Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > success with noise at freeway speeds  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Phil B
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 126

Posted 7/12/2011 8:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Apologies in advance for the long writeup: hopefully, it will prove useful for those who experience a lot of noise at freeway speeds.

First off, my gear:

Suzuki gs500, scorpion XDR commander jacket, shoei Qwest helmet, foam earplugs.

I just recently started riding on the freeway, and the increased noise levels "blew me away".
I was really pissed off about my supposedly "quiet" Qwest helmet. Even with earplug, the noise was in no way at safe levels.
I found that by hunching up my shoulders, it became managable. So I figured, "Okay, air must be coming up under my ears.
I need a windjammer or something".
(I do already have the chinguard mesh thing that shoei provides with the helmet)

But, it turns out I already had an alternative.

The XDR jacket, comes with a removable "Storm collar". Interestingly, it is rarely shown with it in web stores, but it's an additional riser level for your neck, presumably for extra cold days.
(Aha. found an image actually showing it:]:

)

Turns out though, that it can function just like a NOJ Quiet Rider.
Except better, because no back vent, so I'm guessing it's even quieter
:p

Now, the interesting thing is, I had previously hoped it would act like that; however, I had *removed* the thing, because riding around at blvd speeds, 40-50mph, it seemed to make no difference.

But, happily, I gave it another try today on my ride into work. and at freeway speeds... it worked like a dream. I could actually call my helmet "quiet" now.

BTW for anyone looking for a new jacket: this is a slightly older version; scorpion has come out with a newer version of it. so the OLDER version of it, is on "closeout" in many places.
$340 jacket, going for $199. If you're looking for a high-vis jacket, I thoroughly recommend it. With liner, it will keep you warm most anywhere.
Remove the liner, and it's comfy even in california weather.
Has elbow and shoulder armor, plus a light back pad built in.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 7/12/2011 12:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Phil B said...
Apologies in advance for the long writeup: hopefully, it will prove useful for those who experience a lot of noise at freeway speeds.
Good writeup.  One of MANY solutions to noise problems.
The first step is to identify the source of the noise; that is, where is the offending air coming from.
My last noise problem turned out to be a warped face shield that wasn't sealing good.

Phil B
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 7/12/2011 1:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Funny you should say that... I got a replacement face shield(smoke).. direct from shoei, not 3rd party.. and it was whistling a bit too, on top of everything.!
But it seems to have settled down, thankfully, after about a week of sitting on the helmet in perma-close position.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 7/12/2011 5:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

A rough looking at the jacket & to me it seems ideal.  This is better then one that exposes your waist when riding.

I have some really old jackets like Barbour & Sons Waxed Cotton (these are 100% waterproof to also mud proof as they were also designed for dirt competition Factory Riders, mainly in the UK). I purchased back in the 50s to the mid 60d, to also a Joe Rocket Ballistic I purchased around the 90s with a zipper in liner for cold weather & up here in the heart of the Canadian Rockies one is often going over mountain passes.

Do have some lighter ones by Malcom Smith Racing that were made for dirt competition for pavement is another story of survival.  Even some dating back in the 60s, but again for many forms of dirt competition. To even several ONE PIECE Observed Trials suits that were used by British competitors back in the late 60s.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 7/14/2011 12:49:44 AM GMT

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 7/13/2011 7:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For noise you might also try a windshield, assuming your bike doesn't have one (don't know if it's a GS500E or GS500F.) If it has a shield already, try a slightly taller screen.

Martin

Englewood, CO (Denver suburb)

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

Previous Bikes:  '69 Honda CL450; '74 Honda CB750; '83 Honda 550 Nighthawk; '92 Yamaha Virago 1100; '83 Yamaha Maxim 750; '84 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD; '01 Triumph Thunderbird 900; '82 Kawasaki Spectre 750

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 7/14/2011 6:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wind noise on a motorcycle, other than a Gold Wing with a patio door sized windshield, is "managed" at best but never eliminated. I have been riding for almost 40 years and never eliminated the noise issue with any of the bikes I have ridden. Some were better at reducing the noise than others. Most that were ok had some form of fairing/windshield. In most cases, even on bikes with windshields, I had to get fairly close to the top edge of the windshield, and just below it, to be in quiet air. Aerodynamically a bare motorcycle/rider is about as slick as a bus with all the doors and windows open going through the wind.

Glad you found something to help you manage your airflow, because that is what noise reduction is about.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Phil B
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 7/14/2011 11:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yup, definately not "eliminated" wind noise. But its gotten rid of the wind *inside* my helmet at freeway speeds, which is the crucial thing :D
It wasnt really that big of an issue until I got on the freeway and hit 60-ish.

Now that I've gotten rid of the inside noise.. there's still the issue of outside noise. (Even with nice foam earplugs!)

With my Qwest helmet, and the small windshield on the GS500F, its actually not bad at 50-60.
70 is kinda borderline. BUT.. this morning, all traffic was going at 80mph. And let me tell you, it is an issue then for sure.
So I decided that tucking, when being forced to 80, and in a "safe" area, is how I'm going to have to "roll".
I now notice that most of the sportbikes coming the other way are doing the same thing.

It's an odd new experience, when I'm now HOPING for someone to be driving slow in front of me in the carpool lane ;)

(also, aside from the wind noise, the mpg is a little annoying. I was averaging 56mpg doing surface streets. but now 52mpg using freeways.
So much for the typical old street/hwy difference when driving a car :D )

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 7/14/2011 11:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey Phil,dont know if this will help you but it helped me. My brother and my father are competitive skeet shooters and have ear plugs molded to fit inside of their ears. Intrigued I went and got a set made for myself. This pretty much eliminated all of the wind noise inside of my helmet. You could try a local gun shop and they should be able to direct you to one of these companies,as I cant remember for the life of me what the name is. You could also try a bigger wind screen as well. makes having to tuck in less of an ordeal. good luck.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 7/15/2011 11:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

You for not have to go to a local gun shop---though I advise it, but for indoor h/gun shooting we use soft ear plugs while most of those in trap use custom made or less expensive soft ear plugs & some with ear protectors, though same when shoot h/gun outdoor to rifle it is best of ear protection like we use indoor ranges.  A shop that sells tools for building homes to wood & such is ideal for a few.

Mine at the cheap soft ear plugs & I carry a few extra inside one pocket in case I loose one when taking off he helmet.

I had the carpentry shop order in a box of them being around 100pairs or more.

Now the other day I realized my youngest Shoei helmet was 6 yrs old & the other one was even older.  THAT is when a helmet might not do its THING if one comes off the bike.

So asked for the most loud looking Shoei X1000, but only a mix of red & black.  Accidently when about to rie home I had to stop, remove my new helmet & put in the soft ear plugs.  So from then on it was sort of geting to know the helmet along with my own dark sun glasses inside.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 8/1/2011 1:09:49 AM GMT

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 7/15/2011 12:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

SID, I was just gonna say better ear plugs! I have had severe problems with my head and ears for years and after 7 surgeries I am almost deaf now, so preserving what little hearing I have left is critical. Ear plugs were the biggest part of the equation for me. I knew I was not going to get much noise protection from the bike itself, and frankly I am finding that the Shoei RF-1100 is a pretty noisy lid. It's because of the recessess they have inside the ear pad area for fitting comm systems in there. And that little chin curtain they give you doesn't do much either.

I talked to my surgeon about it and he recommended a product called Doctors Ear plugs. You can get them out here from surf shops and hearing centers. They were designed to keep water from getting into your ears but they also end up sealing out a great deal of noise. They are not custom fit but they make many different sizes to fit most ear canals. The foam ear plugs did almost nothing. I tried some moldable wax ones, which mold nicely to your ear and work well, but you have to keep replacing them. The Doctors Ear plugs are washable, they are tethered so you don't lose them and they work great.  

Phil, I'm with you on the collar deal as well. I didn't want to mess with that Wind Jammer thing so I have been using a helmet sock or belaclava for a while now. Serves two purposes; better seal at the bottom of the helmet so wind coming up and under is reduced and it protects the helmet liner from persperation etc.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 7/30/2011 11:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...

I talked to my surgeon about it and he recommended a product called Doctors Ear plugs. You can get them out here from surf shops and hearing centers. They were designed to keep water from getting into your ears but they also end up sealing out a great deal of noise. 

Rap,

Are these the ones you are referring to? I found them at http://www.proplugs.com/ 

Ear Problem Prevention - Use Docs Proplugs!

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 7/31/2011 6:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I have had custom made ear plugs & really at a fabrication plant the noise was just as great, so I shifted to h/gun shooting muffs.  ALSO it seemed like I had to push the one on the right THROUGH to the other side of the head------obviously lousy workmanship.

Also once in removing my helmet I lost one & could not find it, so with a cheaper soft ear plug I put them on & still use them.

Your jacket looks pretty good & the colour is ideal.

Still that high neck piece would hinder me from making a quick check to the left or in my dead zone.  In Canada you must be able to do a shoulder check when riding or driving a cage.

Also I bought one that would be down to my hips in cold weather, but the zip on liner proved I could not do that shoulder check, so it being empty is a sort of lighter summer weather & for colder Autumn or Spring I use another model with no hindering for a shoulder check.

Phil B
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/1/2011 6:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smitty said...

Your jacket looks pretty good & the colour is ideal.

Still that high neck piece would hinder me from making a quick check to the left or in my dead zone. In Canada you must be able to do a shoulder check when riding or driving a cage.

Naw, it's kinda like wearing a turtleneck... BUT, it doesnt actually attach to the helmet (and stays OUTSIDE the helmet), so you can still move your head

Side note:
Since they're cheap, I decided to buy a windjammer.
sadly, it seems to be about the same.
(or "happily", for anyone who chooses to buy the jacket instead :)

So for reducing noise at 80mph, I guess there's no choice but a higher windscreen.
It's amazing how much difference there is between 70 and 80.
And, traffic around here goes at 80-ish. I'd rather go slower, personally :(

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 8/1/2011 2:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Phil B said...

So for reducing noise at 80mph, I guess there's no choice but a higher windscreen.
That depends on what height screen you are starting out with.
Often a taller screen will NOT help with noise or buffeting because the offending air is NOT coming over the top.

Phil B
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/1/2011 9:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...

That depends on what height screen you are starting out with.

and that would be "almost non-existant" :)
its a stock gs500f screen. So, low racing style.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 8/2/2011 4:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try MRA out of Germany or zero gravity for a higher screen... Both good companies. MRA have alot of touring,sport race,options available,motogp teams and BMW all use them. Zero gravity have loads of tints and styles as well. So your collar doesnt bother you? I had a MSR jacket with a high collar that drove me nuts. Good on you then Phil. I do like the color for visiblities sake. Did you try the ear plugs?
And Phil,just cause everybody's doing 80 doesn't mean you have too,don't leave your comfort zone,do your speed,your pace,and don't be intimidated or feel bad for it. Its your life not the traffic around you. It does get frustrating,I know but,if you are going faster than what you feel comfortable with,you run the risk of a accident. And accidents run the risk of serious injury or death as I'm sure you know.
On a funny note I always thought the gs had a nice looking screen,so much for that thought. lol
Hows the seat on your bike? My wife is getting a new bike next year and Im pushing for the gs,she wants a fz6,considerably more faster and expensive. Shes riding a dr350 right now and is doing well. But now she wants something we can take across country next year. Anyway just wondering how you like the arrangement Suzuki has going on the gs 500.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/2/2011 11:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well Enuff said...
RaptorFA said...

I talked to my surgeon about it and he recommended a product called Doctors Ear plugs. You can get them out here from surf shops and hearing centers. They were designed to keep water from getting into your ears but they also end up sealing out a great deal of noise. 

Rap,

Are these the ones you are referring to? I found them at http://www.proplugs.com/ 

Ear Problem Prevention - Use Docs Proplugs!

Well Enuff, thems be the ones! Sorry for the late response, I fell asleep at the switch there! But yeah,these things are really comfortable so you can wear 'em all day if you want to. I seal the opening off with a light layer of cotton just for extra filtering. The nice thing about these is that you can still basically hear what's going on around you, so if an ambulance or other emergency vehicle comes up behind or to the side of you you can still hear them. So they won't shut out everything, but it cuts the "bad" noise out pretty darn well. I think there might be better solutions out there, but they are typically custom fit jobs and costly. These seem to be working for me and they don't break the bank!   

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/2/2011 11:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Gang, I have made another pretty cool discovery with respect to wind noise reduction. I don't know that this applies to all helmets of course, but I discovered this on my Shoei RF-1100 and thought I would share.

I have stated that I thought that my Shoei lid was noisy. So I started doing some experiments while riding the other day and came across something pretty interesting. I got up to a little bit of high speed and started putting my left hand around different parts of the visor. Well I'll be darned if a good part of this went away when I covered right side high. Low too, but not as much. Air was getting into this area, so I figured my visor was warped. When I got home I took it off, cleaned it and inspected it. Oddly enough it did not look warped to me. Then it hit me; maybe the mount points were off. I had a memory of seeing something about this in a video regarding care and maintenance of your Shoei helmet. It was on one of the gear web sites, but I don't know if I should say which one 'cause I don't want to get in trouble with the site admins in case that is a no-no!

So I started looking and found the video in question, performed the procedures and now my visor seals much better than it did before. I mean A BUNCH BETTER!! It restored my love for the RF-1100, as it really is a great lid. The noise factor was just really disappointing. Not any more!

I'm sure many of you guys already knew this, but just in case... it sure made the point for me that I need to service the gear just as I do the bike!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Post Edited (RaptorFA) : 8/2/2011 6:37:34 PM GMT

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 8/2/2011 1:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...

I'm sure many of you guys already knew this,

Ya think ??

See my first answer to you; post #2 in this very thread. smilewinkgrin

Phil B
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/2/2011 1:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
el SID said...

On a funny note I always thought the gs had a nice looking screen,so much for that thought. lol
Hows the seat on your bike? My wife is getting a new bike next year and Im pushing for the gs,she wants a fz6,considerably more faster and expensive. Shes riding a dr350 right now and is doing well. But now she wants something we can take across country next year. Anyway just wondering how you like the arrangement Suzuki has going on the gs 500.

Looking nice, and "good for commuting" are two separate things :)
Actually, its quite useful to 60. and to some degree 70. but 80 is terrible, windwise. I have to full tuck.
I hear what you're saying about "go what you feel comfortable with". I'm okay with it, though. I just am miffed about it.

Oh, as far as the seat goes.. *I* find it very comfy. After a 2 hr canyon ride, it was my arms, not my .. 'seat'.. that was sore.
if your wife was stuck on a lil' ol' 350, I would strongly suggest she give a gs500 a try. I was also considering an fz6 for my future.. but after accidentally discovering yesterday, that the gs500 very comfortably cruises along at [safety edit][interstate I-5 speeds], at a mere 7,000 rpm.. (and redline is 11k) I dont think I really need any more power for a long, long time, if ever.
If you want to go "cross country" 2up at 100mph or something, then maybe an fz6 makes sense. Otherwise, I'd suggest the gs500

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/2/2011 5:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...
RaptorFA said...

I'm sure many of you guys already knew this,

Ya think ??

See my first answer to you; post #2 in this very thread. smilewinkgrin

Ummm... Oops!  Didn't scroll up high enough. However, going through the excercise was a good thing to do. Far better to learn these things at home rather than be fumbling around out in the field. And it saved me 50 bucks or so because I didn't have to buy a new visor. SO that's not a bad thing!  

SID, I'm looking at getting a Vario MRA shiled for the FA as well. Looks to be a very nice piece. And the money I saved on not having to buy a helmet visor practically pays for it! So that's not a bad thing either.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe