Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > Jonesing out for a Harley ride  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 8/7/2011 11:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My riding buddys Harley is down for repair. It's a 2000 Night Train with 42K miles on it. Problem is that he is going nuts not riding. Me also, love trading the 14 for a Harley ride. So he is going to pull it away from the Hog shop and get it running this week. I haven't rebuilt a V-twin in over 30 years. not a problem though, the Harley is the most easy engine to rebuild cept for two stroke motors. He's riding the 14 today to get his fix. Can't wait to get his ride online, both machines are addictive like a super drug.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 8/7/2011 12:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just take it as a challenge. As you say, it's an easy engine to work on. Good luck!

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 8/7/2011 5:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks RD, won't venture out of spec range and assume nothing. He's running 13-1 compression ratio which has to go. Not suitable for pump gas and the power gain is nill. The Harley is like a 305 Honda Super Hawk, no matter what you do the gain is slight. This week the Harley shop had a dyno shoot out, if they were in the 90 hp range they would throw their arm in the air as a major victory. The best was a 135 hp S&S motor from a patch holder. My Harley bud just shook his head, the ZX-10 that he owns and races makes 160 rwhp on the dyno at this altitude 4200' MSL. He likes his Harley for the same reasons I do. Like the scooter they are plain cool.

Post Edited (ZX Rider) : 8/8/2011 2:38:23 AM GMT

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 8/7/2011 10:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
13:1 is too much for the street. I used aviation fuel when that was cheap and available. I took it down to 11.5:1.
That goes for high octane.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 8/7/2011 10:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like it's gonna be a fun project for you ZX. I almost got to ride my Nephew's '08 Nightster yesterday. He wants to sell it 'cause he's just not riding it since he bought it new. It's a shame, too, because it's a great looking bike and it only has 642 miles on it. His permit expired but the tags and insurance were up to date so I was going to ride it over to his place for him. It's been garaged at a friend's house. I was pretty excited about it as I wanted to see how she felt to ride. But alas, the darned thing wouldn't start. We tried various things to get her going but there is something going on beyond the obvious (battery, fuses, relays, etc.) Oh well. Maybe when he gets it sorted out I can take her out for a run. We'll see I guess.  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 8/17/2011 4:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tearing the Harley down tonight plus the 14. Ouch! never seen a Harley leak oil in years. First time also a 14 blows a head gasket.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 8/25/2011 3:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, Sir, your plate just got pretty full! Sounds like you can more than handle the tasks though. Never did get to ride that nightster, darn it. Nephew got her running and sold it 3 days later. Maybe some other time on some other machine. Heck, I might just rent one some day just to see what it's all about. It has been so long I don't even remember. The one I rode very briefly back in the day was one of those made during the AMF era, so some would say that doesn't even count. Still, I am curious.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe