  Is that too much to ask?

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 6/29/2011 8:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ha ha! you are extremely lucky however. Usually you get punted from behind. At least it was humorous. Sounds like the cager was the I'm going to tailgate no matter what speed the person in front is going. Morons.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 6/29/2011 2:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

El Sid is right, More often than not in that circumstance you get hit. Why is it (and I am NOT being sexist here, it's just the truth) it's always the women with the darned cell phones? Before I got the FA I was on my Spyder and this idiot woman in her SUV, spewing forth into her cell phone almost got me from behind when the flow of traffic got bottled up. I actually had to bail out of the lane onto the right shoulder. She was so oblivious she almost hit the car that was in front of me! smhair By the time she did stop she was basically next to me. I just sat there giving her the look of death (my visor was up so she could look right into my eyes!) and waited for her to do something. But she just froze, Deer in the headlights look, wouldn't move, wouldn't do anything. Being done with the situation I just shook my head, re-entered the road, jumped two cars over and left her sitting. No way was I getting behind her again!

Glad you made it out OK, Wrath. That is one of my fears that most newbies such as myself have; stalling in traffic on difficult terrain. It can play tricks with your confidence in a hurry! I spent considerable time getting to know the friction zone of both rides and so far it has paid off.  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Post Edited (RaptorFA) : 6/29/2011 9:22:32 PM GMT

wrath186
There's something in your eye. Here let me get it

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 880

Posted 6/29/2011 7:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Raptor, stalling is a rite of passage. When my friend and I decided to learn to ride he went out and made the error that most people make; he bought the bike before taking the test. It was a Vulcan 750, which most can tell you is pretty big for a beginner. Well, we tried riding around a parking lot, but spent most of the first two days starting and stalling. We stalled it so much he had to buy a new battery!! Anyway, as you ride more and more it'll happen less and less, but it still happens from time to time. I like to think of it as your bikes way of telling you that it can still surprise you.

el Sid, I agree. When I finally stopped and thought about what happened I realized I was very lucky. I probably can't play the lottery for six months now. I figure that's how much luck I used up.

Just once, I'd like to be a puppet master and have nothing go wrong.  Is that too much to ask?

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 6/29/2011 9:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Copy right of passage, man! I have had the baptism! I even did it once in class. I'm actually glad it happened because you learn pretty quick how to deal with it! You know what's really interesting about certain parts of the slow speed regime is that there are alot of things going on and you are processing all these different motor skills and forces and it's easy to get tight but you just relax and connect to the machine and then things start clicking. 

I know that sounded kinda newbie-ish but well, I'm a newbie! The process of learning this art of riding is fast turning into a way of life. Life is good... 

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 9/3/2011 1:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My coworker told me about some bonehead eating a bowl of cereal while driving in commuter traffic.

So he overtook Cheerios Boy and then did a brake check.

Hey! Milk all OVER the windshield!

Worst I've personally seen was the man reading a newspaper and driving by Braille at 60mph (course correction whenever he felt the tires start hitting Botts Dotts).

-------
Don't let Frank see that, or he'll make us put it in the movie.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 9/3/2011 8:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey,I saw cereal boy here as well. Couldnt believe it.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 9/15/2011 2:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cereal?!? Holy smokes! freaked I have seen some crazy stuff out on the road, but that is a new one on me! It really makes you wonder what is going through these fools' heads. Apparently not much...

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe