Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > wrist pain  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Phil B
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 126

Posted 7/18/2011 5:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm experiencing lingering wrist pain. Right hand,bottom of wrist. after switching to freeway riding.

Odd thing is, its same distance as I was doing previously, on surface roads.
Previously, it would take me 1 hour each way, and I'd get my clutch hand sore

Now it takes me 30 mins, but my right wrist is sore :(

words of advice?
"Dont overdo it, and it will toughen up"?
"Quit grabbing so hard"? :)

I'm on a GS500, so I have SOME forward position, but it's not a Gixxer or nuffin; It's a fairly upright riding position.
And if it was that, wouldnt both my wrists be sore?
or does the angle due to throttle turn, make that much difference?

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 7/18/2011 6:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Phil B said...
Yes.....as does the tightness of your grip.

To solve that (and other problems) I did:

Rotated bars back a bit for short arms and different grip angle.
Put on foam slip-on grip covers for a fatter and softer grip.
Put on a $5 throttle lock, really a band that adds drag to the throttle closing.

A lot of riders like the "Throttle Rocker" too.

P.S. Do you have a windshield ?  If not, you should consider one.
Having to HANG ON in a 70 MPH wind can cause lots of aches and pains.

Bullet
That guy

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 720

Posted 7/18/2011 8:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...
Phil B said...
Yes.....as does the tightness of your grip.

To solve that (and other problems) I did:

Rotated bars back a bit for short arms and different grip angle.
Put on a $5 throttle lock, really a band that adds drag to the throttle closing.

A lot of riders like the "Throttle Rocker" too.

P.S. Do you have a windshield ?  If not, you should consider one.
Having to HANG ON in a 70 MPH wind can cause lots of aches and pains.

2nd that. On surface roads you're extending your fingers to use the front brake but when you're on the freeway, not so much. My bike had pretty much upright position too and I got it once in a while. Not going to say tough it out but it will probably get better.

"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

Phil B
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 7/19/2011 8:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...

Huh. Didnt even consider a smooshier grip. guess I'll try that. thanks.

What would using a throttle lock get me, that just readjusting my grip, would not?

(ie: once at cruising speed, just rotating my wrist to match angle of my left hand?)

I dont really feel like I have to "hang on" against the headwind. presumably because I have a GS500F, not E.
It's not MUCH of a windshield.. but it exists smilewinkgrin

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 7/19/2011 9:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Yah, Mahn, Grip Puppies are the bomb! Makes a huge difference in over-all comfort. Many guys just change their grips out to something more to their liking. I also learned to tighten my core just a bit and made a very small adjustment to how I actually sat on the bike, with the goal of being more centered and stable, thereby taking just a little more pressure off of my arms.  

Your lower legs make great shock absorbers too, which reduces the shock that your arms and upper body have to withstand when the surface gets rough. All these little things add up to a much more comfortable ride, at least they did for me.

Good point about the windshield as well. I'm looking into getting a slightly taller shield for the GSX, which should reduce fatigue even more. I used to get punished on the Spyder until I figured that one out...

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 7/19/2011 10:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Phil B said...
What would using a throttle lock get me, that just readjusting my grip, would not?

I dont really feel like I have to "hang on" against the headwind.
It gets you the ability to completely relax your grip and exercise your hand......as well and zipping up your jacket and a few other things.  smilewinkgrin

If the wind is still hitting you in the chest or shoulders, then you ARE hanging on with some part of your body.
If your right hand is always on the grip, that is likely a big "anchor point" and you just aren't aware of it.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 7/29/2011 10:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

This comes up quite often with new riders.  Now the sort of cruise contol seems best to most if they are riding cruisers & on normal flat roads.  That is especially if you have a lot of flat roads.

I spend most of my hrs up in the Cdn Rocky Mountain roads with a lot of twisties & since I am riding a sportbike it would even be worse.

Still if you are going to a gym, then work of you hands, wrists or arms OR if you have a set of proper dumb bells THERE is the answer if you work out a bit.  I do this especially in the winter time.  YET will agree on my lst 5+ to 7+ hr run I will feel it a bit at the end of the day.

Can assure you when younger & doing a lot of dirt competition like flat tracking, scrambling, Enduros, Observed Trials, Cross Country Racing all starting out in 1947, THAT was the reason I was at the YMCA to see these guys rolling around on mats & found it was called Free Style Amateur Wrestling & even in my 50s I became a Certified Amateur Wrestling Coach up till '66.

Mind you I feel it when doing a lot of h/gun shooting for believe me a 45ACP semi-auto does kick though more to my right shoulder for I am right handed.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 7/31/2011 4:00:32 PM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 7/29/2011 4:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You know, a few months back I started developing tingling and numbness in the right hand.

It is now completely gone.

My solution?

Moved using my computer mouse from my right hand to my left hand.

Took about 2 weeks for all those effects to disappear completely!

Perhaps your issue is not caused by motorcycles.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 7/29/2011 4:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Constant gripping and tension in the right hand can cause wrist pain, perhaps related to carpal tunnel syndrome. As you gain experience hopefully your grip on the throttle may relax enough to reduce the muscle tension.

Maybe consider a "Wrist Rest" device, which allows you to use the "heel" of your hand to maintain the throttle position.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Phil B
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 7/30/2011 9:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...
You know, a few months back I started developing tingling and numbness in the right hand.

It is now completely gone.

My solution?

Moved using my computer mouse from my right hand to my left hand.

Took about 2 weeks for all those effects to disappear completely!

Perhaps your issue is not caused by motorcycles.

Interesting you say that.
I tried the same thing. And it went away, for the most part.

that being said, it doesnt mean it "is not caused by motorcycles".
It suggests that either of them is tolerable, but both of them together, is too much for my right wrist to deal with.
After all, I've been using the same workstation setup for years, with no effects like this.

I dont want to stay left handed though.. so I'm hoping that some of the other suggestions will help, and I can go back to being a rightie ;)

I've noticed that for some reason, my left hand curls more comfortably around its grip. Finger positioning is an odd thing, but apparently crucial when doing it for 30-60 mins at a time.

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 7/30/2011 11:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Right here at our favorite superstore you can get Cramp Busters

http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superstore.com/search#w=throttle

The one I use is called a Throttle Buddy and in general they are less than $15 US.

Phil B
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/1/2011 6:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmm. The odd thing is though... while I think that would be good for finger cramps.... for carpal tunnel, bottom-of-the-wrist pain, I would think that would be WORSE. Because to use it, you have to push against it with the bottom of your wrist? :(

Well Enuff

Date Joined Jul 2006

Posted 8/1/2011 12:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Phil, good observation.

I have my Throttle Rocker [which I mistakenly called a Throttle Buddy in previous posts] adjusted so I can slip my ring finger of my right hand under the paddle. That way just the slightest pressure w/ the finger keeps it comfy at cruising throttle. I didn't like the wrist-rest configuration that much. I'm the only one I know that uses it like this, but it works for me.

I am not wearing gloves in this pic because the lack of contrast black-on-black made it hard to see how the fingers fit the rocker.

Throttle Rocker® II

Phil B
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 8/4/2011 9:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...

Hey, can you recommend a brand? I tried browsing a couple of bike places near me, but they dont seem to have any :(

Well Enuff

Date Joined Jul 2006

Posted 8/4/2011 9:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Give our friends at Motorcycle Super Store a look.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/4516/ITEM/Pro-Grip-785-Superbike-Foam-Grip.aspx 

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 8/4/2011 11:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Phil B said...
Hey, can you recommend a brand?
My present ones are "Grab On" grip covers.
Got them at my Honda dealer; in or near the section where they sell helmets and gear.
If you don't see them, ask.
Got my first set years ago at a Harley dealer.

Brighteagle
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 8

Posted 8/30/2011 10:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Numbness can be caused by a number of things. Arm, leg and seat position play a part. Numbness is most commonly caused by vibration. Vibration in motorcycle riding can be caused by many different things. Obviously, the type of bike you have is a factor. If it’s supposed to vibrate, it’s gonna vibrate. But if you have a bike that’s not supposed to vibrate, maybe you need a tune up. In addition to above, have both wheels statically and dynamically balanced. This reduces wobble, increases road holding ability, reduces tire wear and reduces rider fatigue. You should check forks and swing arm for correct operation. Vibration can occur when there is a lack of fork oil and too much side play in the swing arm. Check the pannier box lids for proper fit and that they are locked. Check for worn neck bearings, for a bad motor mount, for tire pressure and tread, and for wheel weight problems. All of these factors contribute to motorcycle seat vibration problems. Also, hand fatigue caused by vibration in the handlebars can be remedied by changing to better handlebar grips.

Body position is important also. Your bike should be comfortable to you. You can move handlebars closer, raise or lower the seat, etc. Good aftermarket seats help absorb vibration. There are many things you can do besides getting new grips. But that's a great place to start.

Brighteagle

-----------------------> Comfort For The Journey!

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 9/3/2011 12:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What the others said, near-constant throttle twisting has your wrist in a bent position, and you're putting pressure on the nerves that way.

A throttle lock or rocker should help matters. Also, you can alleviate the symptoms a bit by twisting your wrist a bit forward when at 'throttle neutral' so that when you're riding along, cracking the throttle just a hair to maintain speed, your wrist is in the optimal position instead of bent up and back from your forearm.

-------
Don't let Frank see that, or he'll make us put it in the movie.